Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 230 Inline 6 Valve Lash Adjustment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Century, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Century

Century

Hi all - I had the intake and valve cover apart to replace the gaskets on my '63 Bel Air, so I figured I would do a valve adjustment while I was there. I have the 230ci inline six motor. I did it the adjustment by the book, ensuring both valves were closed on the cylinder on was working on, then tightening the rocker nut until all lash was gone, and then turning the nut an additional one full turn. I have done this adjustment twice now.

I had no valve train noise before the adjustment. Now I can't seem to get rid of the ticking/chatter.

Any ideas?

2. Bigdavid

Bigdavid
    from Tennessee

I always have better luck adjusting valves on my 250 I liner when I do the adjustment with the engine running

ClayMart and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. Try adjusting the lifters only a quarter turn or so past zero lash. A full turn may have moved the piston and valves further into the lifter body where there's a build up of varnish and sludge. Things may free up a bit with more driving, especially if you add some detergent additive (Rislone, SeaFoam, GM Positrac Additive, or the like) to the oil.

And as mentioned above, adjust them with the engine running at operating temperature even if it make a little mess. :rolleyes: