Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 261 Build May 1955

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlowandLow51, Feb 26, 2018.

1. SlowandLow51

SlowandLow51

Anyone want to duplicate the May 1955 Chevrolet 261 Build? I even have the 3 pot McGurk Intake. The only thing different is the pistons are jahns 3 7/8, not the original mcgurk brand. I have a 261 going into my 47 business coupe, but I may build another up with these parts. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. That's a great build- I say go for it!!! I have my dad's 261 with the Corvette cam gear and 848 head that Bill Jenkins (pre-grumpy days) ported. Unfortunately, some mice made their home in the lifter valley and the mains got a little oil-starved (long story- tell you Sat if you come :D), so it needs a rebuild...

I have good spare 848 head if you're interested- can bring it to Brad54's swap meet in Commerce this Saturday if you want!

3. SlowandLow51

SlowandLow51

I wish I could go this Saturday.I have to go help my brother pick up a 48 farmall model a tractor. I have quite a few parts for these engines that I would probably sell to help fund some other areas of my 47 Chevy business coupe that could use some help. I would be interested in the 848 head though. Any chance we could meet up some weekend? I have a new bare 848 head, but I like to keep a spare or two around just in case.

4. SlowandLow51

SlowandLow51

Here’s a couple of pics of the 261 going on my 47. I am going to run a Edmonds custom intake setup for Stromberg carbs, Fenton headers, bulldog cam, offenhauser rocker cover, a stovebolt engineering sidecover, an unknown aluminum timing cover, vintage mallory dual point, and a vintage Mallory magspark coil.

Attached Files:

5. 6inarow

6inarow

Looks great. Spill about the "unknown timing cover...."

6. SlowandLow51

SlowandLow51

It is aluminum, probably a modern piece. It has no markings on it anywhere, and I have never seen one like it.

Clay Belt likes this.
  7. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Slow----looks like you converted the breather tube to PVC. Can't see on the intake/exhaust side picture where the line goes. Could you provide more detail?

8. SlowandLow51

SlowandLow51

I bought this engine as built. The guy was building a Viking 6500 truck, and he changed directions and decided to sell the 261. I can take any pics you need but it will be the weekend before I can do so. Mike

9. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike, thanks. I will check back

10. Mike,

Absolutely- Mrs. Yankee and I have been talking about getting the kids up to Amicalola Falls anyway, so this is another great reason to go :D!

11. oldwagonlover

oldwagonlover

I would be interested in building up a 261 with those parts!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

12. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sold the wagon in my avatar so the 261 with speed parts that I was going to build needs another home. It's in the classifieds if anyone is interested.