Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheaply Built Rods in R&C and Street Rodder *DELETED*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Iceberg, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Iceberg

Iceberg

Post deleted by Iceberg

2. Antibilly

Antibilly

what are you bitching about?

My motor and trans were FREE and were just laying around the shop. We did some motor and trans swaps and the customer gave us the Motor and Trans.
    Gee is it wrong to get a BRO deal every once in awhile?

3. Im suprised the Magazines even feature an article on cheaply built rods made with free or used parts and how to save money on free or used parts as their advertisers could not like that very much.

4. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

How would you ever establish what a free-be would be worth. I am trading a lawn mower that was given to me for a running 283 and powerglide. I have $28 worth of parts in the mower, is the motor & trans valued at $28 or $2000. Prices are like sexual stories, just because someone did it doesn't make it the norm.Jeg Coughlin's dad gives him quarter of a million dollar Pro-Stockers. That doesn't mean everybody should get them for free.

5. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    what are you bitching about?

My motor and trans were FREE and were just laying around the shop. We did some motor and trans swaps and the customer gave us the Motor and Trans.
    Gee is it wrong to get a BRO deal every once in awhile?

[/ QUOTE ]

They weren't "free" if you did some motor and trans swaps and the customer "tipped" you with the engine and trans.
    It was partial payment for your labor.
    They would only be "free" if some total stranger drove by some day and gave them to you, never to be seen again, (not wanting the inevitible pay-back favor in the future.)
    Or if a "junk yard" was truely going out of business and just opened their doors and said "come on in and take whatever you want, no charge, I'm through with it".

And even so, those parts always have some market value, and I agree, that value should be included when computing "what it costs" to build a rod.
    That $6000 Bonneville Deuce racer in a mag. a few years ago is the most blatant. They didn't even bother including the value of the already owned '32 three window Ford. The $6000 was just what it cost to "freshen up" a previously finished rod a bit!
    Also, a car put together from junkyard or "free" parts that breaks down a half dozen times the first year or so of use, and needs those parts rebuilt as they should have been in the first place, should have those break-down, towing, and repair bills added to the build price too, because they are part of finally building it "right". [​IMG]

6. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    Post deleted by Iceberg

[/ QUOTE ]

What the fuck you do that for?
    That's irritatin' as hell... [​IMG]

7. Antibilly

Antibilly

Dr.J let me fill you in. We put a motor and tran in a car...the customer did not want the motor or trand back. the got NO doscounts, credits or allowable trump cards for future service.
    its was FREE!!!!!!!! and you can tell me nothing differant.
    matter of fact the story is a lie!!! it didnt happen that way at all
    these yo boys swapped out the motor at there house and had to get it out of there car port. so my dad picked it up and gave it to me....as for the trans, when we were moving I almost threw the trans out. my pops says HEY dont you need a trans....thats a good one.
    So either story you like better they are both FREE!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post deleted by Iceberg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's irritatin' as hell...

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I hate that too!
    What was "Bergy bits" saying anyway???

9. Gracie

Gracie

I never get anything for free dammit. [​IMG]

10. slammed

slammed

Gracie. After some verbal 'sparing', your getting a 'Free' detail job that has to be high dollar in 'Sin City".

11. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    I never get anything for free dammit. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

......Oh Gracie.......I've got a little something "free" for you.......... (and I mean LITTLE!! [​IMG] )

12. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
    -----------------------------
    Post deleted by Iceberg
    -----------------------------

That's irritatin' as hell...

[/ QUOTE ]

No shit..!! I hate that too.....
    leave it up for us to read,
    SOMEtimes it's actually worth reading afterall.....

13. brewsir

brewsir

So how should I value my 289,auto trans,9 in. rear,front axle,gennie shifter and vdo guages that came in the 55 panel truck which I traded a $50 bottle of tequila for???
    I stripped them all out of the panel and am using all of them in a hot rod project.....if I sell the panel body for 2 grand (it's VERY nice) can I count that against the price of future parts??

I'm sooo confused now!

14. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    So how should I value my 289,auto trans,9 in. rear,front axle,gennie shifter and vdo guages that came in the 55 panel truck which I traded a $50 bottle of tequila for???
    I stripped them all out of the panel and am using all of them in a hot rod project.....if I sell the panel body for 2 grand (it's VERY nice) can I count that against the price of future parts??

I'm sooo confused now!

[/ QUOTE ]
    What if you don't build a car with any of it at all?
    They are still worth what ever you can sell them for.
    And if you don't sell them for whatever you can get for them then you are out that amount of money.
    Doesn't really have anything to do with a separate car project.
    If it did you could write off the money you make at your body shop as a debit off the cost of building a rod.
    I guess what I'm getting at is there's a difference between earned income or property and the seperate "kitty" of money spent on a project.
    A $2000 profit from the panel could just as easily be used to pay down the mortgage on your house...That wouldn't mean your house cost you less, would it?

15. My thoughts are if you post it, leave it! You obviously meant it when you typed it out? Stick to your guns. Deleteing the post is like kissing yer hot female cousin then saying later that you did not know she was related to you [​IMG] But you know it gave you joy!

16. tomslik

tomslik

tman, let's see pics of your "cousin" [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]