Register now to get rid of these ads!

cheap painter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by halfcockedcustoms, Oct 1, 2008.

1. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

could I use a wagner painter to spray primer(don't have a good enough compressor or the money to buy one) and don't want to use spray cans,,,,,or is there something else I can use?

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

call your local rental yard and rent a compressor

3. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

closest is an hour away

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

So drive.

5. Frank & Sara

Frank & Sara

6. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

In the early 80s I new a guy who painted a mid 70s Camaro Late Model stock car with a Wagner. It was a fresh build and the were straight and it turned out good. I don't know what brand of paint or how exactly he mixed it but it was tutone Red and Silver and it had shine and looked fine.

Its by no means the best way but like alot of things, some people can work wonders with limited tools and some can't assemble a swing set with $15,000 worth of tools.

7. rusty48

rusty48

If you got a Wagner try it on something that don't matter see what it does.

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

Harbor freight has gravity feeds for like $20 on sale... borrow a compressor from another hamber!!!

9. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

I had an uncle who painted a '56 Chevy wagon with the sprayer from a Kirby vacuum cleaner back in the day. To be honest, it wasn't half bad except for the colors (sky blue and canary yellow, pastels). You know the old saying," where there's a will, there's a way". I don't know why not. I got a Wagner and I painted some pretty heavy stuff w/it already. An HVLP it ain't, but give it a whirl. Let us know how it works...

10. Joe King

Joe King

Isn't that true hot rodding?
    Taking something and making it work.
    I'd try it, I have 2 compressors and no gun, go figure.

11. roddinron

roddinron

I did that once! I was fixing up a 50 Ford truck, and needed to paint it, so I hooked up my mothers old vacuum that came with the optional sprayer (also had a weird attachment for the hose that turned the whole hose into a vibrator, but that's another story ;)) and sprayed rustoleum rusty metal primer on it, didn't look too bad, but I think gloss would have been another story.

12. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

I'm just shootin primer on,, not paint,,,will be hauling to a buddys shop for paint..I just tryin to get some body work done at home,,,,

13. willys33

willys33
    from New Mexico

14. If its primer you will sand most of it off prior to paint. I dont thinks its the best thing to do, you can buy a cheap gun for 20 bucks and home depot rents compressers I remember about 7 years ago PPG was pushing roll on primer for spot repairs. The idea was to cut down on masking off the car and cutting down on overspray and materials usage. Good Luck

15. Toqwik

Toqwik

I primed my 41 Chevy with a auto A/C compressor using an air tank that a fireman carries on his back! Went slow, but turned out great.

16. Wildcatter

Wildcatter

My first ride was a 55 Chevy P/U, my dad primed it using a 5 gallon propane tank! He would shoot a little, then let the propane dissipate.....

Just an anecdote. Don't even think about doing this- extremely dangerous at best!

WC

17. Katula

Katula
    from Austin, TX

I'll give it to your dad.......that is a pretty halfcocked idea. Primer is an essential part to the actual paint job.....

18. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

is there a paint gun that will work with smaller compressers?

19. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I got a Wagner to spray paint the house. It was so loud and splattered everywhere, I ended up using rollers and brushes.