Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cheap ass 34 pick up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dumprat, May 31, 2015.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve been surprised how much the cheap indoor outdoor carpet you find at the store for like $5-$10 for a big chunk flexes. Might be worth a shot

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

@Tim its going to be a fight to make it comfortable with three pedals in it. I am going to fool with seat placement and pedals again today. I may have to remake both the seat mounts and pedal arms. I just can't get my feet in a comfortable position.
    I will likely skin the one side of the tunnel with polished stainless because I think the carpet will get scuffed off in short order.

Stogy, loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fair enough. I always liked how @zibo had little circles of grip tape on his floor where his heels would land while driving to keep them planted.

always reminded me of smooth little pond stones for some reason

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Foot room, especially around the pedals is critical. Not just for comfort but for safety too. At Hot August Nights a few years ago we watched a gut in an old Vette get his feet tangled and accelerate into the rear end of a very overdone '37 Ford coupe.
    You may have to hire a chauffeur and you can sit in a lawn chair in the bed. You'll be glad you didn't shorten that! :eek:

Stogy, loudbang and dumprat like this.
  5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_0230.jpg Clutch linkage isn't very sexy but it's more interesting than pics of me cutting up leather sofas for new interior panels, or fitting e brake cables .

6. I am at a stumbling block with my 34 with its clutch and brake peddles.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

As some one who’s curious about e brake cables and upholstery feel free to snap a few shots even if it is boring . Looking forward to seeing this thing move under its own power!

8. I built a ‘32 pickup; made my own frame and other things. Getting the pedals sorted out was by far the most difficult part of the whole project. But hang in there you’ll get it.

Big mike 1968, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

New seat should help. I am moving the brake pedal to the left as well.

Big mike 1968, Tim, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_0232.jpg One roachy free late 80's Toyota seat. I have to fix a couple of broken springs. Not sure if sleeving them with brakeline will work but it's worth a try. Two spring broke where they fit through the frame. Poor truck musta been owned by a fat guy who never rolled up the drivers window. The seat bottom spring grid was rusted and gone, but I have a plan to fix and upgrade that! IMG_0246.jpg

11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Fighting a pinched nerve in my arm, means no fabrication and only light duty jobs. So tried to take it as easy as possible and made the oil pressure line, and started mounting the gauges. IMG_0254.jpg

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good man. That brake line sleeve is a clever idea. I bet it works

13. I know that hanging pedals are different, but I just wanted to show the pedal placement as that will give the same result regardless. Notice how far to the left the clutch is, and the brake lines up with the steering column. This gives me lots of room for the throttle and is still comfortable for shifting and braking. 2ABA4E32-9730-4FB6-8BF5-CE6A98B32C44.jpeg

14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

@Stllrng I am going to pull the pedal arms and cut weld and rebend them soon. I think I . May be able to just move the brake left about 1-1/2" to make it all work.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  15. It will work great and I can’t wait to see that truck on the road!

Big mike 1968 and loudbang like this.
  16. Question: How did you attach your hood top?

Big mike 1968 and loudbang like this.
  17. Now that I have mine sorted out, next up for me is to take mine out and cut and weld to move them forward. I can go about 2 1/4” ahead; that should make a huge difference inside that tiny cab.

loudbang, Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

What do you mean? I runs on the original style hinge. I am going to use model A hood hold downs run upside down on each end to latch it.

Jeff34, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_0257.jpg Spent Saturday disassembling a free leather couch for the new interior.

Tim, Stogy, brEad and 11 others like this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

This will be interesting.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Cutlas Fan

Cutlas Fan

I'm not sure splicing the broken spring will work unless you can ensure that the spring can't twist inside the tube as the zig zag spring is actually a torsion bar. Zig zag spring is available at most upholstery stores and isn't expensive. I replaced a number of broken ones in my car. I used a propane torch to heat them up to bend into shape.

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Where the spring broke is where it's attached to a second spring under it. I plan to attach them to together with strips of webbing. They were unsupported originally.

23. I’ve got some new spring stock here somewhere in a box if you feel the need to “spring” from the spring splices.

24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_0298.jpg IMG_0297.jpg Well it has been a rough few weeks here at the Dumprat mansion. Had sinus surgery and then complications which netted me a ride in an ambulance and two trips to the ER. So I have been stuck riding the couch a lot.
    I have been picking away at very lightbduty stuff and have finall got a belt routing that works and a charging system. I had to ditch the generator and step up two years to a 1960 Chrysler 35 amp alternator. A set of lightly modified Trans dapt brackets and a special bolt made it work. I had to make an idler to keep the belt in line but it all works! That makes me pretty happy.
    I will pull the alternator down and polish it at some point but that can wait.
    Hood closes and the alternator doesn't stick past it or the rad shell!

Tim, Woogeroo, Shadow Creek and 13 others like this.
  25. guitarguy

guitarguy

Either that or paint it satin black so it kind of disappears into the engine area. I'm a big fan of blacking out alternators even in newer non HAMB stuff.

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Nah I think polished is better. Not going to hide regardless of what colour it is.

Besides dodge guys who know what it get the fact it's first year of an alternator. Seems like a logical update for an old car.

bchctybob, brEad, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_0322.jpg Poured rain here today, which means I got to play in the garage rather than shovel gravel! I finally got my seat frame finished and painted. I tried it out with the original foam and it's nice and firm. The suspension works correct and once I get the backrest spring she all tied together with Pirelli webbing it should be a solid base for the new foam I bought.

brEad, guitarguy, Woogeroo and 6 others like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

LOL those "Bottom"? parts look like old time "cookie cooling racks" :)

29. reverend-heat

reverend-heat
    from Germany

:) - definetly kitchenware! Stiffer than nothing - softer than a plank.
    Great idea, will probably be better than the original.

Six Ball, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  30. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Yup non stick and dishwasher safe!

The original were just wire twisted at the end around some larger wire. They rusted right off.

Tman, guitarguy, Stogy and 3 others like this.