Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chassis Research style dragster/Comp Coupe build flathead powered

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dragsled, Nov 20, 2011.

1. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dragster looks great. We in IA might not be close to CA but at least we're having CA weather now.

2. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Tim that dragster is bad-ass!! blower set up is trick!
    by the way the olds rear is going to the shop, than in the willys!
    thanks
    again
    vince

3. Damn Tim you are going to need a periscope to see......................

4. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Verno30 don't mind this weather at all Vince, glad the olds stuff worked out for you Carl i guess I'll have to keep an eye on the front wheels to see where I'm at, HA HA By the way what did you plan on useing for a crank hub for your blower motor, and also does anyone make a timing cover for a flattie to drive the injector pump off of or should I use a belt drive setup thanks Tim Jones

5. Tim I plan on making my own hub, blower snout and drive setup, then probably use chev pulleys and my own idler setup......... unless I can get a drive setup cheap..............

6. hey tim im really lovin this build. Do you think youll make it to the hamb drags this summer? I went to wach last year, Had a blast,Decided to bring my digger from now on.

7. Do any of you guys know of anybody making hubs for ford spindles and motorcycle wheels? If i had a set of front wheels, Id build one of these style dragsters.

8. kisam

kisam

Tim,
    Looking good - your almost there!

9. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Looks good if you need info about a 671 combo send me a PM I have a ton of experiance running 671 blown flatheads on gas not an easy thing to do without hurting the block.
    Ronnieroadster

10. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Here's a veiw from the seat!:eek: Hey Carl If the Purple People Eater can see to run down the track so can I :confused: BTW Carl I might have to try to sweet talk you into makeing two crank hubs!!:D thanks Kisam still got a ways to go , Slingshotjimmy there's a guy named guffy on here he might have a set of ford spindle dragster wheels, or if you want to spend some money speedway motors T bucket wire wheels will work on ford spindles kinda pricey tho, ronnieroadster sent you a PM Thanks Tim Jones

Attached Files:

11. Great View there Tim, thats one more for my flat collection..................

12. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

STUNNING, almost put my eyes out! HeHeHe

13. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

looking great!

14. the shadow

the shadow

nice project is that flattie gonna take that 6-71 huffer? whats the scoope on the funny car in the background...don't hold out on us on that story/pics either!!:D

paul

15. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks for the complements Guys, Hi Paul AKA Shadow, the motor that the blower is sitting on won't handle it but my plan is to build one that will, There is a weath of info and a bunch of people on here that have more experince with flatheads than me to go to for info, I'll underdrive the 6-71 to start, talked to roadsterronnie on here the other nite, he runs a land speed lakester with a flathead and a 6-71 aside from the normal beefing up the motor , he said my biggest problem will be heat, I'll have to work that out when i get to that point, you can be sure tho i'll be picking the brains of some of the flathead Guys on here, I'll be running my (as roseville Carl says) slug motor at first to work out some of the chassis bugs, as for the funny car ,It's Tim Beebe's 72 satelite Fighting Irish car, My plan is to restore it and run a few match races and display it, , talked to Tim Beebe about my plans and he jokeingly said well I can't tell you what I did yesterday but if you build it close to what we ran I can tell you what combnations we used at different tracks,, great guy ,I lucklly had met him a few times when I was working on fuel cars, didn't get the original chassis but got a 118 inch wheelbase chassis with it they used a watson chassis ,the one i got looks to be a Romeo Palimidies chassis ,fairly close in design, just have a few odds and ends for the funny so far, we are welding up a windowed KB block to use in it, A couple guys who used to paint and letter my cars when I was younger can't wait to put some color on the body next summer after I fit the body and tin work to the chassis, but for now it's just cool to own a funny car that I watched run when I was a teenager, Being the funny car isn't a Hamb type car I'll have to sneak in a few pics on this build thread ,I doubt anyone will bitch much seeing the amount of drag racers that are on here:D Tim Jones BTW your dragster is a fine looking machine

Attached Files:

16. the shadow

the shadow

Tim,
    nice story on the FC, I love old funny cars and always wanted to step up to one from my dragsters but never had the oppritunity. I have a few friends with NFC's like rocky perrone (boss hydro on the hamb) with his screaming eagle firebird FC and bob rosetty with the rolling stoned & tweety's rat FC's and paul gold (goldy on here) who owns the good vibrations FC(ex-wendys john force car) as well as his current restoration of the philadelphia flyer fc and I think he just picked up the old steve kunikia FC too? I bet if you started a hamb social group for vintage funny cars you'd get some fellow members, they maynot be vintage but they are reall cool, I'd sign up! Are you a member of the classic funny car board, if not you need to be on there too! I am on there as the shadow as well.
    here's the link to it if you aren't on it:
    http://classicfunnycarboard.com/CFB/index.php

good luck on the dragster project, I have thought about doing a fenn style chassis like yours and dropping my blown sbc in it from my lyndwood to go have some fun, newer pipe would make me feel alittle safer (the lyndwood pipe is 50+ years old)

Paul

17. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Hi again Paul, Yeah I'm on the classic funny car deal and headerflames also,funny you talked about the philly flyer ,I worked on that car when Frank krambeger ran it tho the one goldy is restoreing was the older car frank had,, it had a early tbird or mustang body on it, i remember the body weighed a ton!! i worked on franks mckinny car,, last body was a probe, worked for jack Ostrander and Clayton Harris and some others after that, while i was takeing a break from the fuel car wars I recived a bad head injury working on my house a week later a blood clot went through me an when i woke up in the hopsital most of my memory was gone ,pretty much had to learn everything over,, that was 15 years or so ago some of it has come back, luckly I have lots of pics and video of those days, the sport has changed a ton scince then, hell if we ran a 4.99 or better that was a big deal , now that proablly wouldnt get you in the show, but the more I miss around with these cars ,the more it seems like second nature again, still a ton to relearn, sometimes people would stop by the house to see how i was doing, and i wouldn't have any idea who they were and most of them I grew up with, Shitty deal back then ,O well that was along time ago, this oldtime dragster deal is lots of fun, getting to know alot of great people, talk to you later Tim Jones

18. 1961A/D

1961A/D

Hi Tim been a while since I checked out your progress on the dragster, SWEET. Love the flat head set up, awesome look with the 671 on top, hoping maybe if the weather stays as it is in my area I might be able to talk to the property owner and try and move my trailer so I can put the front end together with the original chromed spindles and the new wheels. My luck if I move the traler we'll get a major storm. Most likely will wait for April. Will be in touch, more on the return road.
    Bobby

19. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Well haven't done to much lately, and won't be doing much for a while either, got to have some surgery done on fri. after that I'm not suposed to do to much for six weeks, no work, no cars, just heal up, Bummer, I'm not very good at doing nothing, But I got my eldebrock heads bolted on and torqued down , Scince I'm new to the flathead world ,got one of my books out to make sure I didit right, ,also got the motor plate for the funny car made and got the KB set in it, before my time off starts,

Attached Files:

20. Get well quick Tim!!!!

21. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Well as long as I on here I'll show you the logo for the racing team one of the guys from work drew up for me ,I'll have to explaine it though , A friend of mine and I have some sled dogs, She keeps some of them at her place ,the guys at work called my place huskytown north and hers was huskytown south, about a year ago one of my dogs got hit by a pickup :eek:,when the guy stopped and went back to pick her up off the road and let me know he killed her ,She jumped up and limped to the house:(, Well she had a broken pelvis broke front leg ,ribs and some other damage, While she was healing up I picked up a dog that was hit on the highway on my way to work, So the guys started calling my place the cripple dog ranch:D,even tho my dog healed up fine and the other dogs owers were found and he's doing fine also, Here's some pics of my so called crippled dog, shes the brown one out running the husky, but the name stuck, I also planted 500 Aronia bushs for my retirement ,Well thats the plan at least, But anyway here's the drawing Brian Chollet drew up for me, and some pics of the kids ,and Carol and Kodiak doing what they like to do

Attached Files:

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Holy Shit Carl I was so busy looking at the husky, The valve covers slipped by me:eek:, HA HA,Well I talked to my buddy , And after his first Are you F**KIN kidding:mad: , I explained that it was a big deal, I told him how all my new Flathead buddies would disown me, and that they would buy my t shirts just to use as shop rags, and said I'm this close to being able to join the secret society of Flathead racers,Secret handshake and everything:(,I said these guys are hardcore, they don't think the flattie dragster should have to share the shop with the funny car, this valvecover deal is Bad KARMA dude, so after all that he said OK no problem it's a easy fix,:D , Man I thought my upcomming surgey was a bad deal!!

23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Sending good thoughts for a successful surgery. Heal fast and do what they say to speed your recovery. Love your build, keep up the good work. (Don't mind the funny car even if it is a bit off topic, it's from back when they looked like cars.)

24. you're forgiven...........

25. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

thanks Tom My youngest daugther informed me if she stopped by and catches me working on the cars ,she was takeing the keys to the shop away:(, and my oldest is going to be in Omaha for about a month doing some music stuff and she said the same thing, Man a guy can't win:mad:, Hey Carl does this me you and Dimitri will still show me the Flathead racer's secret handshake and get me the decoder ring to let me in on the flattie tuneups:D

26. No problem Tim, make it out to Eagle in May and there will be a special place for you..............

27. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Well my simple surgey was alittle more than I wanted, Fri Surgey went well and quick, stayed at my daugthers place fri nite, Sat AM headed back to the hospital via ambulance had an alergic reaction to the pain meds ,heart rate went through the roof, sick as hell, not a fun deal at all , but all ended well ,I'm back at home feelling better, and on the road to better days, Now if I could figure out how to teach these dogs how to cook for me life would be perfect , talk to you guys later Tim

28. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

looking forward to more on the slingshot, but ya got to heal up to get to the starting line! your inspiring me to get back to my te 440.