Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 292 Water Pumps: Whats everyone do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodi, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Hey all. I'm currently having issues with the task of water pump replacement on my 292 inline 6. I've searched the archives, and found little definitive.

Here's the deal: My 292 is a 1964 model. The 1963-64 models have water pumps with the 1" bypass spout that comes off the driver's side of the pump, and goes up to the thermostat housing. Everywhere I've checked, these pumps are expensive, and special order. The price doesn't concern me too much, but, I'd like to plan ahead for when the replacement part wears out (which usually is very quickly) in the middle of nowhere.

The next generation of pump was used from 65-73 or so. It has a bypass spout in the same basic location on the drivers side, but, it is for 1.25" hose. These pumps aren't as expensive, and somewhat more readily available.

From what I've found, after 73 or so, the bypass style water pumps were no longer used. I also can't find any information on the hub-height of the 63-4 versus the 65-73 pumps.

So, what's everyone out there doing to replace the early water pumps? Are the hub heights the same? Are people just machining down the 65-73 pumps to accept a 1" hose and cutting the hose down? My thermostat housing is already modified to fit the Offy valve cover, so, I'd prefer not to replace it, and I don't have any of the 65-73 thermostat housings around....

Sorry for the long winded post, just being thorough.

Thanks for any help.

Any ideas would be welcome.

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a firm (one man band?) rebuilding water pumps for vintage/classic/specialty cars.
    Hemmings Motor News may have an ad.

I had a Continental Mark IV pump done (carbon seal, and sealed bearings) by a man in Redwood City in '82, shortly after, he sold the business to Ron Dunn (Vintage Ford in Santa Clara, CA)
    The process was very sophisticated, and was said to outlast the fresh engine!

3. IMHO the housing change would be the way to go, or else sleeve it somehow so you can run the larger hose.

4. this is what I have - new - not rebuilt from the mid 70's 65-71 casting # 3947051...been dwell'n what to do or how to sell these...pm me if interested.....

lwf

aw896.jpg

292 - 896.jpg