Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheap & easy Model A drip rails

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Probesport, Dec 1, 2010.

1. No really, I thought it was impossible myself. Here is how to make cheap & easy Model A drip rails from some original pieces that are fairly easy to get ahold of - if you don't have them already. This is probably not a new idea but I had not seen it before so I felt inclined to share.

it's not completed yet but you can definitely see what I am trying to accomplish.

First things first, you need the parts - and here is what I used....

This is the inside window trim from my model A, and on my shortened car one per side is all I need.
    [​IMG]

The reason why I thought this would work, this is the trim, flipped over and put up against the rail mount channel.
    [​IMG]

The major issue is that the curve doesn't line up to the body, so we make a couple notches
    [​IMG]

Then bend to close the gap
    [​IMG]

Test fit
    [​IMG]

Weld & grind...
    [​IMG]

Testing again...
    [​IMG]

another view
    [​IMG]

and another
    [​IMG]

Tacked on
    [​IMG]

From this point I will be finishing both sides then welding from the inside and cleaning off outside tacks, the cleaning up, body work, etc. but these look the part in my eyes and its vintage steel from the car.

Hope this helps someone out, or at least makes me look partially insane, either way this is the way I'm doing it :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

Good tip! I'll pass that on to my buddy who is building an A.

3. From a distance...

[​IMG]

You can see only the back section is on, I need to use the vertical piece that I cut off to finish the front part.

4. Added some new pics to first post

5. UPDATE: Here is the fnished drivers side (Sorry for the bad pics, used phone)

[​IMG]

And getting started on the repair and rails for the passenger side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

The only problem I see with that is the inner window moldings for sedans are hard to find, they were nailed to wood, fell off and were lost. Check the prices at a swap meet or on E-bay if you can find them. Several companys make repop drip rails fairly cheap.

7. It was hard to find steel drip rails when I started this and the window moldings where in with a pile of parts. I saw a repop recently and it definitely would have been a bit easier.