Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 3 window questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratrodnut, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

Getting coupe thurs missing one door. Are all years doors the same for three windows? Dont know year of coupe yet. Anybody modified a door from some other chevy body style mabee more plentyful? Any help appreciated.

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Without more details, particularly the year of the car, your question is impossible to answer.

3. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

Ok have to get car home and try to figure out year thanks tagman

4. Ghost28

Ghost28

I like them old chevys this should be interesting. I think I will follow along. Post some pic's when ya get it.

5. squirrel

squirrel

If you're luck it will still have the cowl tag, and will tell you the year and body job number such as STYLE 36-1017 or something. Then you'll be able to figure it out.

Some of the 3 windows use the same door as a 5 window. Some models of the 33 and 34 are the same, some models of the 35 and 36 are the same, but they did the fun game of putting suicide doors on most of the 35s? but not the 36

6. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

Looking at the pics i have of car not suicide and top cornersof door rounded. My 5 window doors top front rounded back square.

7. squirrel

squirrel

probably a 36?

[​IMG]

8. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

No my body line runs allway down quarter to tail pan .

9. Sounds like a 33 or 34

Attached Files:

10. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

Yep that looks like it. So what are my dooor options if any.

11. My parts book lists 1933 = Job 33578 Master , Job 33607 Standard Sport Coupes and For 1934= Job 34578 Master and Job 34607 Standard Sport Coupes as using the same doors. Original part numbers are
    Left door=4036206
    Right door=4036205
    It doesn't look like any other year or model will fit.
    I hope this helps.....Good luck

12. Ghost28

Ghost28

13. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

Thanks guys going after car tomorrow and will figure out how to post pics on here- firewall first.

14. fatkoop

fatkoop

In '33, Chevy made Standard, Master, and Mercury coupes. You will have to know which one you have before anyone can answer your question.

15. As previously noted, you really need to know what you have, particularly if it's a '33. So, really hope it has the model tag on the firewall. The '35 Standard is the same as the '34 Standard. The '35 Master is a "Turret Top" design such as the green '36 pictured earlier in the thread and has the suicide doors.

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I believe Master doors also longer than standards, if the car has a central speedo with parallel leaf springs in the front it's a Standard, if speedo is in front of driver and there's a a glove compartment in front of passenger along with knee action F/E it's a Master. Other hang on panels won't interchange.

17. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

turns out its a 33 standard mercury coupe has 33-607 on the cowel tag.

18. Now, you know what you've got. It's the Mercury series, better known today as the Standard series, two passenger coupe with trunk. There were only about 9K of that model made out of about 36K Mercury series vehicles. I can tell you for sure that any '33 3W door, whether it be Eagle (Master) or Mercury series, will be the same. I'm not as positive about the '34 or '35 standards, but I think they are the same. I can take some measurements to be sure if you're unable to locate another '33 door.

19. ok, called a friend of mine and compared his '33 master 3w doors to my '33 mercury series 3w coupe and the doors are the same. here are some measurements of my car for you to compare to yours;grill shell insert opening 28 1/2", hood length at bead 36 3/16", it has 17 vertical hood louvers and one "fake one. windshield and dashboard width 39", windshield height 10", rumble lid 26 1/2" x 40", rear roll down window 32 1/2" across middle 8" high. front edge of door lines up with back edge of fender [master fender is 2" further back] body between doors at window opening height is 49". hope this helps.

20. so... how is it? did you get it? what's the plan?

21. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

Yeh i got it. In my garage . Plan is find doors or modify others to fit. Have two drivers side three window doors couple of inches to long. Must be 34 or 35 doors prob master. Think can cut to fit but dont have pass door. While looking i am proceeding with my 5 window which i have doors for.

22. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

I got it looking for doors. Hard to come by looks like. Looking into modifying other doors nothing yet.

23. Go VCCA Chat and post your needs......Always helped me out you might get lucky
    http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php

24. ratrodnut

ratrodnut

Tryed to register on vcca couldnt get it done got frustrated. Said i had to use alpha numeric letters thought i was.