Register now to get rid of these ads!

Check out my 34 5 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Muffin, May 8, 2010.

1. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Yeah, you're right. Do me a favor: Don't do this to YOUR car, ok?

Impractical depends on if your timid or not. That comes from a guy who put over 30,000 miles on a 8" chopped Model A. Made the car worth MORE too. Go figure.

This car's history is being made RIGHT NOW. Too bad you don't have the foresight to see that.

...now go restore something.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
    ls1yj and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. JOBCORP

JOBCORP

lots of really cool folk here....... and an asshole or two

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. voodoobuick

voodoobuick
    from geelong

Good god man,that car are what dreams are made of.Well done!

4. TomH

TomH

Hey Kris, since I haven't been able to see ya when we been passin' through SL, what the WWW tire hooked to that's hanging from the lift?
    Tom

5. Muffin

Muffin
    from Layton, UT

Im sorry you feel that way about my car.:( My dad feels the same way about it. But at the end of the day I am puting this car together with only one person in mind. He may just be a young punk with no tast, but when I picked this car up it was always going to be a Hot Rod! I have been driving this car for a year now rain or shine and it just is not doing it for me anymore.
    Dont get me wrong I loved it unchoped, But I think a hot rod needs to be choped in my eyes. Loudpedle and myself have always gauged something like this by the reaction of others like yourself. From the sound of it we have done exactly what we set out to do! Thanks for the input! :cool:

6. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Hey Tom,

That's the other car that I'm 'ruinning' right now. It's a 36 5W that I'm chopping and making into a 3W... Man, I just can't stop myself from doing things the way I want them and not asking for the opinions of others. I'm a big jerk.:)

Hope to catch up with you soon buddy!

7. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Well said, I couldn't agree more. Every time I read crap like that, it just makes me want to cut mine back apart, and take 3" more inches out of it. I guess RestoRod Street Rods(all stock, stock 305 SBC pig) is the traditional hot rod now. Every freakin' thread on here about a REAL hot rod or custom that is being built is being overloaded with this crap, i.e. "don't chop it", "leave the fenders on", or "run radials, bias plys are unsafe". WTF is going on around here?

I absolutly love this car, I hope when my Three Window is done, it looks half as mean, and the chop is absolutly perfect! I wish I lived closer to you guys, I'd be buggin' ya to "ruin" mine too. It reminds me alot of the five window Rudy Rodriguez here in So-Cal built, which is one of my favorite 34' of all time. For now, do to finances, I'll have to settle for the mild chop that was on it when I got it, and radials(because they are Waaay cheaper).

8. TomH

TomH

The wife and I are planning on speed week this year, hope to see you, your `36 and your brother's kick ass coupe there.

9. Thanks for not taking my opinion too seriously.
    I loved your car unchopped and would have loved it with a 3 to 4 inch chop.
    I just don't get the more is better thinking when it comes to newer builds.
    Back in the day this was done for a reason, not just to just to be cool.
    Since no-one is setting low E.T. or setting records on the salt, so why take it to this extreme.
    I never said don't chop it, don't run bias ply tires, put a small block in it.... so I don't appreciate being bad-mouthed. My builds speak for themselves and are about as traditional as they come. A dual-carbed flattie in a '34, a Ford custom and a Deuce with an early 327 with a 6x2 intake - none on radials. So don't kill the messenger.

All I meant was more isn't always better.

Enjoy your car. It still rocks!

10. JOBCORP

JOBCORP

it may be a cliche.....to say

the last thing he wanted was a shiny "jellybean" - "bellybutton" hot rod that everyone has or that everyone could drive or build.....the reality of this build is not everyone can chop a car, let alone chop to this degree and pull it off so it looks good (this car looks GREAT).

Just because not everyone builds this way does not make it wrong....because it is not going for a record on the salt does not mean it cannot have a serious haircut!!!!

the guys working on this car really really get it, it is ashamed you cant seem to catch the vision

11. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Not to keep muckin' up Muffin's thread, but I absolutly dig his car, I liked it before, but now it screams HOT ROD. I think you took everything I said TOO personally and completly missed the point. I wasn't "bad-mouthing" you. BTW, I just went through your albums, and I like your 34' also, it's similar to how my 34' (and tens of thousands of other 34's which is part of why I like Muffin's car so much) will look, other than a mild chop, and less windows when I get it back together.

12. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Great looking "chop"....& to the "keyboard jockeys"......get over it! Loudpedal is living the dream & is closer to the salt than me....I wish that I could help out....chop that car and put the "parts" on the wall for the guys that want to "restore" it.

Chris

13. ELMER FUDD

ELMER FUDD

Who's to say Tim doesn't have dreams of running this on the Salt? If he ever does, and I KNOW the thought has crossed his mind, the chop will be done already.

In the meantime, everyone with eye for a well-built, FUNCTIONAL HOT ROD will be drooling over it. (Myself included)

14. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

These cars aren't going to be worth shit to the next generation, fucking chop it if you want or be a restorer idiot if you want. The car is bad ass,,,, wish it was mine. He is sharing something cool and you say he is ruining his car.

FORD BARN THAT WAY========>>>>>

15. 53woody

53woody

I agree a Hot Rod needs to be chopped and only you know how much!!! Keep up the great work, and keep the pictures coming.:cool:

16. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

It's like Lance's Jersey Suede's little brother...cool

17. LAWMAN1932

LAWMAN1932
    from deuceville

Cool car...great job

18. Tank

Tank

Beautiful car before, now with the chop.... killer!

19. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Bitchin!!! one of my favorate models from FORD!

20. "This car's history is being made RIGHT NOW. Too bad you don't have the foresight to see that."

Kris,

These are two of the best lines I've heard in awhile. I saw your old A in person and was blown away by your vision and creativity (prior to the hemi). Never saw an A look as right as that one, and so unique. A stand out coupe for sure. If vision runs in the family then your brother Tim is going to have one righteous coupe. Keith

21. felix37

felix37

Great looking car! Nice photography!

22. So are you going to be changing the rest of the car around to fit the chop? Nothing wrong with a chop, except that now the rest of the car doesn't work with the one you gave it. You need to make the rest of the build more "Bonneville" now that you have that Bonneville themed chop.

23. Kris and Tim, I thought I was all alone in stirring up shit here on the hamb. I guess I got company. Car looks great. I'm proud of you fella's for doing what you want. Mine wont be quite as radical but will be close. Trends come and go but chopped 34 5 windows will never go out of style. Nothing wrong with the Bonneville look. What one man can put up with as far as visibilty is different than the next. You guys never have to drive too far to enjoy B-ville. I am amazed that you are getting guff for having a totally ON TOPIC car. I usually catch grief for bagging on the OFF TOPIC cars and stating my opinion on oddball makes and styles and restorations. Are you going to paint it Tim?

24. redbeard

redbeard

I think it looks good.

I really want to see how this turns out.

I plan on chopping mine, but I will drive as is for now
    until I put some other projects on the road first.

But when I do chop it I will be reviewing how you guys did yours.

Thanks for posting this project, it is what the Hamb used to be about.

cheers
    Redbeard

25. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Freakin awsome, thats a radical chop.

26. Muffin

Muffin
    from Layton, UT

Not sure what you are getting at? But I have put alot of thought into this biuld and almost all aspects of the car are just the way I want them. I know it's not for everyone out there but it's working for me as of now.

27. The car is fuckin cool- period.

I like the guys reading this thread, watching for weeks and weeks as you two guys do some serious and HARD work on YOUR car....then tell you how your doing it wrong. LAME.

One more thing- there is no right or wrong with these ol jalopys. He's doing it the way HE WANTS. We should respect that. Maybe it's not the way you would do it, so go get a car and do it your way.

Muffin and Loudpedal- you guys are my heros. Keep on keepin on.

28. Muffin

Muffin
    from Layton, UT

Thanks Dale! It's funny but this isn't the first time my car has stired up the shit on here! Last time I got shit that I had " no pride in ownership" ? But if your going to post anything on the hamb you need to have thick skin, it just rolls off the back. I have been checking out your build also and DAM it's looking good! As for the paint.. Was going to do a brush paint job befor we went to viva but not thing I'm going to have time. This car will get real paint one day. But will have to save up a year or two for that. Hope to catch up with you this year on the salt.

29. Muffin

Muffin
    from Layton, UT

Tonight was a wash. Both Kris and I had to work late so we made no progress on the chop (sucks when work gets in the way with a project!). But I managed to get out in the shop to work on my pattern a little. Sanded the filler that I put on last night and painted it so I could see were I was at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More finishing putty.

[​IMG]

Started working on the core for the pattern (going to have a plenum as well as the water heater).

[​IMG]

All glued together, tomorrow I'll grind it down to the size I need.

[​IMG]

That's all I have for you tonight! Hope to have some good stuff with the rear window tomorrow night for ya!

30. looks really similar to the 34 Rudy did years ago. That casting stuff is cool!
    [​IMG]