Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chevrolet Inline 6 Swap Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lagonz, Apr 28, 2014.

1. lagonz

lagonz

Hey everyone!

I know that you guys have probably discussed this a ton of times before but I just need a quick reply, I guess.

I have a 1950 Chevrolet Fleetline Deluxe with a 235 straight six that needs to be replaced. I was told by a machine shop that it would be cheaper to just find a new straight six than rebuild that one so I've been searching since then.

My question then is, what year engines should I be looking for? Which ones need the least modifications? Do you guys have a website or any resources that may help me with this?

I am actively looking for a good working engine as well, so if you guys have any leads I would appreciate it. I am in Northern California.

2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Generally a 1955 or later & the 57 has the best head casting on the 235 engines. From memory that head casting # is 848. If you plan to find a good runing engine you really need to check it out real good or you may just be buying another that needs an overhaul.

We just finished the overhaul on the 1957 235 used engine I bought & I am taking my 46 chevy coupe over Friday to begin the engine swap along with a new gas tank & such.

The 261 engines will also bolt in.

Good luck, Jimmie

3. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Just realized you have a 1950. The original engine was a 216 but either a 235 or 361 are still a bolt it fit.

Jimmie

4. lagonz

lagonz

Thanks for the reply!

If the engine is already pulled (which most of them are) what should I be looking for to see if it's in good condition?

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Being a Ford guy take what I say with a grain of salt. If I remember correctly your car has a closed driveshaft. I don't think the newer engines will bolt to your transmission. You would have to hang a new rear end. Check it our but by the time you finish it might be cheaper to rebuild your engine. Remember of course that this is coming from a Ford guy. I look forward to seeing comments from people that really know what they are doing.

Charlie Stephens

6. dellyjonut

dellyjonut
    from St. louis

Id hunt for a another 235 thats been rebuilt or at least fresher if you dont want to tear into yours. Plenty out there. I dont know what you mean when you say new engine.. late model year? If thats the case. your going to end up changing the whole driveline and transmisison. That car dosent have an open driveshaft. I rebuilt a 235 recently, I had about 1500 in the whole deal, including machine work. Best part is it bolted right back in when it was done! Chevys of the 40s and national chevy are good places to start for parts. check their websites.

7. lagonz

lagonz

ya, dellyjonut, I was talking about a later model year. I had heard that there were specific year straight sixes that bolted straight in. Im having trouble finding a straight six that looks like its in decent condition in my area. I wouldnt want to buy an engine that looks questionable. Especially when the ones I've seen range from $300 to $800 for something looks rather beat up. What would you guys be willing to spend on one? I was thinking under $500 but I'd want to know it was running well at least.

8. lagonz

lagonz

And would it be bad to drop in an older engine, like a 40's engine? Would that be taking a step back or are they pretty much the same?

9. Any 235 Chevy 6 up to and including 1962 will work in your car.

I just looked on Sacramento craigslist and there's 4 or 5 235's including a '62 for sale.

10. dellyjonut

dellyjonut
    from St. louis

I wouldent go backwards. The 216 has a primitative oiling system. Not that its a bad motor. I had one in my 48. $500 can get you there in the stl area. Hang in there, there are too may guys that dump their stovebolt for a v8, they do come up. Shit one of my buddies helped a guy put one in the dumpster right after I bought mine...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Before 1950 they all had babbitt bearings, low pressure lube, and iron pistons. These were NOT high speed motors, most of them burned out and blew up long ago.

54 up have modern bearings, full pressure lube, and aluminum pistons.

Between 1951 and 54, they made both. Powerglide cars got the good motor.

Your old 235 is probably the newer motor (has been swapped in at some point).

The machine shop guy is right, it would be cheaper to buy a used motor in the junkyard, except it is no longer 1968 and the newest motor that will fit, is 52 years old. So, unless you are very lucky, any motor you find will need a rebuild.

How bad is your old motor? Can it be rebuilt for a reasonable price? If the rod is not sticking thru the block it may not be too bad.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Basically you want a 1954 - 62 235.

Or, a 1954 - 62 261 out of a GMC truck. This engine was based on the 235 and is a bolt in swap. But is stronger and has more power potential.

From 1955 to 62, this engine was used in Canadian Pontiacs. In a street race the 261 Pontiac could match or beat a 283 Chev up to 30 MPH, over 50 MPH the Chev would pull ahead. In other words they had a lot of punch especially in the low to mid range.

13. 6inarow

6inarow

lots of bull on this thread.

Send me your address and I will send you a catalogue from Patricks Antique cars and trucks. it will have all the info you need and clear as a bell.

14. oldolds

oldolds

Ok.. 1962 is about as new as you can go, 52 years old. The last inline six for GM was about 1985 29 years ago. What is your chance of buying a new engine? Yes, the 1954 up 235 is a better engine. Count as having to rebuild it anyway.

15. tahoe52coupe

tahoe52coupe

Call Patrick's tomorrow and talk to him. They will send you a catalog and answer any question you have. He is one of the most helpful people I have ever dealt with, and is one of the gurus of chevy inline sixes.
    1-520-836-1117

16. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Any Chev 235/261 up until 1962 will bolt up.

The 261 engine is a Chevy, not a GMC. GMC engines of the same era are longer and will bolt in too.

17. donsz

donsz

I would go for the 261, had one in y truck for a while and it is a great engine. For some people it is the most valued of the series (216, 235, 261). When it is all said and done, I think you would be much happier with a 261. At least I was.
    don

18. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I have picked up two of them in the past couple of years for cheap. the first was a '62 and the second a '61 and they do bolt up to your bellhousing. The '61 235 is in my '46 Chevy coupe, and it runs good. I also picked up the 216 and complete drivetrain and suspension for the '50 for $200 from a guy who was hotrodding his "50. So look around, they are out there and cheap.

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, you've gotten quite a few responses; confused yet? 216, 235,261 Chevrolet engines will ALL bolt in, but the "newer" ones, 53 -62 are mounted differently, and will need some modification to work with how your original engine is mounted. Another consideration would be the 248, 270, 302 GMC sixes, they will also bolt in with a reasonable amount of work/modification. Just be sure you look for a full pressure/non-dipper style Chevrolet engine, and you will be much happier in the long run, have far better reliability, and will actually, most probably, be easier to find, and will be in better overall condition. You might even want to check in over at ChevyTalk.Org or the Stovebolt forum for an engine, and advice on what needs to be done to install a "newer", older style six. Butch/56sedandelivery.

I don't know for sure what year the trucks went to the more common bolt pattern for the manual transmissions to bolt to the bellhousing, but with the right bellhousing, starter (6 volt vs 12 volt use a different flywheel), you could also use a 194, 215, 230, 250, 292 style six, and use universal mounts to install one in your truck. Far better engines, stronger and smoother bottom ends with 7 main bearings instead of 4. Also more aftermarket parts available such as intakes, cams, headers.

20. 1950 fleetline

1950 fleetline
    from San Diego

Dude, just look on craigslist for a 235... They come up all the time. I got mine for 300.00 and haven't had any problems for two years. U don't want to start changing things cuz u will end up changing everything. If u go that route go with a 250, u will be happy doing 70 mph on the freeway.

21. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I don't recommend swapping the front mount plate on the newer 235 for the original style mount plate, too much dissecting of the motor, pulling cam, etc. Just drill the holes for the motor mounts on the plate.

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what kind of goofball machine shop do you go to where they would rather you buy a different motor than have them rebuild what you have? doesn't sound like a good way to run a business.