Register now to get rid of these ads!

cheater slick help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edweird, Feb 12, 2012.

1. edweird

edweird

or drag radial. what can i use on a 7 inch steel wheel and hook up?

2. Terry O

Terry O

Grasshopper....with the information you provided, first determine the length of the piece of string, there you will find the answer to your question.

3. Terry O, Funny!!

I have 7 inch Hurst Pie Crusts on 15x7 Cragar SS's with Cal Tracs. This set up will be going in a 64 falcon with a SBF/ 4 speed, I hope it hooks up!

4. As much as it pains me to say this - There is no way a pie crust will hook up as well as a modern drag radial. I have used them both.

I LOVE Hurst slicks and have had nothing but great service from them, but if the ultimate traction is what your after the drag radials win. :(

5. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

Nitto, M&H,Mickey Thompson, BFG G Force, Hoosier, you will need as tall as you can get to fit....And get them very hot....I mean HOT. Happy Motoring!

6. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Towel City sells recap radials with real pretty much any tread compound you want. I have a set with 7" tread they are 27.75 tall, but I haven't run them so I can't say how well they work.

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd go with the G60-15 M&H street/strip DOT tire. They will really hook up, and the G60 is a little over 26" tall. I just went with the drag radial in 275-60-15, that is just over 28" tall, but it takes a 8"-9" rim. $174 ea., but when I ordered direct form M&H I got 10% off list.
    [​IMG]

8. Willy301

Willy301

Not sure I would want to apply a lot of horsepower to a recap, they can come unbonded in a high heat situation. The uncapping can be quite violent, removing the quarter panel for a glimpse inside the trunk, without opening the trunk lid...

9. edweird

edweird

thanks guys. i'm building my 53 stude to be a steet/strip car with the looks of a 60's stocker and i want it to hook, but i dont want a real wide back tire. tall but not wide.

10. edweird

edweird

my name ain't grasshopper!

11. What kind of "actual" horsepower?

I say "actual" because I've heard all kinds of fish stories of totally ridiculous claims and that's not gonna get you any kind of real answers.

12. edweird

edweird

i don't really know yet. its a 383 stroker sbc. with a turbo 400 and ford 8.8 rear with 3;55 gears. i havnt fired it yet, but it should be stout.

13. Okay, first off drag radials don't last worth a shit if you're racing. You will easilly go through a set a year maybe 2 and they are not cheap.

So assuming you'll have moderate power, bias-ply tires will have to work if you want/need a DOT tire. If not then I recommend a slick for the track, then you can run a radial for the street, that is what I do. BUT........

So for a tire that's got some height to it but will fit on a 7" wheel this is what would work and not look too out of place on your Stude:

M&H Racemaster MSS004 - J60-15 - 27.2" Tall, 8" Tread width, 7" Rim width Link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MNH-MSS004/

M/T Sportsman Pro 6546 - LT 28 x 10.5-15 - 28" Tall, 8.3" Thread width, 7" Rim width Link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MTT-6546/

Now if you went with an 8" wide wheel there are a few more choices.

14. edweird

edweird

thank you for that info.

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

MT Sportsmans are way too hard for serious track work. They don't hook up well! I just took mine off my gasser for this very reason. They wore like iron, but easily broke loose with my little 327 powered car.
    I swapped to the M&H street/strip tire, a much better choice for the mostly street, and occasional trip to the strip:
    [​IMG]

16. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

I love how people can always blame the tire for traction issues. Never the spring , shock , track , or gear , or most important air pressure. How many of you guys are running the original , worn out leaf springs?? Just an observation. Not trying to be "The HAMB Gastopo"

17. all i know is i ran radirs on the car in the avatar and it went in the eights banging the rev limiter at 1000 ft. tires were first cut flat then soaked in tire softener. get them hot and have fun. also used some radirs on my street car and won a shoot out in bowling green. i did not cut or soften them for that race. i think a well thought out working suspension is a must above all. trying to mask a shit suspension with a tire remedy will most likely not bring the results you desire. it might fool the drive in crowd but those in the know will not be fooled by a set of tires. you don't want to be looked upon as a poser portraying to have a hot car with tires that won't hook. proper suspension,engine setbacks,good weight distribution,proper instant center these are the things that make a car hook.to make it hook you may have to rethink your whole combination.

18. pont406

pont406

I'm running the M&H DOT J-60-15's on my 66 Lemans Street car on a 7 inch painted steel wheel. i like them because there tube less, and have an "old school" vintage look about them. they hook well, my street car has went a best 1.76 60 ft with them so far, 12.62 @ 107 MPH, mild 400 pontiac, auto, 11 inch converter, 3.90 gear, 90/10 front shocks, 60/40 rear, SSM lower control arms, air lift bags, 3720 Lbs. i would say a set of race slicks would do better, but i wanted a vintage looking DOT tire.:)

Attached Files:

19. 55chieftain

55chieftain

20. Yes the M/T Sportsmans are a harder compound and I wouldn't recommend them for the track.

BUT.............

The M/T Sportsman PRO is a totally different tire having a much softer compound. That is why I mentioned the M/T Sportsman Pro!

You do realize that American Racer only makes "circle track" tires that should never be used on the street or for drag racing. That's also why they're cheap!

21. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Yes I realize what these are designed for, there have been proven results with those regardless of designation at the dragstrip. If they can hook up 600-700hp on asphalt i'm sure i'll be fine at my power level.

22. edweird

edweird

my 53 stude champion will be running a ford 8.8, stock stude leaves with new bushings,3;55 gears and slapper bars. 383 sbc, turbo 400 i havn't even cranked it up yet. i dont know a thing about how to dial the suspension in, so i'm all ears.

23. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

I run BFG drag radials 275-60-15 , 32Ford 3/w 3:73 gears, 350 t/h 350sbc with 471 blower about 450 hp, 3000 stall . Car weighs 3200lbs.runs high 11/s hooks up great.

24. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

Don't worry Ed, you wont have any problem with the girls down at TommyGene's.....no matter what tire you run....

25. edweird

edweird

thats funny, bo!

26. shocker998md

shocker998md

Ill tell you this, my 2 cents with drag radials is with O/T cars. A 9 second turbo buick will run just as good on slicks as M/T drag radials and cut 1.4 60 foot times. My buick isnt that fast, but thats just showing what a drag radial will do. The mickeys are the most sticky and thats all I would run on my buick on the track. They dont last worth shit for street miles though.

Do they look as good as pie crust or any older slick on our stuff over here, HELL NO. Hope this helps some.

27. How long does a set last you?

28. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

My buddy and I both run the towel city retread cheater slicks, both of our cars have the rear wheels moved ahead but they seem to work and look great.[​IMG]

29. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

As you can see traction for these cars is not an issue, but like mentioned earlier they are available in different compounds and you can't beat the nostalgic look.[​IMG]