Register now to get rid of these ads!

check out these homemade goodies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaxx, May 16, 2008.

1. jaxx

jaxx

Here is some pics of my latest home fabed stuff - solid brass gear shift knob ( John Millner style ) radius rods - a little more welding and filling - grind and buff - prime and paint

2. Anderson

Anderson

Um.....how thick is that tube?

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, that doesn't look safe. Also a distinct possibility those tubes are chromoly.

4. jaxx

jaxx

the center fork ( Front ) is tapered dom 3/16 wall and the long center is 1/4 wall the other tubes are ridged conduit just for looks - the center tube is my structural support - I'll use 5/8 weld in bungs on the batwing end and a 3/4 inch andjustable on the other end going intl a swival from a swing arm assbl off a harley davidson

5. The hairpins still looks pretty scary to me.

The shift knob is great.

JH

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

As long as it's thicker than electrical conduit is all that matters!

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Tapered DOM tubing?

Man, when you break it down you're building suspension components out of bike parts and conduit. Not even remotely safe.

8. mark53

mark53
    from NEW YORK

i like the design but i would only use it for mock up and then either make a new one ut of moly or take it to a fab shop to do

9. My thoughts exactly!:eek: HRP

10. Danger Will Robinson!

11. zombo27

zombo27
    from E-town Ky.

I would put those crazy ass forks back on the bike.

12. Jerod Jardine

Jerod Jardine
    from wyoming

I've got a bunch of bent forks off of bicycles from my bike riding days. I could send 'em to you. I sure don't hava use for them ANYMORE. Even though the conduit is just for "looks" it'll still have stress on it. I hate to be negative as it looks like a neat setup.

13. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Harley swivel wont work as it doesnt allow for any articulation. When the body rolls over a bit when cornering the swivel will bind, placing a lot of stress on bicycle parts and conduit.

Dude it looks cool , but bicycle parts and conduit on a front suspension?? If this fails, it could KILL you,, and maybe some nice innocent folks in the other lane. KILL YOU!!! get it??

Sorry for the harshness, but I've wrecked bicycles and bent the forks and your going to use them for the only thing keeeping the steering axle in place?

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

the shift knob rocks... the bike parts made my asshole slam shut and i think i pinched a 'roid in the process. get some thicker tubing and use the girly-man thickness piece for a pattern

15. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

hu huu... you said ass fork

16. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Holy Chit!! At least you should use some high end BMX forks that are 100% Chro-moly with a one piece machined steer tube. Better be some late 90's ones at that cuz the current low-wieght trend is going back to butted fork legs which are thinned out in the areas that need less strenth.

17. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Man, You need to re~think the Fork tube radious rods !!

Back in the late '80s when i was about 100 pounds soaking wet i would bend up a pair of Chrome Moly forks about every 4 weeks on my BMX bike from Jumping .

Your gonna kill your self or get killed by the Man of the wife & kids you kill with that set up !

Might think about making them into Nerf Bars instead !

18. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Welding/Grinding then ready for paint. Boy I hope your paint is strong! Better put on 5 coats just to be safe.

19. GTS225

GTS225

Jaxx, I think the guys are generally saying your stuff looks good, but you need to use better materials.
    Doing what your doing with the bike forks is fine, as far as using it for setup or proof-of-concept, but yeah, the materials aren't going to endure the stresses that a car will put them through. There's a whole lot more weight, and a bunch of multi-directional stresses to a car's suspension than there is in a bicycle's suspension.

Build them in that design, but use a better, stronger material and attachment method.

Thanks......Your fellow road user.....Roger

20. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

This is what Darwin was talking about...

-Brad

21. 7"Chop

7"Chop
    from Denver

I hope you have a belt and roll bar? You my need them.

22. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Alright, so that was a bad idea. I don't think we need anymore posts reiterating that.

How about some tech for making hairpins safely? I know C9 has some tucked away - might even be in the Tech Archives. I'm working on some right now that are super traditional and happen to be a straight cut and weld operation. No bender needed. But I'm a little too far from finished to post pics.

If no one else has anything to post I'll post what I have.

23. jick

jick
    from london

you're right Kevin, come on men.....why not help point jaxx in the right direction?
    good on you Jaxx for having a go and trying something different, thats what hot-rodding should be about...sometimes the ideas are good and work out well, othertimes, like today, not so good, but dont get discouraged dude, it's all part of the learning curve.
    the tubing that you really need for those 'pins is 7/8" with a wall thickness of 3mm, when you compare this to what you've used i think you'll see why people were worried.
    why dont you get some of that,hire a tube bender for the weekend and see what you come up with?

24. jaxx

jaxx

o k mock up only -- I'll use the 1 1/8 solid rod I have in the shed - thank for the input - I dont want to build something unsafe - the rod I have is 1 1/8 dia. hardened steal - would that be strong enough? I like the shape and design of my now mockups and I'll use rod ends and clevis end from PARR - thank again - Jaxx

25. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

looks like a pete & Jake's original to me!!! some poor kid now has a unicycle