Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cheap to free coilovers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jerrybigbird, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

I did a hamb search and turned nothing up so I decided to start a thread. Today while carousing my local a9tv wrecking yard I stumbled across a couple of FREE coilover shocks. Ones blue and ones green because they are off different machines but other than that they are the same and they bolted right on. They were on monoshock machines. 2X4 Polaris trail boss if I remember right. Hope this helps somebody. What's your guys thoughts 1216161638b.jpg sorry for the crummy pic

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O I don't believe that these ATV coil overs are going to be up to the task of service on a car.

3. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

They are adjustable And seem like they will have enough spring rate. I was kind of skeptical at first also. Any reason in particular? Its a t bucket frame

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The weight of the hot rod is probably going to at least double or more the weight of the ATV.

The shocks won't be designed for that kind of load or service.
    A short life for them and they may even be dangerous to use.

5. The aftermarket Heavy duty springs are 140# spring rate

6. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

Well thought I'd throw it out there

7. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

about right for a t bucket ?

8. evintho

evintho

Here's another dirt cheap option. Grabbed these from Pick-N-Pull on half price day. $9 each. I replaced the shocks @$60 for the pair. Came off an '88 Subaru station wagon. 150# spring rate. They work great on the roadster or any light car.

[​IMG]

And, if you've got a heavier car, how about these coilovers out of a '79 Jag XJ6. Spring rate of 400#. Also, $9 each on half price day.

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and Jerrybigbird like this.
  9. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

Wish my local yard had 1/2 price day

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

You'll find the shaft diameter will be too small and not be up to the task. It will fail before too long as it's not designed for that purpose. Same as using a motorcycle shock absorber in lieu of a car shock absorber.