Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevelle "Torque Strap"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Byers, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Byers

Byers

Not sure of the right name for this. It came off of a 1971 Chevelle. He says they called it a Torque Strap, but I can't find any info on a Torque Strap. He says it bolted to the frame and went over the motor mount to keep it secure when the engine is really launching.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

Any idea of the Technical Name for it, I'd appreciate it. I'll like any good comments!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Byers

Byers

Nevermind... I guess it's an aftermarket recall part. Was put on by the dealer to prevent the engine from going crazy if a motor mount gets broken.

3. squirrel

squirrel

that's right.... the original design motor mounts didn't have anything to limit movement, and it was a big problem when they broke, and the engine raised up, and held the throttle open. that was in the days before cable operated throttles, you know

volvobrynk, lothiandon1940 and Byers like this.
  4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

There were some problems with Chevy motor mounts back then. My dad had a '70 Impala wagon. One day the motor mount broke, the engine tilted, and the throttle went WOT.

Byers likes this.

5. 270283

The more permanent cure was sidemounts that interlocked if the rubber pad separated. I had the torque strap on my Camaro in 1968.

Byers likes this.
  6. Byers

Byers

Other names: Anti-Lift Bracket, Stop Bracket

7. There were a couple of different types of straps, the ones for the Belairs, etc were a bit different. My dad had a '68 Impala wagon with a 327 and TH400 that we beat the snot out of.

It broke a mount on me... nailed the throttle wide open and pulled the hose out of the brake booster. I was very glad that there wasn't anyone close in front of me. I guess dad missed the recall somewhere. I got a mount for it, the new safety type.

volvobrynk and Byers like this.
  8. My uncle's '68 Impala 325hp 396 had one.

Byers likes this.
  9. I've often used one of these.:) th.jpg

10. aplayer

aplayer

Ditto. had a chain on my chevelle. My kid thought it was pretty cool.

11. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

My 66 Chevy ll 283 wagon has one and a smog pump!

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

My 64 Impala kept breaking distributor caps and I couldn't figure out why. So one day I had a buddy brake race it and I watched the motor come up on the drivers side and the distributor smacked the firewall. Chevy had a recall and added that mount to fix the problem.

Don

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a chain strap on my F100 after breaking 2 Chevy engine mounts...then redesigned the mounts.
    Now, it's... "F100! Unchained!"

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. txturbo

txturbo

My 427 impala did it one day.....and that was one of the rare times the tires hooked up and I almost rear ended a mini van. Sure was wishing someone had installed one of those on my car at that point.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. We run a bolt throught the sbc motor mount with a double nut on the one side its loose but holds if the mount fails

volvobrynk likes this.