Register now to get rid of these ads!

cheap weather stripping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billbrown, Jan 30, 2012.

1. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

Okay guys I got one for you. Factory moulded weather stripping is SUPER expensive. have any of you came up with a cheap way to seal up your windows/doors. Come on, i know someone has a clever trick........and dont reply Expand-A-Foam.

2. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

hit up the hardware store. the lowes here in Texas actually sells car weatherstripping. its by no means nice but it is a whole lot cheaper than anything else I have seen.

3. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I wouldn't skimp here. Nothing ruins a potentially decent car more than cheesy weatherstripping.

4. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

Ill second that, make sure you spend time working on proper door/panel fitment, its worth the extra effort.....dont ask me why :rolleyes:

5. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

x3!

6. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

i assure you I dont EVER put together decent cars. I just bought some bicycle inner tubes and some Gorilla Tape.

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Two ideas off the top of my head:

1. Chamois leather. The section detail has to be different to normal weatherstrip, though. Cork is another possibility. Again, the closure detail has to be designed accordingly.

2. If it is a ground-up build or radical modification, think passive weatherproofing, i.e. "escape route" rather than "raincoat". Form intermediate cavities where water can penetrate easily yet be pretty much shielded from wind pressure, then make sure these can drain easily. This approach is more bulky but quite independent of material deterioration. It has been used in a small number of cases, to good effect.

8. J.C.Whitney used to offer rubber weatherstrip in a lot of different profiles. Are they still in business?

9. charlieb66

charlieb66

10. 29moonshine

29moonshine

3/8" rope caulk at lowes cut it in have and glue in place it it comes in gray or black

11. dechrome

dechrome

Weather stripping can be removed from cars in the salvage yard. There many styles and shapes.. The price is dirt cheap and sometimes free. While you are at it take your battery screw driver and harvest all the fancy trim screws that you can collect. These come in super handy and save many trips to the store.

deChrome

12. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

what kind of ride are you working on?

yeah, they're still in 'business' more into "newer" cars they have some vintage car stuff.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/...sku=wheather+strip&shopid=100005&&filterid=j5

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  13. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Exppppand-A-Form .Check the vendors on the H.A.M.B. Thats where i buy mine.
    B.B.

14. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

parts stores have cheap stripping that works ok for the most part... alot cheaper than big company and I used it cause NO one offers stripping for what I was working on...

15. I would think junk yard. I fastened OT weather stripping with pop rivets and small washers by putting a small cut in the hollow rubber stripping and installing the rivet in the inside also lots of glue or contact cement.

16. squirrel

squirrel

when thinking cheap weatherstrip, I used to think of Metro..but I guess it's not cheap any more.

http://www.metrommp.com/

17. For simple sealing problems, Mc Master Carr. Resonable prices buy the foot. Adhesive backed and non adhesive / pinchweld seal / look and there may be a solution, for one or more, seals you'll like.
    [​IMG]
    Edge-Grip Seals

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber-seals/=g1mms0

18. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Great info in this thread that I will need in the future. Thanks for posting.

19. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Divco, I like the photo but I am not seeing any window channel that the window goes up in down in. My 29 Model a is missing these so the windows rattle. Anyone have an idea what fits in these?

20. Ive used the foam tape weather stripping for your house with great results holds up well and the sticky hasn't worn out in 8 years

21. You will find something here, C.R. Laurence Co., Inc.

Here are window channels and guide clips

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showLine/default.aspx?GroupID=19780&History=30587:19748:19770:19748&pom=0

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showLine/default.aspx?GroupID=19782&History=30587:19748:19770:19748&pom=0

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showLine/default.aspx?GroupID=19783&History=30587:19748:19770:19748&pom=0

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showLine/default.aspx?GroupID=2740&Path=30587::2740

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  22. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Thanks again Divco, the first link is exactly what I want. Wonder why they make you sign in to see the prices?

23. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Those are nicknamed "fuzzies" stop by Bell Auto Glass one block east of I-17 and Bell Road in Phoenix.

24. i got a rattly car that i call the Tornado, dont even need a radio it is so noisey with wind leaks, you cant hear it and its gonna be a road car this year. a friend give me a bunch of brand new new car weatherstrip and tried it and it aint gonna cut it. so it looks like its time to bite the bullet and buy the right stuff.:D but there sure is a difference in price where you buy it. found that out on the winshield rubber

a choped car with curved winshield posts sure are a wonder to seal too:eek:

and when they want $120 for a couple little seals sometimed you just may have to leave them or add some hardware store foam

25. 29sportcoupe

29sportcoupe
    from arizona

Thanks Jeff, I will be stopping by there today. Tired of rags stuffed around my 82 year old glass so they dont break. Fuzzies it is.