Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cheatin' The Reaper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Legendlives, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legendlives

Legendlives

Around Christmas last year (2015) I found this on a local auction site:
    It's a 1938 Ford 7Y. Essentially the fore-runner of the Pop, and I've always wanted a Pop.
    $310 changed hands and it was mine!

Then came decision time - what was I going to build it into.
    Road-legal Gasser was the answer, but this time without too much compromise, so I sat down and designed my own chassis for parallel leaf springs at the front and (possibly) a Jag IRS.

Here's the making of the main chassis rails so far:
    Front spring rear mounts are double-reinforced:
    Front spring shackles are 5mm steel (as are the rear mounts) with seamless tube spreader:
    Frame material is 40x75x3 steel. All of the gussets are in 3mm steel. The front bush tube is 1"CDS.

Front axle is a nice aftermarket drop-tube which came with Holden vented discs and 5-stud hubs (all for $100!).
    Unfortunately it was too wide, so I cut it:

Sleeved and welded it:

Then smoothed it all off:

Fuel tank was found the perfect size at the right price ($100!) so I made the crossmember to fit. This was again from 40x75 box with 3mm gussets. No compromise!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm going to run a fully integrated 8/10 point cage, and have bought the main tube components already.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. Legendlives

Legendlives

Max Gearhead and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. Legendlives

Legendlives

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Legendlives

Legendlives

Here's the engine for the beast.
    It's a Ford 5.4 litre quad-cam 'Boss' engine. The first time I saw it was when I collected it, so I hadn't realised that it came complete with Alternator and headers.
    It also came with AC compressor, PAS pump, Throttle body, COP coils, Injectors & rails, engine mounts which can all be sold-off to help fund the next stage.
    To say I'm chuffed would be a huge under-statement. I think it's going to be a great engine for the little car.
    I know it's not really 'of the era', but it will be run with carbs and disi, and the cam covers do look a bit Hemi-ish!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2016

5. Legendlives

Legendlives

Back on the chassis:

Welded up the rear crossmember
    The steel is all 3mm thick. The prop hoop is full box-section. I wanted it solid as I plan to run one of the rollcage mounts at the top of it.

The two cut-outs at the top of the box section are for these channels which are fully seam welded to the chassis,

Which will allow the two fuel pipes, brake pipes and wiring loom to run along the main chassis members without any unnecessary bends.
    The threaded holes will ultimately take 'C' or 'L' section alloy panels which will cover all of the exposed pipes/hoses/wiring.

And here it is welded in place.

6. Legendlives

Legendlives

Chassis side members.
    Made from 25x50 3mm box and just ever-so-slightly bent to echo the original chassis:
    I'm also quite far through the manufacture of the diff mount front crossmember and the 'K' member:

Diff mount plate is already made, so once the gas bottle is refilled :roll: I can get on with the fitting of crossmember & mount.

The seatbelt mounts were made for a previous project but never used. These were made some months ago. They will need to be modified to do the job, but the funky drilled panels will stay:

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Legendlives

Legendlives

More progress.

Diff mount is now in. The underside of the front member is exactly the same angle as the mount plate.
    You'll notice the cut-throughs on either side of the crossmember for hoses etc again.

The top mount will have a logitudinal member at the centre of it for more strength, but also to take the mounts for the brake hoses.

'K' member components are made and just clamped into place to check fit. These need the hose/wire cut outs at the top of them and the 'C' sections welded into place before the members can be fitted.
    There will be a 50x25x3mm box section welded in flat across the very front of the 'K', and ultimately it will have another prop-hoop as soon as I can mock-up the gearbox (which I haven't got yet....)

8. Legendlives

Legendlives

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Legendlives

Legendlives

I have managed to get the rear diff-mount 'gusset' made and in place:

Which you will notice has a captive nut welded into it which is for this:

Brake pipe Tee. The feed will come in as a hard-line to the front, and short flexi's will then go out to the calipers from either side.
    I've now got the rear 'K' member in place with the cross-strengthening. That's the main frame done then (once I've turned it over and finish welded the underside).
    Mounts for rear suspension, gearbox etc will be fitted at a later date, but for now I'm well chuffed with it.

When it's finish-welded I'll take it home and start making the body fit (it's going to be channelled by about 4"), and then mock-up the cage, engine mounts etc.

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Legendlives

Legendlives

Although this isn't a new idea, I thought I'd flip it round from the way it is usually mounted on solid rear axles, and put the adjustable bits on the chassis.

The mount is made from 3mm steel with 3mm gusset and a 3mm box section internally to give support where the bolt-holes are. So there are 6mm thick side panels with effectively two 3mm vertical blades either side of the hole-line.
    'Moveable' brackets are in 5mm steel.

These give 75mm of total adjustment in 15mm increments from this:

To this:

Welded on to the chassis:

I'm only using one pair of coil-overs which will be mounted in front of the axle.

And a couple more bits done.
    The first is a bracket for two -8AN bulkhead fittings where the fuel hard-lines running forward will meet the flexible lines from the tank/pumps.
    This is mounted underneath the rear diff mount crossmember:

The second are these gussets which are fitted where the rollcage will meet the chassis. They are not there for strength (though they will add some) but to provide a solid base for whatever flooring I use. I hate those open gaps around roll cage bars:

And that's the chassis ladder just about done.
    The next step is to clear some space in my garage at home so I can sort out body mounts and rollcage height.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Legendlives

Legendlives

Whilst the chassis awaits it's marriage, I thought I'd start with the axle.

The point of no return........
    So having chewed through one of my lower arms I thought I'd better sort out a way of getting them back together, and came up with this tool:

Which has a solid boss at one end, and a sliding sleeve at the other end, both machined to fit the holes at the ends of the arm.
    When bolted together looks like this:

The ends will be set up level on the bench before I weld them together, but this will hold them solid and at the correct length whilst I weld them together.

12. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

holy cow, you are a craftsman !! nice work !!
    please don't use those ugly ass wheels though : )

Legendlives, kiwijeff and milo1303s like this.
  13. Legendlives

Legendlives

Unfortunately, the project is a real budget build. I'd have loved to run slot-mags but the prices here in NZ for wheels that big are more than I've spent in total on the car so far. For the time being, the ugly ass wheels stay :)

afaulk, wraymen and 1927graham like this.
  14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I guess you have! Nice job. PS I think I've seen some (probably pricey?) valve covers that can help disguise your motor as a SOHC cammer. Gary

Legendlives likes this.
  15. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

16. Awesome!
    Looks like tight quarters too.

Legendlives likes this.
  17. khead47

khead47

That chassis could handle a blown hemi. Very nice work!

Legendlives likes this.
  18. khead47

khead47

Very nice work!

19. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Amazed at the craftsmanship. Keep going!

Legendlives likes this.
  20. Sporty45

Sporty45

Beautiful work, and that chassis is stout as hell! Very nice indeed. :cool:

21. love it! Very nice work, cant wait to see it finished.

Legendlives likes this.
  22. Legendlives

Legendlives

Wow. Thanks for the nice words guys. I was worried that the use of a modern engine and not strictly 'gasser' rear axle would mark me as an outcast. I'll keep posting updates then!

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great fab work. If most of us could even compare it would be an improvement. Great project.

Legendlives likes this.
  24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

DADGUM! you've got some incredible skills!

Legendlives likes this.
  25. Incredible work, I'm watching!!

Legendlives and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. very nice work.

Legendlives likes this.
  27. You will be an out cast for it, but it's still freaking awesome.
    Just don't say too much about the engine or post a bunch of pics of it and you'll be great.
    However that's my opinion

Legendlives likes this.
  28. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Great stuff.Your work looks top shelf.

Legendlives likes this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Could always run some screw on moon discs on them wheels haha. Looks great man

Legendlives and volvobrynk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.