Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Chevrolet El Camino thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Oct 18, 2015.

1. I was walking the pits at the Orange A.P. Drags back in the late 60's and walked past a mint looking burgundy '65 GTO. I did a double take when I realized the car wae really a '64-'65 Chevy El Camino with a GTO nose attatched to it. It was perfect. Flawless deep shiny paint, no ripples or sanding & file marks. Looked nicer than the general could have made it.
    Wish I had my camera along with me that morning.

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

A friend needs the panel at the front of the bed on his '64. Not the one right under the window, the one below that with the ribs that goes down to the bed floor. Can't find a new one or good used.

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Something odd about the B pillar on this

[​IMG][​IMG]

Jalopy Joker and Deuces like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Boy, I'll say!

The 1965 ElCamino I owned about 1973, original 327/4 speed.
    20160822_132550.jpg

Jalopy Joker and Deuces like this.
  5. Deuces

Deuces

That's badass!!!!!.....

loudbang likes this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

At first I thought they shortened the doors but after looking at yours it looks like they moved the rear window and bed back for interior space. Cant say I like the look but the extra room would be nice.

loudbang likes this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

Hey D,
    Nice 65 El Camino. We had looked into a camper shell for the rear bed, but, it was going to be a hard case, having two 250cc desert racing MC in the back with the shell. Our surfboards would be able to stick out of the back, through the up raised window, but would not fit inside for security. (being such long boards…10’ 6 inches) So, I opted to not get a shell and spend the money on a newer, faster, better built, 250cc desert racer to start getting some points and trophies.

The shell could have been a keeper, because sleeping out in the bed in the cold, freezing desert night/morning is not for the weak. Despite the 80-90 degrees in the day, the nights are absolutely freezing. Once we tried sleeping in the back under the zillion stars. As beautiful as it was, it got so cold inside of the sleeping bag that we had to move inside of the cab. It did not matter that we had layers of clothes and other assorted tries to stay warm. So, it is possible for two 20 somethings to sleep inside of the cab of a 1965 El Camino, and stay warm.(and warm it was...)

When the El Camino was in Baja, under the deep, dark, starry, night sky in a deserted surf spot, it did wonders for the psyche. The ocean breezes kept is relatively mild and the view was outstanding to say the least. The hard bed was overlooked as the stars just filled the dark sky to infinity. So, yes, the El Camino has its advantages.

So, after a couple of days of "roughing" it, it was the nearest resort hotel for a couple of days to relax and get back to civilization. (let alone hot showers and storage for the 10'6" long board, while doing visiting traveler's stuff.)
    upload_2019-11-19_4-0-28.png
    As mentioned in another post, I sold my 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery and my 58 Impala to get this new, 1965 El Camino. We needed a solid, reliable transportation for our desert racing bikes and to get me to college in Northern California. Over the years of driving this El Camino all over Northern California, the coast line down to Baja, and all over So Cal, it never failed me in any conditions to start and handle well.
    upload_2019-11-19_4-1-1.png
    When my wife and I were 20 somethings, we traveled all over So Cal chasing the rock and roll circuit going to the traveling performer’s shows. One of the best was at the So Cal / L.A. iconic, Shrine Auditorium. It was so reliable that my wife loved driving the El Camino on our long trips back up to Northern California for car shows and photo sessions. Not one problem popped up at anytime during this time period. She felt safe from Central LA up to the Yosemite forested areas and the winding Highway 1 through Big Sur.

Our favorite installation, other than Inglewood Wide Posatraction Redline Tires, was this custom gauge for reading the rear air shock pressure levels. It was mounted under the air valve on the small, cabin rear panel.
    upload_2019-11-19_4-1-41.png
    That gauge saved many an extra trip to get gas AND air in the El Camino.

Jnaki

The El Camino must have been listening to our conversations while driving. We needed another car for our growing family and decided to sell our trusty (125,000 miles) El Camino. It was uncanny, but soon after our conversation, the water pump started to make some big noises and needed to be replaced. After fixing it and taking off the Sure Fit, clear plastic seat covers, it sold to the first guy that came to our house.

It was a surfer from Dana Point. He was amazed that despite being over 125k miles, the interior looked brand new. The last time I saw the El Camino cruising down PCH, it was painted blue. I saw it at a neighborhood store parking lot. (with the custom air gauge)
    upload_2019-11-19_4-2-19.png photo vnak

1929rats likes this.
  8. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

My current El Camno

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  9. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

10. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I imagine this could be called an El Camino.
    38766755280_f5ecf251c2_c.jpg