Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cheatin' The Reaper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Legendlives, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legendlives

Legendlives

Baby's going to have a fat ass!

New rear arches, about 3" wider than stock. Arrived at the weekend.

Whilst I was trying on the new panels I thought I'd snap a few pics:

In one you can see a couple of gauges hanging underneath, these are Lucas gauges, probably fitted to the car in the 70's judging by the 'Lucas' logo.
    Hey I'll need gauges! Pulled them off and tested them (they are both capillary gauges) and they work fine, so here's the 'before restoration' photo:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    volvobrynk and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  2. Legendlives

Legendlives

All restored:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They look a lot better in the flesh than they do in the pictures. Now all I have to decide is where to put them.....

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Some superb fab work here—on a budget too. Go Man Go!

4. Legendlives

Legendlives

Cut holes for the gauges today. The pattern echoes the original pattern that was on the other side.
    Small gauges are the 'restored' ones. Tacho is an old Stewart Warner $10 score from a swap meet. Hope it works!
    Speedo will eventually live in the centre of the dash.

5. Legendlives

Legendlives

I guess it would be good to steer the car, so I found this aluminium box which came from a (whisper it) Lada.
    I figure if it was designed to last a million miles around Soviet Russia with little or no maintenance then it could steer 'The Reaper' without any issues.

Mount bracket on right, cut from 10mm plate.

I made three threaded bosses and welded them to the back of the plate. The upper (larger) boss will pass straight through the chassis and is only threaded for the last 20mm, the shorter lower bosses will just be recessed through one side of the chassis and the plate seam welded in.
    Lower holes through the plate are also threaded to give the maximum possible thread purchase.

Once the engine and rollcage are in place I'll work out the best place for it.

I bought a nice Momo steering wheel from a local boot sale,
    which just happened to have the right boss for my column, but the boss was rough-as, so after removing all of the unnecessary plastic crap it looked like this:

After a quick clean up (ignore the American flag!):

I don't like the exposed shaft look on columns so turned up this tube which is an interference fit on the boss, but spins freely around the column outer:

Tidies it all up very nicely:

:)

bengeltiger likes this.
  6. Legendlives

Legendlives

Solid front mounts for the engine that must not be mentioned......
    Started out with a few odd shapes cut from 1/4" aluminium plate:

And after welding:

Imagine these the other way up, bolted to the engine at 45 degrees.
    The square cuts will rest on the inside of the chassis members, and will be bolted to 'L' shaped brackets welded to the inside of the chassis members. I'm not going to drill any holes until I've trial-fitted the engine.

And just as a taster of body mods, here's the (unfinished) inner sill/step panels, expertly made from old wiring conduit saved from a skip:

The top of the panel will be level with the floor, and the lower (flat) panel will be the door sill top. They should give around a 4" channel lower than stock.

7. Legendlives

Legendlives

8. Legendlives

Legendlives

9. Looking great! Keep it up!

Legendlives likes this.
  10. Legendlives

Legendlives

Back in the thread you'll find my amazing (and not very HAMB friendly) yard-sale Momo steering wheel (a whole $5!)

In the early build, someone gave me this badge. I can't remember who, and I don't know what it's from, but it's nice,

So I turned up this aluminium boss, and threaded a couple of studs into it that pass through the wheel and hub to secure it properly:

Which leaves it looking like this:

Lovely!

11. Legendlives

Legendlives

I bought these lights from a swapmeet for $8 the pair, but I was not convinced that they were right for the car until I accidentally propped them in an existing hole and the realisation of my own subconscious genius dawned.

So I made up these steel tubes to partially french them in. They're about 3 1/2" diameter:

They'll be cut at an angle (thinner at the top) so the lens is partially exposed, but you get the idea.

I'll reveal where they're going later.
    Sorry that I seem to be leaping from mechanical to body to interior etc etc, but I'm doing stuff as I have the time (and money) to do so. I'm really looking forward to getting the body mounted as the project should accelerate quite quickly after that.

12. Legendlives

Legendlives

I've at last got the impetus to start tackling the bodywork. The sill step panels are now tack-welded into place (no pics - sorry!) which will allow me to position the body on the chassis (when I've got some extra muscles).
    Then, moving around the back I was struck with a dilemma. I want a bootlid in the car, and was going to make up a smooth, flat one (like Prefects have) until my petrol-head daughter insisted that I keep the 'spare wheel' moulding on the back.
    So starting with this - the place the spare wheel mounted:

I carefully cut around the perimeter which left me with a hole:

And if i then invert the panel I've just cut out, I end up with a very slick, 1938 made bootlid which looks as it should:

I'll cut it along the bottom swage and put hinges at that level, remove the reinforcement strut to smooth it out, and there will be a bonnet-style spring catch hidden beneath the top of the curve.

saltflats likes this.
  13. Legendlives

Legendlives

I was really unhappy with the look of the front of the engine that shall not be mentioned, particularly the ugly water hoses & thermostat housing;
    So pulled it all out and started making a replacement dual top-hose system (like the old flatheads had).
    Started with the 'head' end and made these 'o' ring bosses. These have water restrictions machined in them which are equivalent to the single hole restriction in the original thermostat:

Then turned up a couple of water-neck hose barbs and welded them at a 45 degree(ish) angle:

The second set of necks in the last picture will be welded to the rad top tank.
    Getting there.......

14. Legendlives

Legendlives

Just collected this:

One piece flip front. At some stage in it's past someone has bonded in an original steel grille and steel side-vents. I'll remove these and re-glass the holes.
    I'm aiming for the smooth front as on the Blair's car.
    I got it for a straight swap for the original tins, and both I and the swap-ee are more than happy.

15. Legendlives

Legendlives

Back with the trunklid.
    I made up this hinge panel. Panel is 2mm steel, and the actual hinge brackets are in 3mm:

Which is then (tack) welded into the wheelwell:

Bearing in mind that this is now the INSIDE of the trunk. The hinge panel and lower part of the 'wheel' will be welded back into the body, and the top cut carefully along the hinge panel and made into the hinged lid panel.

16. Legendlives

Legendlives

Hinge time.
    I seem to have forgotten the pictures which show the hinge top mounts, but here are the start of the hinges.
    These are made from 3/8" steel tube, the pivot end is 1"cds with a 6061 alloy bush pressed in.

I made them, then realised that although they would work fine it's only a matter of time before someone uses the open trunk as a seat, so reinforcements were called for:

These were welded in, and then the top hinge fixing bracket welded to the assembly:

Here's the finished hinges in place:

All I have to do now is cut the outer skin between the two horizontal brackets and I have a hinged trunk!
    (There's still plenty to do before it's finished though).

17. That's a cool looking hinge bro!

The trunk drip rails will be fun to watch.

That shit is hard enough to make in straight lines with one curve. You'll have a circle on a compound. Honestly I never could understand why anyone would weld a deck lid shut until I built a trunk opening and deck lid from scratch. :eek: There's a lot of in realized work there, most of its thankless but it needs to be right.

Legendlives likes this.
  18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In your opening photo, is that a green snub nose 1/2 ton Thames in the background?

19. Legendlives

Legendlives

Yes. The guy I bought the 7Y from had a collection of old vehicles on his land. They were all for sale or sold as he'd sold the property and was up against it to get them removed. I'm sure my car was not the only bargain bought from that place.

20. Legendlives

Legendlives

Hopefully it will turn out good enough that no-one will notice it wasn't built that way!
    I already know how I'm going to do the driprails and seal sections. Fortunately I had a miss-spent youth making chassis' and panels for Cobra's.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

You just need some one here in the states scouting for your wheels.

Legendlives likes this.
  22. Legendlives

Legendlives

Whilst the trunklid is ongoing at work, I thought I'd attack the front end at home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In it's past, someone had bonded in original steel grille and side-vents. These have to go as I'm looking for the smooth look like Blair's car. Unfortunately they were cut down to fit so are pretty useless. I think they'll become wall art!
    Fortunately the rust had loosened all of the filler, and within an hour it looked like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next job will be fill the holes. I already have a plan!

23. Legendlives

Legendlives

More work on the bootlid and closing panel.

[​IMG]
    On the bootlid I've added a 2mm reinforcement along the lower lip which is welded to the reinforcement panel and edge-welded to the skin.

[​IMG]

On the closing panel I've added a vertical blade which will (probably) have a seal along it.

[​IMG]

Still lots to do but I'm getting there!

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  24. Lot of creative metalwork to fab that reversed trunk lid.

Legendlives likes this.
  25. Have just gone through this entire thread.
    The knowledge and high quality workmanship of Legendlives is amazing.

Legendlives likes this.
  26. Legendlives

Legendlives

After a quick clean-up and beat out of a few dents the trial-fit works!
    Here's the lid in closed:

[​IMG]
    And open:

[​IMG]

Positions.

All cleaned up, ready for the next step:

[​IMG]

But it looks a bit bare....... So:

[​IMG]
    That's better!

27. Great thinking!

Legendlives likes this.
  28. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Legendlives likes this.
  29. Legendlives

Legendlives

"Have just gone through this entire thread.
    The knowledge and high quality workmanship of Legendlives is amazing."

"Ladies and Gentleman of the HAMB:
    This mans work will show you the difference between a "Weldor" and a "Fabricator"! As I quoted in other threads like the "Certificated Welder Thread", this guys work is the work of a trained, experienced metal (and other mediums) real life, true "Fabricator". Many here can learn from both his thought out process AND his welding and fabricating skills. I would gladly follow this guys work down any street without fear of parts being spit out the back because of sorry ass welds and improper joint configurations.
    This is the type of work that makes me step up my game everytime I see this while working on my project and to remember NOT to take shortcuts, especially when I am tired and "just want it done".
    Congrats! This is very inspiring to watch!!!"

Wow bobg1951chevy and michaelvz51, thank you so much for your kind words. It means a lot to me to be appreciated by my fellow rodders. Hopefully I can continue the build to the same standard.
    Thank you.
    Trevor

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    bengeltiger and bobg1951chevy like this.
  30. LongT

LongT

Are the pictures gone for everyone? With all the positive comments I'd sure like to see this thing!!

Bill

Sporty45 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.