Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 235 core plug size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StefanS, May 25, 2017.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

How's it going everyone? I finished my t5 swap yesterday...or so I thought. The very last thing I did was pour coolant in. Right before I fired it up, I heard a sound. The coolant was pouring out of the rear of the motor, in front of the flywheel. I can only assume it's the core plug in the rear center, since I didn't see any cracks while I had it all apart. Now, before I pull the motor out to fix it, I'd like to have the new plug on hand. There's nothing worse than getting in the groove, only to have to stop and go on a parts run. So my question is, does anyone know what size that plug is on a '58 Chevy 235 (or all the water jacket plugs for that matter...may as well switch them all while I'm at it)? The one on my '51 235 is 2" but didn't they increase the size on the later motors? Thanks to all for any info. Here's a video.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

It's still 2'', Stefan ...

3. 1961 Poncho

1961 Poncho
    from Las Vegas

Replace when it was out? If it's a rear plug, pop a hole in the firewall if there is not an access port there already. Save pulling the engine

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The plug's under the bellhousing, flywheel must be removed ... it's easier to pull the engine so you can work out in the open.

5. 1961 Poncho

1961 Poncho
    from Las Vegas

What year engine?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

It was 2" but it was the disc type plug, not a standard plug. The plug was $.50. It was dry from sitting for who knows how long so it didn't look like it had a hole at all. The good news is, I found a ton of junk in the back of the motor that I was able to get out so maybe it's a good thing this happened..? 20170525_131220.jpg There was enough of this stuff to make a baseball

7. good.....my story on a bought car the owner paid a chisler replace the original motor with another running one .....the damn fool tried to put silicone on that rear one....held for awhile....like was said they only cost 50 cents..