Register now to get rid of these ads!

Check this out Lincoln Y-block guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe T Creep, May 2, 2007.

1. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

I found this on that other auction site.
    I have never found speed equiptment of any kind for the 317 in my 54 Lincoln Capri. Its a cool Edmunds piece with some odd carbs on it.
    I thought it was damn cool....but not $800+ cool that it sold for.
    Just thought I'd share it because Ive never seen one.

Attached Files:

2. junior 1957

junior 1957

those carbs are early holley 4 bbls, really good for catching on fire:eek:

cool intake anyway, but priced outta my league

3. petebert

petebert

wow that thing went for $860, certainly cool but thats too cool for my budget.

4. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

My neighbor has a tri power set up for his 49 Lincoln he's building. He paid $800 just for the intake. It is all painted up purty and the carbs are fully redone. He's probably got $1100 in it easy.

Hot rod Lincolns don't come cheap, obviously...

5. Someone here bought it....going on an engine that's going out the door to someone else. Pretty cool piece .:)

6. Crestliner

Crestliner

I've heard this and think its BS. Ran one for over 10 years with no cleaning and no problems. I have never seen one burn.
    I have an orginal 2x4 for a 57 ford and 860.00 won't begin to touch it.

Attached Files:

7. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I bought that 2x4 and it was a fair amount of money but it wasn't my money! haha...
    I had sold a race 368 engine to a fella on the east coast and he had been looking for a dual quad setup or a 6x2. Found the 6x2 and then changed his mind. Strangely enough, I found three dual quad setups this week (two Edmunds and one factory setup). I bought the two Edmunds. I hadn't seen one for about six months. They are rare but not stupid rare. Just expensive rare. The other one is on my 57 Lincoln Premier. I originally bought just the engine and then realized how stupid that was and bought the rest of the car today. It's got the Mark finned valve covers, headers and the Edmunds dual quad setup and actually runs. I don't know that I've ever seen an actual old hot rodded 57 Lincoln before. I didn't have the heart to kill it. I'll post pix up when I get it home. There was an Algon injection for a 317 on Ebay about three months ago. That's stupid rare.

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Those carbs were known as "flaming tea-pots" or "towering infernos"
    I heard rumours that they started fires.... but like Crestliner.....I never saw any smoke.

I had them on a 55 ford and offy intake on a Y-block.

9. bohlsd

bohlsd

Had a pair on a 312 back in early 60's. Definately prone to fire episodes. Was glad to change out to more modern WCFB's.

10. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Interesting. My Lincoln has them too. They all need rebuilt anyway, so maybe it's a good time to change them over. These cores have any value? Meaning, are they OEM or correct for anything else?

11. Paul2748

Paul2748

They might be - if they are original 57 two four barrel carbs they are worth quite a lot. If original 55-57 TBird (single 4bbl)not worth as much but the TBird owners would want them. Otherwise, they are run of the mill 54-56 Ford carbs.

12. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Why exactly were they prone to catch on fire? Is it because one little shot up through the carb would ignite that upper float chamber?

13. The floats tended to stick & cause them to flood. Oddly enough, "back in the day" they were used by off-roaders because they are able to work even on steep inclines.

I know of a couple of well-respected, long-time Y block guys who are dubious about them too...but all carb designs have their own idiosyncrasies, so teapots are certainly no exception. As noted, the WCFB is a direct bolt-on...if you can deal with the 18 lb. weight & use of three different metals for the top, body, & baseplate. :)