Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 261 made in 1964?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Pav8427

Pav8427

Dodge flatheads and 3 speeds were intalled in Bombadier track rigs till atleast 65.
    Had a J5 for a hunting rig in Alaska till we swapped in a Ford 200/C4.

2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

If you don't sell it tomorrow let me know.... Maybe I'll come up with a cherry 49 0r 50 2dr to put it in:cool:

3. squirrel

squirrel

I haven't sold it....if you want it, come and get it :)

scotty t and 302GMC like this.
  4. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Damnit Jim, Now I gotta make a roadtrip... I'm sure the wife wouldn't mind a couple a days in Arizona...

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The GM heritage archive vehicle information kit for 61 trucks shows the 261. Scroll down until your scroll finger hurts or you find the engines 1961-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf (gm.com) It also shows it for 62
    63 shows 230 or 292. Screenshot (321).png Screenshot (322).png

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I think you may have a solution in front of you! Put the flattie in your O/T Mopar.

As an example, if the moderators will permit this very trad engine in an O/T vehicle, I present to you a similar combo which is bound to have the younger generations asking beaucoup questions:

flattie bronco 02.jpg

A flattie in a Bronco II!

R A Wrench likes this.
  7. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I like the way you think ..... I do have this current project .... problem is, it has a flathead 6 that runs pretty decent ....:mad: The old Mopar 6's were known to be a solid motor.
    They never will sound like a Ford V8 with a cam & headers though.

IMG_20231112_112412.jpg

The 51 8BA came out of a truck and I have the 4 speed crash box to go with it .... it would be a simple swap.

IMG_20231112_112423.jpg

I guess picking up the 318 I'm hoping I will forget about putting the 8BA into the Dodge :rolleyes:

alanp561 and Okie Pete like this.
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe a slant six?

Okie Pete likes this.
  9. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I do not want to take this thread off the tracks. .... My point was we often pickup engines as they come along even though we have no immediate plans for them. ..... @squirrel mentioned he might take his to a local swap meet to find a new home.

My flathead 6 runs good, compression is between 90-110 in all cylinders .... been parked for 20+ years .... it needs driven. The only advantage I would have using the 8BA is, they make me smile from ear to ear when I hear them run. I had a 51 Ford truck when I was in high school. Brings back memories.

I literally pulled the 8BA out of a scrap pile. It was going in the next trip.
    I pulled it apart for inspection ... it was stuck. I am convinced the farmer over revved the engine and spun a bearing with low miles on it. .... He had it rebuilt, crank is turned 10 - 10, Stock bores with zero ridge .... couple of new valves, new valve springs ..... Timing chain, gears, Crank is beautiful.
    The fuel pump was missing.
    My detective brain tells me the farmer rebuilt the engine, the fuel pump went out and they pulled it off ... got busy with life and it sat for 50 years. .... you never know what you find in a scrap pile.

With a good cleaning this will be a running motor again. Shows no wear, just very dirty.
    1009211033b.jpg
    The 318 I am to pickup next week from a fellow hamber. All I know about it is it was running ok when pulled, the transmission was noisy in neutral ..... His wife thinks it is a eyesore sitting in front of the garage. ...... Hey it can come sit in my garage any day. Be happy to save it from the scrap yard.
    Who knows what the future holds for it.

Algoma56 and alanp561 like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Engine options for US built 1964 Chevy trucks of all sizes from pages (gm.com) Screenshot (330).png Screenshot (331).png

11. SR100

SR100

I’d have to see documentation for this. How did the government give away something that they didn’t own? Who did they allegedly give the Harley design to? Rikuo? Nope.

12. It was part of the government contacts issued during the war effort, part of what occupation forces did after the was rebuild the Japanese economy.

The Allies (mostly the U.S.) gave the Austin design to the Japanese which became Datsun, and finally Nissan.

Just as they gave the Blueflame Chevrolet 6 engine to Toyota, and the 45 Harley

It's all well known to anyone who has studied history, I suggest reading any number of books about the war in the Pacific, and the occupation.

51504bat likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

Look up the A10 and A20 Toyota automatic transmissions. Not sure what this has to do with the 261 engine, but it sort of has to do with the 235 and 230. But they were both long after the war, so I don't fully buy the war tie-in. So was the 4x4 drivetrain.

14. KenC

KenC

The Japanese industry was great at copying, then improving things. Not sure there was any giving involved, maybe just reverse engineering. The 50s/60s Toy six looked like a 235/261 but no parts interchange. Even the four used in early models looked like a 235 missing a couple of cylinders.

Los_Control and squirrel like this.
  15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Having endured the A20 Toyoglide, I can't see the attraction of a Powerglide.

squirrel likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

The A10 is fantastic, it's a miniature aluminum copy of the cast iron PG

17. SR100

SR100

I've read a lot of history, including WWII history. The blunt reality is that the US government has no ability to give things it does not own.
    Licensed production of the flathead Harley (45 and 74) began in Japan in 1929. The license fees helped Harley survive the doldrums of the depression. Rikuo built them on Harley supplied tooling. They declined a Knucklehead license in 1937 and built the flathead until the end of production in 1959.
    The Austin design was licensed by Nissan (already the corporate name) directly from Austin in December 1952. The occupation had officially ended in April 1952. You can read about it here, the license agreement is on pp.26-31.
    Again, I ask you for evidence, not assertions, that the U.S. government gave designs 'to the Japanese.'

427 sleeper and squirrel like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yuppers I have heard that BS that the Toyota six was built off 235 plans but as he said, nothing interchanges. It's more of a case of studying something and going out and making your own version with your specs.