Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical chev 235 oil canister

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jasonwutang, Apr 27, 2014.

1. jasonwutang

jasonwutang
    from Australia

Probably a very silly questions,

Turns out I have a 235 Babbitt in my 51' chevy

wanting to know if these came standard with an oil canister or not?

any help would be appreciated!

Jason

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, the 235 with babbited bearings didn't come with a filter. I don't think any 235 came with an oil filter.

3. 504640

No, Jason, I am sure an oil filter canister was not standard on a 51 chev. I am not sure if it was even an option in the early 50's, but probably an after market accessory. Consider, that on chevys v8 in 55, an oil filter was not standard. I have a 216 babbit motor in my 50 fleetline which does not have a filter. Are you sure you have a 235? Is it a powerglide motor? HillBillyBomber

4. jasonwutang

jasonwutang
    from Australia

thanks guys!

its a 3sp, but when I replaced head gasket on it, 216 gasket did not fit, and the 235 fitted up perfectly.

Also the side cover on spark plug side is 2 piece not one.

matching number engine too!

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Oil filters were optional on those motors.

6. No stock oil filter, only accessory. And they were not full flow either, better than nothing I guess.
    The 235 may have come from a truck, but 2 piece side covers? like a Holden red motor? Maybe only the 235 had two (the 216 only had one which covered the side of the head and had holes for the spark plugs).

7. JVK54

JVK54

Not that I'm doubting it was an option .But, I don't think Ive ever seem a Babbit 235 or 216 without an oil filter. They were mounted on the intake manifold and the intake and output was on the block . This is my old set up-1950 Babbit 235
    [​IMG]
    Before I swapped it for this 1955 235. The Oil Filter Cannister has to be relocated when running dual carbs-Typically to the firewall
    [​IMG]

8. gmpartsgod

gmpartsgod

Jason....i have a 1950 gmc with a factory canister oil filter.my 56 belair 6 cylinder has a canister filter.i put on on my 50 fleetline.pick up a 56 car filter at a sway meet and used it my 50..

9. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Yep, accessory. Yellow and black= AC, orange and blue= Fram. Don't ask me to tell you what year got what, I don't know. Just passing along a tidbit of info.