Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Check out Jay Lenos accident Last epposode/ Crash...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by blazedogs, Jun 24, 2016.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

What, exactly caused the rollever? Locked diff? i've seen some drag cars slide (oversteer) and some just rollover.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Showing off. Guy's like Leno and friends get a pass on that shit.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

All the wheelstanders I've seen have been center steer, and not setup for passengers (???). AARP's going to have a fit! Why did't it have the Hurst wheels? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

That was the second one that sold at the mecum auction a couple years ago. If I'm not mistaken Shrewsberry owns that one also.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  5. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

All this discussion and not one it'll buff right out

49ratfink and slack like this.
  6. cretin

cretin

There is a drag strip right next to that track!

mario711 and 49ratfink like this.
  7. toml24

toml24

Jay Leno is very lucky. I've seen a driver who was very heavy die in a street stock race when his car flipped the same way and although the driver had a full harness on, his weight caused his torso to be somewhat ejected out the window. One more flip and Jay might have been the lead story on the 6:00 news.

49ratfink likes this.
  8. Never2low

Never2low

HOLY SHIT!!!!
    Most people can't say they got to ride in their childhood dream car.
    Jay gets to say he rolled in it!

Speedy 31 and DLRIDES like this.
  9. I bet he tightens the shit out of every harness he ever straps into again. They didn't look to tight when they started. Safety first

pat59 and tfeverfred like this.
  10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Pretty sure they edited a couple more roll overs into the video than what really happened there. Somewhere I have video of him crashing it the first time at the track my dad used to manage near Springfield IL. He got off the side and clipped a guy wire for a pole along the track.

11. burninfuel

burninfuel

now you can see the engineering with a v-drive behind the axle

12. That's nuts, glad they were able to walk away.

13. In the vid clearly Jay's arm could've easily went out the window opening at the wrong time for a very bad result.

14. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I watched the video and thought immediately.....why is he trying to turn while still hauling ass? Im sure that car is very stiffly sprung.....lucky nobody got hurt..

Merlin likes this.
  15. a really good driver knows when its time to quit. Ive seen semi drivers past their prime still driving. and they do slip up more than the younger guys. Im only 65 and I knew it was time to stop herding a 80,000 pound truck down the road at speed. The guy needs to give it up. unfortunately many older folks become denialist.

PunkAssGearhead88 and slack like this.
  16. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Did you hear Bob say " Hey Jay, hold my Beer and watch this !!!"

VR&C.

bobss396 likes this.
  17. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Do you think Jay's insurance policy will go up?
    Glad they are both ok.
    I like Jay's show-finally a show about cars and not some fake deadline or drama. That is unless you roll the HEMI Under Glass. Was fun to see the original as a kid!

18. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Dude, the car has all the weight in the back half of it. You would think the old man would know it's not a track car made to corner with throttle into a turn. You could see it was an accident in the making as he went into the turn. It's like loading up a wheelbarrow with concrete and trying to make a high speed turn, it's going to dump!!!

19. nugget32

nugget32

Holy Shit! When did this happen?

20. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

That is one of the cars I remember most from Niagara Dragstrip when I was a young punk.Back then I must of seen every big time drag car of the day but the site of that engine under the rear window is still as clear today as back then.
    We can rebuild him!!

21. Fedcospeed, thank for the reminder, I thought I saw it at Lancaster.......

22. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I'm glad they're both ok. They fucked up and handled it like champs.

Stogy likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

Makes me wonder how susceptible my car is to rolling....hmmm.....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

You could tell that Jay was stunned by what just happened. I would have be stunned also. Both are VERY lucky.

25. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

My (completely uneducated) take: for some reason, the car is running on the infield instead of a straight track because of some kind of scheduling clash. Only a limited amount of time to shoot the car, and maybe the strip was booked.
    The car comes down from the wheelstand as planned, but hits a dip in the infield, causing the rear tires to lose contact...the car does not slow down as much as planned, because the tires aren't in contact.
    The car carries more speed than planned towards the banked corner, driver turns slightly to buy time and not hit the wall, but the slicks grab the banked oval and roll the car over.
    The driver is probably kicking himself for running the car in a place that is unsuited for the task, and Leno's probably kicking himself for applying pressure (however unintentional) to film the car doing it's thing, resulting in its demise.
    Betcha the car's going to appear in Leno's restoration shop soon.
    The thing that impressed me most is that for two guys who just rolled a car and almost ripped a millionaire celebrity's arm off, they seem remarkably chilled out. Glad nobody was hurt, other than probably very sore necks.

26. blazedogs

blazedogs

Take a look at Leno's weekly episodes. The last episode,the actual accident, has had almost 2 million viewers What mad it so interesting too was the cameras were also mounted inside the car at the time of the incident Gene

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

While it was a potentially serious accident, the track crew was spot on, asked the right questions to rule out brain/spinal injury, and Bob's first words were, "Are you OK?", then, "Dammit." Class act. The car is just a car, race cars get bent, it'll fixed, and the two old guys walked away. All good. ;-)

28. LostBoy

LostBoy

I would go for that ride any time. Lol looks like fun.

29. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

All that heavy REAR WEIGHT sitting on floppy sidewall drag tires is NOT meant to corner at throttle into a turn. It was bound to happen from a law of physics standpoint. That car was set up to do one thing, go dtraigh and do wheelies. Any turning, with no weight on the front, was always done all slow speed. I don't know what he was thinking or if he was trying to show off.

30. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

Damn that sucks ! Glad nobody was hurt.