Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 283 engine ideal temperature???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobbedT, Oct 24, 2006.

1. A mate of mine has a 283 chev motor in his 50 Pontiac and is worried about the temperature going too high in the summer and in traffic, he asked me to try and find the normal/optimum temperature that it should run at - so I figured this would be the best place to try. Can anyone help??

thanks

Bob

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Personally, I want it to run between 180 and 210. 180 on the road with it climbing to 210 in heavy traffic. You want a minimum of 180. The upper limit will depend on the make up of your cooling system. If you are running a modern radiator with a 15# pressure cap and a coolant recovery system, it can opperate in the 220 range safely as all the new cars do.

I've cooled a few 283s with original non-pressurised radiators and mechanical fans. That's why I like the 180-210 range. No boil over if kept below 212. It can be done with out electric fans and high dollar radiators. Good luck.

3. Depending on temperature outside, ours stays pretty deadlocked between 190-200.

4. ResedaCoupe

ResedaCoupe
    from Benson, VT

Well Put!
    FWIW - this is the exact answer I came up with when I asked the same question. It's based on a consensus of opinions from guys I trust.

5. squirrel

squirrel

yup, and if you search for the other 23,482 threads on the subject you'll find the same thing.

6. Thanks fellas, Ill tell him today

cheers

Bob