Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cheater Slicks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txoldrodder, Sep 9, 2017.

1. txoldrodder

txoldrodder

Anybody know a company that offers a reasonable set of pie cutter cheater slicks for sale?
    I don't mind retreads as long as they are good! Thanks...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. You might try M&H, Coker and Hoosier. To name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. mike bowling

mike bowling

Not cheap most places- there are used pairs on here once in a while.

4. Jesse Bailey

Jesse Bailey

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Radir Wheels also makes them, but they're not cheap, and they are not retreads. It's the way I would go. The "Checker Flag" tread pattern, on some of them, is a neat offering. I know the retread brands are what most guys go for; probably because of cost. Would be cool if there was a side-by-side comparison of all the different brands; magazines?
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with Jesse on this one. Towel City makes really good tires, with reasonable prices. Customer service is good too. i have a pair of the 15x10x29's that I bought from Chucky and I am very happy with them.

rocketsled59 and Gammz like this.
  7. Towel City. Good tires and good people to work with.
    20170526_154825.jpg

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What size are those, and what size are the wheels?

That's the look I am going for!

9. Radirs for me. I have had sets on several cars. Never had a failure. There are some u tube videos of retreads failing. The radirs are a all new tire. They do cost more but you get what you pay for. After all the time and money in your car do you really want to risk a tire failure? I dont. As far as performance my 65 dodge went into the 8s on a set of 10 inch wides and the coupe went 10s 20130717_102449.jpg

10. I used Towel City recap tires on stock cars for a few seasons, they worked well and took some real abuse.

AHotRod, rocketsled59 and Gammz like this.

11. They are 30x10 slicks mounted on 15x9.5 Halibrands.

AHotRod likes this.
  12. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

[​IMG]
    We have good luck with the Towel City pie crust cheaters...... Great customer service. They didn't charge my card until they built and shipped them. Good people down there!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say cap or new probably depends on how fast the rig is and how much power you are going to put to the rear tires. Racer-X has what appears to be a lot more power going to the ground than the little Falcon Ranchero in the next post. All I remember is that regular recaps seem to come apart in hot weather a lot.

14. models916

models916

15. Super/Stock Poncho

Super/Stock Poncho
    from Missouri

Mounted my Piecrust Cheaters from Towel City this Spring. Ran all season with no problems. 20170329_170111.jpg

16. Todd553

Todd553

Towel City on both my roadster and my 57 Chieftain. IMG_2140.JPG 10443124_896237300425326_1091891023456715971_o.jpg IMG_2140.JPG

17. Eat your hearts out; I found a BRAND NEW set of 10x15 Inglewood Pos-A-Traction recaps for my Mysterion clone on ebaY. And they only cost $150 for the pair as I recall. Major find for an authentic recreation of this great car.

1.jpg

P1010455.JPG

EVL401, Lil'Alb, tb33anda3rd and 14 others like this.
  18. Roadsir

Roadsir

For those that race what tire pressure have you been using on your Towel City or Radirs? I just tried mine at 25 22 and 20 lbs.

19. Radir.
    IMG_20141126_113319159.jpg
    Good ain't cheap. Cheap ain't good.

25 PSI

20. My coupe was 3400 lbs. Ran best at 15 lbs without tubes. The weight of the car plays the biggest role in pressure. Mounting without tubes lets the side wall flex for more bite. I have gone over 168 mph in tbe 65 dodge with radirs. Garlits went over 200 in the wedge powered dragster with radirs. The radirs can be softened with available tire softening products. I have taken my radirs from a durometer reading of 50 down to the upper 30s. New drag only slicks are ussually around 35 for a reading. I dont know if retreads can be softened or if i would even want to attempt treating retreads.

chryslerfan55 and Roadsir like this.
  21. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

does anyone know if the ones from Towel City are DOT approved?

22. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am pretty sure Towel City uses DOT casings. Have Radir's on my coupe. They seem to wear very good. But they are crazy heavy compared to a drag slick. Changed to 9x30 drag slicks at the track and picked-up 1.1 tenth and 1+mph. Doing nothing else. Will be using the slicks for racing from now on. And the Radir's for riding. Gene.

tonkadawg, chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  23. all pie crust tires are heavy. every 15lbs of rotating weight equals 100lbs of static weight or a tenth of a second

AHotRod likes this.
  24. Towel city or bust

25. Yep and Towel City has been building race tires for a very long time. These are not a sheep In wolf's clothing tire these are race tires that you can run on the street.

chryslerfan55 and wraymen like this.
  26. Since only two tires are mentioned in the thread you must be referring to Towel City's products. Inexpensive?- yes, cheap and no good?- far from it. Buy what ever you like but why bad mouth a company that has been around for over 80 years and is known for providing great customer service. I have had nothing but good experiences with them and had no problems out of their tires. This is the type of company I am proud to support as there are so few of them left.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  27. I raced with a guy that was a TC dealer, the only local who sold them. They are made from ground-up NASCAR tires from what I was told. The were on DOT casings. We used 7" and 8" widths, not a track tire but in the rule book.

I had a set left over on Chevy rally wheels, 8" wide. So I put them on my '68 Impala and ran them on the street until they wore out. What a side-bite they had on ramps and on corners.

tonkadawg and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Let's not get all offended over nothing here. My post was referring the tires on my car. The ones I paid for, new and I'm happy with. Don't start an argument by putting words in my mouth.
    There are more out there. Firestone got example. Pretty sure M&H makes a nostalgia slick.
    What kind do you have?

QUOTE="wraymen, post: 12251576, member: 137556"]Since only two tires are mentioned in the thread you must be referring to Towel City's products. Inexpensive?- yes, cheap and no good?- far from it. Buy what ever you like but why bad mouth a company that has been around for over 80 years and is known for providing great customer service. I have had nothing but good experiences with them and had no problems out of their tires. This is the type of company I am proud to support as there are so few of them left.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  29. I have a set of Towel City slicks 10.0 X 30 on the back of my 29 Roadster. The freaking rule! I run 20 pounds in them all over they place. They hook like hell on the street and the track. Last May was when I first drove on them, and the maiden voage was from Richmond Va to Charlotte NC. worked flawlessly. While at the show the weather changed and a massive rain storm was in my path on the way home..I drove From Charlotte all the way back home in the rain and they still hooked. They have the two grooves down the center, and just being real carefull on the throttle, they never slipped once. I will be a towel city guy for life. Their front runner tires are dam good too, I put a set of the front runners on the front of the roadster.

30. Not offended here and I'm not trying to start an argument either. A blanket statement is hard to interpret so my apologies if I got it wrong. They are the least expensive of the tires you mentioned though but rank no where near the bottom on any list. I have been using them for years. Going to try their front runners in the near future also.

harpo1313 and chryslerfan55 like this.