Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chev clutch dust cover?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phil P, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4B676E0D-B17E-4ADE-92F9-3E021822A321.jpeg hi everyone
    This bell housing came with my 283 and I would like to use it. It came without the dust cover. What year and vehicle should I plug into my search to come up with the right one.

2. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

Looks like tri-five chevy

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I see rear side engine mounts there, so check the numbers cast into it. May have come in a pickup, too...

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  4. The clutch fork looks like a pickup truck to me. Are there any locating "nubs" on the frame mount surface or is it just bolt holes?

5. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure came from a truck, it has the nubs. I just want to be sure to order the correct dust cover. Phil

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have a bellhousing from a truck with the clutch fork on the right and the dust cover from one with the fork on the left so I assume that any of the cast iron bellhousing should have this.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It's definitely 55 V-8 to early 60's (before the hydraulic clutch) TRUCK bellhousing. I don't believe a Tri-Five passenger car V-8 cover will fit. The truck bell only takes a single bolt per side for the mount (Tri-Five passenger takes 2 per side), and the bottom has that "wide angle", while a Tri-Five passenger is completely flat. Trucks also have that little pointy nub by the bolt hole. Truck throwout bearing fork is cast, passenger car is stamped steel. Trucks also have the lower transmission bolt holes untapped, as the bolt goes from the lower bellhousing bolt holes into the thread transmission lower bosses; passenger cars have the trans completely bolt to the bellhousing with all four mounting holes. That's all I've got. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  8. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Butch
    That is a detailed description of my bellhousing, so I now have something to work with. Phil

9. squirrel

squirrel

that's a 68-72 chevy truck bellhousing, you can tell because it has the big center hole (note how thin the metal is next to the fork pivot bolt).

The hole is bigger than that used on car transmissions, and earlier truck transmissions, so make sure you either get a different bellhousing, a different front bearing retainer, or a spacer ring, or use it with the SM465 granny truck 4 speed it was designed to work with.