Register now to get rid of these ads!

cheap paints. omni or nason?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luckystiff, Oct 12, 2003.

1. luckystiff

luckystiff

ok let the opinions fly. gettin the plymouth ready fro paint and have been thinking on keeping as low budget as possible since it's gonna be a driver that sees a bit of abbuse. i've been wantin' to spray something with omni for a while and will probably go that way unless someone has to bad of an experience to tell here. the buick is sprayed with HOK with nason clear and i know a bunch of you guys hear think alot of that clear. i truly think for the price it's hard to beat. i've heard the new omni gold clears are good. give me opinions on your use with either or better both if you've used both. oh by the way usually i spray ppg or hok. the funds are just a little tight. i was thinking about spraying it with ppg ncp272 corrosion resistant primers tinted till maybe next spring, but the car is all apart right now so i'd just as soon go ahead and spray it...ken....

2. Spray it all now,use the Omni and stay with one paint system throughout the job.Chances are once it goes back together,you'll never take it back apart.I can't imagine there is that big of a price difference.I'd have to say use the PPG if your use to spraying it,you'll be money ahead since you already know the paint system.

3. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Alot of people at the school shop use omni basecoats with no problems, but I've heard alot of bitching about their clear. From what I've heard from people Transtar Clear is good stuff for the price (about $100 a gallon for everything). My bodyshop teacher loves that stuff. You still planning on making it to the Oakboro cruise on the 24th? I'll be there, but I dunno if the poncho will. Still alot do do. There was 350+ cars there last month, and expecting more this time. They also added a month so there will be another one next month from what I've been told. The Poncho will DEFINATELY make that one.

4. luckystiff

luckystiff

switch,
    don't know if it's gonna make the cruise or goodguys. was going good and then my last remaining grandmother died on monday and i've been in alabama all week. i'll get back to work on the car as of tommorrow, but time is tight. i had some days owed to me by the other shop person, but i used it all on this trip. was gonna use it to finish if i needed but now i don't have that option. i may pull the plymouth out of the way next week and taker the wrenches to the buick and see if i can solve it's ills...ken....

5. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

well even if one of your rides don't make it, your ass can still make it so i don't wanna hear any bullshit. Last I heard FatAss was supposed to be going too, i want there to be some people to actually shoot the shit with this time instead of just a bunch of asshole old men. Where you gonna spray the plymouth at? If you need a place i might be able to work something out and get you in our fancy ass booth.

6. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

When I worked at the body shop, we all thought Omni smelled just like PPG paints while you were working with them. Then we found out it was made by them as their "economy" line. We used Omni stuff on the cheap jobs (primer/colors), and the clear coats on just about everything. We never had any complaints about peeling or fading or anything, and we offered a lifetime warranty on the work. My opinion is, the Omni stuff was the "bottom of the barrels" in PPG's plant...kind like tap beer...it's the same stuff as the more expensive brand, but there may be some inconsistancies in the quality. Go with the Omni, but don't mix brands. And remember, shiney paint won't make crappy bodywork look better. The key is always in the prep. Use WAX AND GREASE REMOVER on EVERYTHING!

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

I used Nason on my "A" almost 3-years ago, my daily driver, and it looks as good as it did the day I did it.