Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevrolet truck grills

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUSTEE 57 GMC, Nov 17, 2013.

1. RUSTEE 57 GMC

RUSTEE 57 GMC
    from Tennessee

I hope that I am posting this in the right catagory. My question is about a 1957 Chevrolet 3100 truck I just purchased. The truck as no grill in it. The Vin number says it is a 1957 model. But after closer inspection, I have noticed that the front fenders have the 1955-1956 side emblems on it instead of the "oval style" side emblems that would be correct for a 1957 Chevy truck. It still has the 1957 Hood on it as well. Now I know that over the years that alot can and does happen to cars and trucks that are as old. I fiqured that maybe someone has changed or replaced the front fenders at one time. But what I want to know is that if you can put in a 1955 or 1956 or 1957 Chevy truck grill in it and it will fit properly? If any model grill will work, I might go along with the 1955 or 56 grills. I was hoping that someone else might have ran into the problem before. I have no way of measuring or comparing one from another. Thanks for any help.

2. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

• I think 55-57 is interchangeable. I have both grills for my truck, haven't tried the 55 one in it yet though.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Every piece of front sheet metal is slightly different between the 56 and 57. The fenders for the 57 have a flat spot and bolt hole on the side of the grille, half way up the grille. The piece above and below the grill are different. The hood is different.

4. RUSTEE 57 GMC

RUSTEE 57 GMC
    from Tennessee

Thanks, Squirrel for the Info. So I guess you are saying that the 55 and 56 grills will not work on my 57 at all (unless as I suspect) someone has in the past changed the front fenders and put on 55 or 56 front fenders. I was afraid there could be differences, but I was not really sure and I hate to buy a grill that would not work. Have you ever seen someone use the front sheetmetal from a 57 to install a 55-56 grill? Thanks again, Squirrel

5. squirrel

squirrel

I think I have both sets of parts. I could get some pics of if you want to see what the differences are.

6. squeaky32

squeaky32

if i remember right there is slight differences between all of them so not all the grills work. well wont work without modification.

7. ...will a 57 hood fit on a 55 ok?

8. squirrel

squirrel

The hoods swap, they just look different.

9. squirrel

squirrel

pics of the differences. The 57 grille sits in front of the grille opening. The 55-56 grille sits inside the opening. So the 57 opening has bolt holes around it, while the other does not. The 55-56 lower panel also has little stands that the grille bolts to, the 57 panel is missing the stands, and has holes further forward.

Attached Files:

10. ...thanks fer that info!

11. RUSTEE 57 GMC

RUSTEE 57 GMC
    from Tennessee

Thanks again, Squirrel for the good Info! I had no idea about the differences in the mountings of the grills and I am very grateful for your helping me. I believe that I have a passenger side fender that appears to be a 55 or 56 fender. The top portion next to the hood where the grill would bolt up to is a 57 and so is the driver's side fender. However, I do not have the bottom piece (I guess it is called the valance)that the 57 grill bolts onto. So with these mixed/matched parts that I have so far on my truck, what year grill would you be looking for that would look factory and not be a royal pain to install as I am not what you would call "Experieneced" with modifications whatsoever? A 55-56 grill or a 57 grill?

12. squirrel

squirrel

57 will be easiest to install, it will cover up any work you have to do to the mountings. Also it will fit on the 55-56 lower panel that has the towers, it just won't use the towers.

You'll need to either modify the one 55-56 fender to clear the bracket on the grille, or remove the mounting bracket.

13. RUSTEE 57 GMC

RUSTEE 57 GMC
    from Tennessee

Squirrel, you are amazing! I really appreciate your efforts in helping me on grill selection. The truck is in very rough condition. I do have a 1979 Camaro subframe and rear, 2 good doors for the 57 truck, a well worn 350 for power, and a set of 8in. Corvette rally wheels with tires already to go for the truck, a Chevy van titlt column without the ignition key in the column,and other misc. items. I have a very good friend who has a welder and alot more knowledge in his little finger than I do on my whole body. He has offered to help me get it in rolling and steering condition for me. I am really hoping that with the Camaro subframe and rearend that the vette rally wheels will fit under it and trun fine without rubbing issues. Rear wheel size is 275x60x15 and 225x 70 fronts if I remember correctly. I had plans of lowering it and doing this project on the cheap. If you have anymore thoughts on this topic, please feel free to let me know by PMing me ro otherwise. You are a great source of information that I am in desperate need of.
    Thanks!

14. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

I recently got my 57 suburban (with 56 front sheetmetal...which is why I know so much about it) running. It has an early 70s Camaro subframe, and an early 9" rear with a funky suspension setup that I invented. I think the truck sits nice, it has enough ground clearance that I can drive it anywhere, but it's low enough that it looks right.

rear suspension: stock rear leafs, under the axle, mounted on the old front spring hangars, so the springs are under the frame (shackle is at the back of the spring). About as low as you can go without notching the frame.

there's a link below in my signature

15. RUSTEE 57 GMC

RUSTEE 57 GMC
    from Tennessee

Hey Squirrel,
    Man, that is one NICCCE Suburban! I guess that is the nicest one I have ever seen too. I like your 56 grill in it too. You have something to be very proud of for sure! Anything I have will never be that nice. You can tell alot of time and love was spend on yours. I appreciate your telling me that you used a Camaro clip as well on your ride. That makes me feel better already knowing that you used the same thing as what we are attempting to do. I just hope those Corvette wheels will fit and turn ok on my truck. Also, I wanted to ask you to remember me if you decide to get rid of your 57 grill or anything else you might not need anymore from your Suburban build. Could be that I might be needing it. Your are a lucky man, Squirrel. Just thought that I would remind you of that incase you had a bad day! HA! I have to tell myself that ALOT lately. Thanks again!

16. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks!

You'll probably want to find 7" wide wheels for the front.

I'll have to look at my 57 grilles, I kinda want to hang on to them in case I need them for either of my trucks. I wrecked my orange 59 truck several years ago, and it took me a long time to find replacement parts...so I am kind of a hoarder now.