Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 235 6 banger valve lash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bustingear, Dec 27, 2003.

1. bustingear

bustingear

I am ready to adjust the valve lash on my chevy 235 6. I will do this while the car is running.
    I have the settings and know to do it while engine is hot. Any tips for procedure and order?? How is the best way to keep the oil from sloshing out?

2. An old trick (I have never tried) I heard of was to cut the top off an old valve cover. Then run a piece of fuel hose around the top so you don't cut yourself TOO badly. [​IMG]

Jay

3. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 235" in my '37 Chevy coupe and have never had problem with oil sloshing out when it's at idle with the valve cover off, adjusting the tappets. If you go reving it up, the oil pressure is naturally higher & the wind from the fan can blow the oil around and make a mess, but usually you don't adjust valves at 4k RPM, do ya ? [​IMG]

Procedure-wise, I just run the engine for 20 minutes or a half-hour or so, to make sure all the internal parts are normalized to the same operating temp. Then I remove the valve cover, set engine speed to a fast idle (600 RPM) and go through & adjust all the exhaust tappets first (.013"-.015") and then all the intakes (.006"-.008"), just so I don't screw up and make a wrong adjustment to the wrong tappet.

5. Hugh Jarse

Hugh Jarse

I always did 'em with the engine stopped.Never had a problem.If you want to be dead on,adjust 'em with a dial indicator

6. JSM56

JSM56

how exactly do you adjust them when the engine is running? on my 223 ford six, i do it with the engine off and use feeler guages. the manual i read also says to do it with the engine cold and if i remember right, ford 223 is 17 thousandths on the intake and 19 on exhaust. have i been adjusting valves wrong for the last seven years?

7. bustingear

bustingear

Tag Man good to see another Rochesterian. I am from Victor and now living in Big D Texas.

JSM56....On the F***D engine. Everyone knows they are Bass Ackwards!

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JSM56, I was taught 40+ years ago to set the tappet clearance with the engine running and just always have done it that way. It's not difficult, once you do it and get the hang of it. I've also done it with the engine stopped and with a dial indicator, but for me, it's easier & faster to do it with the engine running. To each, their own, I guess.
    As far as clearances go, every engine has it's own specs. When in doubt, go by the manual. [​IMG]

9. Mike

Mike

JSM56, all of the shop manuals that I've read for the 223 6cyl say to adjust the valve with the engine not running. Bring the cylinder to TDC, adjust valve lash for both intake and exhaust to .017-.019 (hot or cold), manually turn the engine so the next cylinder is at TDC and repeat until all the valves are adjusted. That's how I do it.