Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chassis set up for SBC vs SBF

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bantam, Dec 24, 2017.

1. bantam

bantam

hi guys -

Question I feel like I should know the answer to, but I don’t: I am looking at an aftermarket 1934 Ford chassis that is currently set up for SBC. I want to put in a SBF, 302 ci. Are the mounts currently welded onto the chassis in the correct place for SBF and SBC? or will they need moved to accommodate the SBF? If need moved:

1. does anyone make a motor mount that “converts” a chassis set up for an SBC to accommodate an SBF engine?
    2. If no conversion, can someone point me to a drawing that shows where the SBF mounts should be located?

Not worried about the tranny mount as movIng to a 4 speed and it will need changed regardless.

Thanks

bantam

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Chevy an Ford will not interchange. No big issue to change.

3. Generally speaking Ford and GM mounts are not in the same location or the same style. If building a new Trans mount is in your scope of ability's so should adjusting for different motor mounts. I also doubt you'll find a Kit to do that job.
    The Wizzard

4. I'm pretty sure the SBF is a little longer than a SBC by a few inches.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First, to give an honest answer we need to see a photo of the mounts that are in the frame now.
    A universal crossmember under the engine that uses the factory Chevy style mounts might be a pretty big challenge. Side mounts that use a biscuit might be a bit simpler as you just have to fab mounts that bolt to the block and fit up to the biscuits.
    That said I'd think most of us would just cut the brackets off and fab new ones that work. It's not rocket science, it is just some creative fabrication.

6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa