Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheaper Wide Whites ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaco, Oct 2, 2007.

1. jaco

jaco

Looking for some cheaper WWW. Looking online they are going to run atleast $700. I hate to pay this much for something that will dry rot before I use them up. Is there any cheaper ones on the market? How about recaps? Any info would nice.
    Here's what they will go on. I picked up this 39 Plymouth from 51twodoor this weekend. Thanks Wade (nice guy).
    What do you think, red steel wheels & WWW.
    [​IMG]

2. Grind the whities you have

3. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

join the alliance get a discount on some cokers. why would you want red steelies? that is so last year

4. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Just a newb myself and will probaly try and make my own white walls with snow seal as suggested to me in another thread but wanted to tell you nice car. Lots of useful info in you type wide white wall in the search function. Keep us up to date on your project!

5. junkmonger

junkmonger

6. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Harleydodge, Hey, ya want cheap? Paint 'em on. Couple of people on Evil-Bay sell white wall paint. I love them Cokers but I don't always have the bucs for 'em either. N.N.

7. Cruiser

Cruiser

harleydodge1,

That's a cool ride you pick up, go with the WWW and the red wheels overall that's the best look for your ride. Go for the alliance membership on the HAMB and get the big discount on WWW from Coker.

Red wheels are not so yesterday, they will always be the right look for a traditional ride.

Cruiser :cool:

8. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

9. jaco

jaco

Thanks for all the info. I'll look into the alliance thing and cokers. Also will look at Bear Metals offer.

10. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

i would say more like "thats so 1999!"

11. work on your ride, get a 5.00 can of kyrlon white fusion paint and some masking tape. when you have a nice running ride, then spend the cash.

12. Gorehound

Gorehound
    from Delaware

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Red wheels are "so last year" or "so1999?" I ran red wheels with wide whites on my '53 F-100 in the 70s. If you like red wheels, run red wheels. Who cares what the self-appointed fashion police think? It matters what you think.

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If you aren't going to drive the car (dry rot ?), you can get wide white bias plys for under 400. Cheaper for small sizes, or even used. I saw a couple sets in the classifieds.

15. LilDuec

LilDuec

I did the Krylon Fusion paint on some old rear bias plys I picked up last year from a buddy. Worked out just fine and its worth a shot if u wanna go on the cheap end. Just do lots of prep work before you spray em!! When I get the money I'm gonna get the matching set to my fronts, they're the coker L78-15s. Nice price on those, IF you wanna go the bias ply route.

16. All the Coker 78s are just a little under or over $100.

17. Squablow

Squablow

Bugman's grinding method is really good and if you've got a matching set of skinny white walls or raised white letter tires I'd say go for it.

Otherwise I've done the Krylon method and I've done Snow Seal, and I gotta say Snow Seal is way more flexible so I like that best. Krylon looks good but on weather checked tires it'll get chippy fast (did on my '53) and radials tend to have a lot of sidewall flex anyway.

Here's some pics of my '55 Dodge with the snow seal WWW's

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195367

and some of my '53 Ford with Krylon WWW's

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129558

Either way is really cheap, a big tub of Snow Seal is only like $11 and it's enough to do probably 100 or more tires. Krylon is cheap too but involves a difficult masking job.

And Porta-Walls are junk. Had them on my '60 Fury and they lasted about 2K miles until they flew apart, plus they were way more expensive.

18. leadsled01

leadsled01

Denman tire has pretty good prices on bias ply WWW

19. jaco

jaco

What's snow seal and where can I get it? Is the Krylon just spray paint? Thanks for all the info.

20. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

The Krylon Fusion paint is spray paint... You want the stuff for plastics and rubbers. It has flex and adhesion additives...Jason

21. Harris

Harris

Yes, Krylon is spray paint you can get it just about anywhere.... Krylon Fusion is supposed to "bond" to plastics and rubber.

22. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

I just found out also but snow seal is a roof sealer, probaly get it at your local hardware store. The paint has to be krylon fusion. This is information I just read about on here, have not tried any of it YET!

23. jaco

jaco

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try both this weekend and let you know how it works out.

24. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Cool. Take lots of pics if you can.

25. Bugman

Bugman

Hey, I resemble that video... I've got almost 10,000 miles on the very tires you see in the video with no issues.

26. S.T.P.

S.T.P.

Ive put a ton of miles on mine and It looks better than paint for damn sure.

[​IMG]

27. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Buy the right tires, and use the dry-rot-before-wearing-out justification to do regular burnouts and generally drive like a hoodlum.