Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Checking Bell Housing Run Out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Sep 12, 2015.

1. deto

deto

Hey guys,

So I'm about to set up the clutch on my SBC, and since the motor is sitting on the frame and everything is easy to get to, I'm going to check and make sure the bell housing run out is within tolerance.

Does anybody have any tips on doing it?

Is doing this overkill since its a mild crate motor?

2. Budget36

Budget36

dial indicator off the pilot bushing hole, there are offset studs, but been years since I had a need for them, don't recall who makes them now

3. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Dial test off the flywheel.
    If the bell is off centre ,knock the dowels out of the block and re-install the bell housing with flat washers on the bolts [tightened slightly ]

Re dial test , and tap the bell around with a hammer until it is centralised and tighten up the bolts.
    Drill through the bell housing and the block somewhere near the dowels and tap in some roll-pins to locate the bell housing

4. Truckedup

Truckedup

You can buy offset dowels from the usual online stores like Summit racing or Jegs.. Or you can drill it like mentioned above.
    The two I checked in the last several years were off by .020....I corrected the problem ...but I have no experience saying what you can get away with...

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Over the years time I have read several articles on this subject and, as I recall, the maximum acceptable runout is about .007". Obviously, the less, the better.

Ray