Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 1955 3 Speed Manual Rebuild or Not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jason of Oakland, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Jason of Oakland

Jason of Oakland

Just pulled the 3 speed out of my car because it was leaking and I wanted to change the front and rear seals. A few weeks ago, I thought it needed to be rebuilt but realized the howling was from low oil in the gear box. When I filled the trans it was much quieter but still howled a little when I was decelerating in 1st and 2nd. Front shaft has a small amount of play. Is that normal? Will a rebuild kit take care of that?

I have never rebuilt a trans but I have a manual. Will I need the special tools the manual instructs to use?

2. The box probably needs an overhaul, probably the front bearing is shot from what you describe. You really have to pull it apart to assess the internals properly. If the gears are in good shape, the box is probably worth rebuilding, or pick up another used one and rebuild that one so you can keep driving.

It all depends on how pure you want to keep the car, a newer box might be the way to go if you can live with it being a non-matching component.

For tools, snap ring pliers and a good bench vise are essential, drift pins and soft punches too. You may need a press for a couple of things, which you can have an automotive machine shop do for you.

Bob

3. Jason of Oakland

Jason of Oakland

That's what I thought. I don't really care about original parts but I was hoping to do a few seals and throw in back in. If I take it apart, I will also do the overdrive unit. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

Thanks for the second opinion.

-Jason

4. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

It is an easy job to put a 4 speed in, if you wanted to. A Muncie is the same length and bolt pattern, (to the bellhousing), so the stock bellhousing and driveshaft will work with out being shortened. The driveshaft yoke would have to be changed to a fine spline one though. Otherwise, a 4 speed trans, a Hurst shifter, and maybe a new clutch disc, will do it. If the Muncie has a coarse spline input shaft, you don't even have to change the clutch disc. You may need a longer speedo cable and housing. It depends if the Muncie's speedo gears are on the driver or pass. side.

5. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

i got 3 or 4 good 3 speeds and a couple 4 speed aluminum muncies ,that need rebuilt if you wanna go that route. pm me if your interested.