Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevrolet integrated head straight six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56belairman, Jul 31, 2012.

1. 56belairman

56belairman

I've never really missed with anything with smog stuff. My question is can I just remove the smog tubes on my 81 chevy pickup straight six and plug the holes in the exhaust manifold and valve cover?

2. the lights

the lights

yes, you can do that. I had a tough time getting mine to run smooth though.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Get an earlier head and intake manifold. Not that hard to find and the integral heads won't survive the first overheat anyway.

4. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Agree.. integral heads are know for cracking. Dont waste your time with one, get a earlier head plus they make daul and triple carb manifolds for the earlier heads.

5. 56belairman

56belairman

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm probly just going the plug the holes on the tube that broke. Its furture has a V8 in it, so changing the head not really something I would want to do. I'm about tired of it wanting to die when you turn the a/c on!!!!! I feel a stock 350 with a r/v cam would get just as good gas mileage and have tons of more power then the six banger.

6. F&J

F&J

Another problem with that setup on those C10s is HUGE carbon build up on the intake valves, just below the valve head.

A fleet I worked for had a 1980 as a parts chaser, new. I forget at what miles, but it lost all power. Pulled the valves out, and they looked like a tapered carrot. The air/fuel mix could not get past, even when the valve was open. You could take it out on the highway in 2nd gear and keep it buried for a mile, and it would not go past 40/45 mph.