Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Check your personal message(p.m.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flatheadjohn47, Apr 4, 2020.

1. 7D727B7A-2E4E-4597-8F44-D588628AD99F.jpeg When aHAMB member places an ad either requesting parts or selling parts they will(I presume) go find their posting and see 0(zero) replies so they assume they have no response when indeed sometimes they have a response reply from another HAMB member “sitting or waiting” in their “ mailbox” and of course they do NOT physically check thoroughly and the p.m. just sits and waits forever without a reply of any kind from the person who places the ad.. I personally place a phone number(my cell) so that a person can call me and request more info and not even bother to check their p.m. Is this a problem or is it a fact that SOME people just don’t care or do not understand the system and how it works?John in s. Texas.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the most commonly asked question here is "how do I respond to an ad?" even by members who have been here for many many years. It is frustrating as hell. It is clearly laid out in the tutorials how the site works, yet seemingly nobody reads them. Same deal with the rules here, nobody reads them (they are at the top of the intro section)....

3. BJR

BJR

Do you really expect the bunch of hoodlums that is the Hamb to obey rules?:eek::D:p

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Dad always said, " if all else fails, read the instructions..."

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or RTFM, Read the f*ckin manual!

stillrunners likes this.
  6. RMONTY

RMONTY

We are expected to be able to read on this site? :eek:Maybe I'll go back for that GED afterall....

stillrunners and winduptoy like this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Most of us are only used to our wives or girlfriends telling us what to do. :DOther than the few exceptions on here , wives/ girlfriends don’t bother with this site , so we have no idea what to do . :p

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Customer: I'd like to return this lamp it doesn't work
    Store Clerk: Did you put a bulb in it and turn switch as instructed?
    Customer: Yes
    Store Clerk: Did you plug it into the wall outlet.
    Customer: No

stillrunners likes this.
  9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fellow whose elevator doesn't go to the top floor, returns to the store he bought the chain saw from.
    He complains to the clerk that 'the saw was supposed to make his wood cutting easier and increase his production'. He stated his experience 'was the opposite' and 'there was something wrong with the saw'
    The clerk took the saw and checked fuel...full, chain oil...full and gave the starting rope a pull...
    It fired fight off...
    The customer shouted..."what's that noise"?

I have the 'email notification' enabled on my PM's and I get notification that way that I have a PM

10. I am not sure that everyone knows of or understands the messaging system. I always look for the red envelope first every time I log on but I am a conversation hawg. LOL

By the way whatever that is in the pic is it way cool I'll trade ya my dragster and all my spare parts for whatever is holding that flathead up. Bring a truck. :D

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

As the saying goes "idiot light".

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Can you delete the PM's once you read them, I would think they are taking up room that could be freed up. Bob

13. Slopok

Slopok

Yes

14. LOL works for me

Johnny Gee likes this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, I have 51 pages to go through, How do I do this?

Bob

16. Slopok

Slopok

I have deleted the few that I've had and don't remember how, it either said delete or end I think.

17. Slopok

Slopok

Ok now you have 1 more to delete.
    Go to leave conversation and that's it.
    So easy a caveman can do it!;)

Lost in the Fifties likes this.
  18. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Listing in the classifieds is free. Changing the experince would require reconfiguration which would require money.

I think most sellers would prefer the current free ads with minor limitations over paid ads that that have been reconfigured into some kind of perfect user experience.

Check your mailbox regularly when you have an ad up; if you think you'll forget, include a phone number. That's the no-cost fix for this.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  19. Slopok

Slopok

Come on I'm waiting!

20. Slopok

Slopok

Everyone knows Real Men don't read Instuctions!:rolleyes:

21. I just spent a few minutes poking around on some of my old 'conversations' and figured out how to delete.
    First, open the conversation. Right at the top, under the conversation title, on the right, click on "leave conversation". It's small so look for it.
    Then a mostly black 'window' will pop up. The first thing it says is "If you select 'leave' the conversation will be removed", etc. At the bottom, you have 2 choices, 'leave' or 'keep'. Click the option you want.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you The Shift Wizard & Slopok! "Leave Conversation" who would have thought that was the same as delete? Like ON & OFF who decided POWER was a better label for a button? Bob

23. lake_harley

lake_harley

Or this? Who thought this symbol would be self explanatory?

untitled.png

24. Slopok

Slopok

Pee in the toilet, right???:rolleyes:

lake_harley likes this.
  25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Come on. It's a door knocker.

26. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a very naughty drawing and you should be ashamed of yourself, young man.

catdad49 likes this.
  27. Slopok

Slopok

So much for "self explanatory", eh!;)

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has to be something electrical, I stay away from that stuff same as the Coronavirus. Bob

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  29. You can click the little square box on the messages, click all that you want to delete, then on the window that opens click other options and click "leave conversations". You can delete a bunch of them quicker this way than one at a time

30. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

It's easier to ask for help (the answer) rather than figuring it out for yourself. Start a new post on the HAMB and someone will do all the work for you and provide an answer. We've even seen someone ask a question, then come back a short time later getting pissy because nobody had yet answered. We occasionally enable people here (until someone replies "Google is your friend").

It's a huge societal change over the last generation and in my view there's many reason's why.

Parenting; Mom and Dad were/are enablers and do the fishing rather than teaching how to fish, including doing kids' homework. It involves Parents not insisting the kids practice problem solving skills ("figure things out by themselves"), participate in household chores or repairs. Kids grow up into young adults and have no idea how to do very simple tasks such as changing a light bulb in a ceiling fixture, grocery shop, cook, do laundry, check the oil or jump start a car, change a flat tire, properly clean/sanitize a kitchen, bathroom, let alone operate a circular saw or a lawn mower.

Many people feel they're above having to figure it out for themselves or they're just plain lazy. They were raised to be 'entitled'. We're a society that hires people to clean our homes, pool, maintain the landscaping, detail the car, prepare our food.

I'm amazed how many people have poor communication skills. Spelling and punctuation aside, they lack the ability to comprehend a basic instruction or work autonomously without direct and constant supervision.

Technology- changed things starting with 1 (800) help lines.
    Now with the internet, society has venues such as You tube. Maybe we need a a HAMB PM tutorial., lol!

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.