Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy 235 to t5 trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdrodder, Feb 12, 2008.

1. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

Anyone ever put a 55 to 62 chevy 235 chevy six to a t5 trans from a chevy with the manuel speedometer. Im getting ready to do it to my 235:D. What did you have to change for it to fit. The car i am putting it in is a 58 chevy truck and want to keep the footstater. One website had it but it expired. Please help

2. gas pumper

gas pumper

ya need to go look in the "Tech Archives"
    All the t-5 stuff is organized there,

And you can keep the kick starter, by using your bellhousing.

Frank

3. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Use your bellhousing, an astrovan clutch disk that has the right spline count. You will have to shorten the input shaft by about 7/8 of an inch. There really isn't much to it. Look in the tech archives and there is everything you ever wanted to know.

Here are some links to get you started.

Inliners tech page

http://www.inliners.org/Jack/t5_page.html

Page with all of the Identification codes for the t5

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm

t5 into a 53 truck?

http://www.mongosgarage.com/tech/t5/index.htm

T5 index on 5 speeds site

http://www.5speeds.com/t5/index.html

Links here on the HAMB

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169265

Cross member info

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234097

4. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Hey man - thanks for compiling this list of links... this should be pinned at the top of the Tech Archives!

- Joe

5. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

They are. Once I'm done with mine I'm going to write a full tech.

6. Snarl

Snarl

7. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

You can do it either way.

8. Snarl

Snarl

If you take 7/8" off the input shaft, you won't have anything left to stick into the pilot bushing...

Just make the input shaft and collar the same length as the 3spd thats being replaced.

9. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Everything I have ever read says to either use an addapter with the stock bellhousing or get a truck bell housing and shorten you imput shaft any where from 3/8 - 7/8 depending on your measurments. That just what I have read and what I've been told.

10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

All of this is true only if you have a T5 from a Chevy V8 or some V6s. If it is from an S10 it's a whole different deal! There are a couple of clutch splines and one gives you no stock clutch bigger than about 8 1/2 inches if I remember. You have to have a plate made other wise. The other spline is the same as the Astro van and can be had at least up to 11". You can make a 3/8 adapter plate and that makes the shaft length OK, but some mods of the upper two bolt holes are still needed because they are too close to the original ones. I should have taken pics and kept notes. In the long run the V8 tanny is a better deal.

11. not so hotrod

not so hotrod
    from MA

dont forget guys the reason why people (like myself) ask these questions about the T5's is because there isnt enough letters in the actuall word "T5" or "T-5" to turn anything up in the search function.
    I guess you have to type "transmission" and search through the results that way.

12. burger

burger

Go to Google.com and type t5 OR "t-5" site:www.jalopyjournal.com into the search box.

Presto Bango.

13. Some S10s have a V6 ? ... First I've heard anywhere of spline count issues. I have a T4 sitting here out of a 2.8 S10 (yes, it's almost the same as a T5 but no OD, only made 1986-1989). I'm going to use a car bellhousing and an adapter, so I'll probably send it off to be modified when the time comes.

14. Snarl

Snarl

Guys, I've done this swap several times. The first one I did I only had that stovebolt article as a guide and I didn't have any problems. It is a complete and factual article. If you still don't understand something after reading it, then ask questions.

As for using the T5 in Chevy applications, only the S10 versions have a longer input shaft and collar.
    When using this version with a standard Chevy bellhousing, the tip of the shaft needs to be shortened about 3/8-1/2", and the input collar needs to shortened as well, but I can't recall exactly by how much. Just compare it to you old tranny.
    The only time you really need to use an adapter in a Chevy application is on the 49-54 cars. This adapter will pull the tranny back enough that shortening the input shaft isn't needed, but you will still want to shorten the collar some.
    All Chevy T5's are 14 spline, except for the V8 Camaro ones which are 26 spline. You can get several sizes of clutch discs for both splines. For 11" clutches, try an Astro van for the 14 spline, and the V8 Camaro for the 26 spline. For the other sizes, I don't have them committed to memory, but they do exist. I can try to find the list later on if anyone needs it.

Some people with 49-54 cars will use a 48-59 truck bellhousing to get around having to use a $120 adapter, but they end up bending the clutch fork in order to get it to hook up to the original clutch linkage. Any engineer can tell you that this is not really a good idea as it will apply a twisting force on the throwout bearing which can cause premature bearing failure over time. I am currently working on a solution for this problem that I hope to be able to market later this year.

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Gee, I wonder who snuck in there and put all those funny little splines on my S10 input shaft,it must have been crowded in there!

16. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

OK cool. I am only familiar with the s-10 version. I knew it needed to be shortened. I just did't know that they weren't all the same.

As for bending the clutch fork... Can the linkage be made longer to fix this problem?

17. $120 is pretty cheap for an adapter, I thought, the guy at Buffalo will machine your input shaft if you send it to him, too. I have the trans and the car, but it's all in storage for the winter. I still have to round up a rearend somewhere.

18. Snarl

Snarl

The problem on 49-54 cars is the angle that the fork comes out of the bellhousing. The length of the linkage isn't the issue.

Another place to use the adapter would be if you are using a bellhousing that has the pedal assembly attached to it, and you need to keep it.

Yes, Buffalo is who makes the adapter. He'll take your collar and countersink the 4 bolt holes for you as part of the price. Technically, you could just grind 4 reliefs in the face of the bellhousing if you wanted to.

19. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

thanks guys you just made me and my son happy:D. Thanks alot for the help. I know were to get the trans but i was not sure how to put it on and the website i had expired. Thanks again

20. why use a adaptor when all you need to do is shorten the input shaft and bearing retainer. check out www.stovebolt.com and do a search "t-5" and all the info you need plus pic's are on the site. good luck.

21. Snarl

Snarl

Nobody said to use the adapter plate on the trucks.
    I allready posted the link to the stovebolt site.
    Please re-read what I posted...