Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chassis! The T will see the road this year thanks to HAMB

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CRH, Mar 30, 2008.

1. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

[​IMG]

The slow process of recutting, regrinding, rewelding, and remeasuring this once-quit-on project is coming to a close! I finished correcting what I could, ran the brakes, fuel, trans cooler and am ready to put the body on for real this time! Woo hoo! I even corrected my rear suspension setup, turning the split bones into lower links of a 4 link. (I haven't yet put Ford rod ends on the front of the rear bones, but will). If you can overlook the nasty weld-burned rattle can red, and the interesting use of the Model A rear crossmember, it ain't so bad. Plus, don't those skinny bias plys and '40 caps on solids make you smile? I can't wait to drive the rattle trap.
    Oh yes- next week (hopefully) the DMV officer is coming over to give me my new VIN tag and make the '27 legal. Title will say what it really is, also- a '27 roadster. I'm excited!

I have to thank the members of this rather Hokey message board for the willingness to share information about building (or rebuilding!) a safe, reasonably decent and cool traditional hot rod.

2. hooligan1

hooligan1

3. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Thanks man. It has been quite a learning experience so far.

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I like it! Very old school.
    who wants a frame full of DOM tube and coilovers when something like this is right there for you to use?
    I think you made a wise choice in taking the time to save it.

5. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Thanks Hackerbill! Although this is all I could afford I agree with you. It looks the part. Yeah, I wish it was "plumb-er and square-er", but I've done what I can to at least make it reasonably safe and it seems to drive pretty nice. I have to thank the HAMB for the info I've gleaned, especially concerning safety, strength of welds, and rear suspension setups. Basic rules that I needed to learn. Thanks!

6. that is an interesting use of a rear cross member. is it gona mess with your floor?

7. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

So far it doesn't, but it is definitely weird. I was tempted to demolish the entire frame set up, but couldn't afford to go that route. So I left the weirdo setups in some places, and removed/replaced in others. And I re-welded EVERYTHING! And like I said, so far having the rear stock mount stuck in the middle of my frame doesn't cause any issues with the body.

8. so hows it coming?

9. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

It's been on a sort of "hiatus" ever since May 7th (3 mos. ago). I got 44K volts through both hands and out the right foot, and then fell 8 feet onto concrete and gravel. I am still getting better from brain injury, encephalitis, chopped off foot parts, etc. But I still like old cars, and I think I still have some of my brains left! I plan on getting to this little jalopy as soon as health allows.