Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical CHASSIS, SO-What Truck....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41sled, Nov 13, 2003.

1. 41sled

41sled
    from Orange, CA

Here ya go clark,,,,,, hanging on my wall for a looong time..

Attached Files:

2. Tony

Tony

I like 'em all!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rat...

3. 41sled

41sled
    from Orange, CA

Yours..

Attached Files:

4. 41sled

41sled
    from Orange, CA

last one.

Attached Files:

5. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I used a long wheelbase frame and removed 7 inches from the frame at the factory lap. You could use a short wheelbase frame and remove some of the front of the bed. I used a S10 Blazer gas tank and a Blazer rear end. My truck, (WZ JUNK) has a shorter bed because I wanted it that way. I am interested in how the So What trucks are lowered. I channel the truck I am working on as much as it was easy to do.

The site of the company from Florida that makes the kit for the S10 frame and a glass body of this style of truck is misleading. They make it look simple. It is not as easy as they make it look. One of the big issues is the radiator but I have overcome that one.

Again if anyone has questions they can email me. I will have pictures to post soon of the frame and drivetrain.

6. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

My truck is the one with the white front end. The bumper on that thing touches the ground with the airbags emptied. The deal is, my cab is mounted 5 inches above the frame rails. This was done so I didn't have to put a tranny tunnel in the floor. My interior was done so I didn't want to screw it up. Any of us would be more than happy to answer any questions about the conversion. Maybe Clark and I can get some real pics and measurments on the Techomatic board.

7. I'm very interested too. I'm still trying to decide if I should use the stock frame or the S-10 swap. Can you guys give some pros and cons? I have a 3/4 ton frame so I'll have to do some frame cutting to get a 1/2 ton box to work anyway. Thanks. Motor Mikey--What size wheels do you have on your truck.

8. TexasDeuce

TexasDeuce

Hey guys,
    Gay or not, you guys are a real inspiration...*(correction--what you've done with these trucks is a real inspiration) [​IMG]

Any way, can't wait for the how-to info please keep us posted---Damn *correction (let us know ) when you place this on the Tech page. Some of us need all the help we can get.

Thanks, TD [​IMG]

9. johnnylonghair

johnnylonghair

without a doubt use an s-10 frame 82-94 are all the same frame if I recall. Its so nice to walk into any autoparts place and ask for s-10 shocks,brakes you get the idea. All three of us are using airbags, clark and mikey used the rear trailing arms, I just took out all but one leaf and mounted the bags right to the axle. Mikey and I also have drop spindles up front to get really low, Clark doesn't(pussy)...and thanks for all the great comments.I have the
    chopped,suicided,and flamed GMC
    John

10. johnnylonghair

johnnylonghair

Hey pete yeah we did move the rear fender back about an inch or so we did this because the s-10 frame is one inch longer in the wheelbase. Had to have the wheel centered of corse.
    john

11. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

.....don't forget "Soup's" truck........

[​IMG]

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

There was one at the GG Charlotte show that was mounted on a S-10 blazer frame (which are thicker the truck) and it had a shortened bed to fit the wheel lenght (do not know if it was a 2 dr or a 4dr (forgot to ask - I believe it is owned by a HAMBer that lurks but doest not post much)..... Looked bitchin... would love to have it.. I had a pic of it but can not find it now... It sat really low but did not require the 5 inch or so body lift like most due when you use the truck frame...

13. Is this it? Onelow48's truck-I'm pretty sure on a blazer frame.

Attached Files:

14. Onelow48's truck is on an S-10 longbed frame. The only reason we mount the body's a couple inches off the frame is to keep from having a big tranny hump.
    I'll try to give you an explanation of how and why we do the swap tommorrow.
    Clark

15. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

Not a Blazer frame. Long bed s-10. Looks much better with
    a bumper A?

Attached Files:

16. the headlights help too [​IMG]

17. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

Glassholes grill is SWEET. U-dA-Man

18. TexasDeuce

TexasDeuce

Man! These are really cool! [​IMG]

Are you guys really planning on putting something on the tech-o-matic?

TD

19. KCMongo

KCMongo
    from KC

This thread inspired me, so I tore into my S10 Swap project last weekend and got a bit done, hopefully over the thanksgiving holiday while I'm at the farm, I'll get the chance to work on it more. I took some pics and threw a weblog together for it
    http://www.mongosgarage.com/S47/progress.htm
    I'm sure I'll hit the So-What guys up with some questions when I get to that point.
    Mongo

20. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

Hey... how do they do on sand?

Maybe with a 4x4 blazer chassis they might do ok... [​IMG]

21. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yeah the s-10 old chevy truck swap needs to be photo documented and put into the tech-o-matic, right beside rockys spindel swap for fords

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'd be interested in seeing what goes into to doing this also.

Glenn

23. CalifCarl

CalifCarl

Interesting stuff! I can see a custom 32 Ford grille shell amongst those pictures!

24. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Yep, me too.

The pictures on here got me fired up about mine again. I'd bought the S10 frame several years ago, just never really followed through with it.

Today, I brought the cab home and got to work. I didn't get too much done to it, just hung the brake pedal and master cylinder and column.

More work tomorrow

Attached Files:

25. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

Here is the pic that moved me to build mine.

Attached Files:

26. sawzall

sawzall

[ QUOTE ]
    Not a Blazer frame. Long bed s-10. Looks much better with
    a bumper A?

[/ QUOTE ]

tank

yeah it looks alot better with a front bumper..

the best deal with onelows truck is that the cab was one of the so what "set up pieces".

27. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

Ha! Sawzall whats up? I've been driving up to Philly every other day for work. Were do you live? Liquid lunch! Any
    old cars that run up your way. Jess's car die'd she does'nt want a import anymore! She's looking for a Impala

28. lulabelle

lulabelle

Hillbilly,I hate to tell you,but,that's not an S-10 frame.Plus you mounted the cab sideways. [​IMG]

29. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I'm building a '54 and have the frame sitting in the yard with a Monte Carlo frame sitting next to it, thinking I'd subframe it. People keep suggesting the S-10 route instead, and I'm thinking I'd sure love to seem constuction details and read more about the process.

I hope you guys that have done it will post more details!

This is how I want it to sit.

Attached Files:

30. JamesG

JamesG