Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chassis Research style dragster/Comp Coupe build flathead powered

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dragsled, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Not much other than my son picked up 2 Vertex mags for it. It's in hibernation right now.

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hey Tim ! .... Beth is making you look bad brother :)

Job well done.
    Glenn

3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

You have winter out there???:D Tim Jones

4. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

That's easy to do:D It's really nice to watch her working on stuff, she gets in her zone , I don't think she knows I'm there half the time:eek: Hardcore car Gal :),,,, Tim Jones

5. Does she give lessons to wives???

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

hey tim, good to see you have help! i have been goofing off instead of working on car, but back in the mood now! son has been wanting to help, so were getting back at it. new motor in tow vehicle, so back to the car. have to get body panels made up. have a friend with a slip roll, so here we go. looks like your keeping busy.

7. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

Hey way to go Carl, Your wife will be upset with me and I don't even know her. But No I don't give lessons, don't even know why I do what I do myself. I have been messing with cars or messing up cars since I screwed up my first friction car when I was less than 2, so go figure. Beth

8. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Sounds good Rich , send me some pics of your body panels and I'll post them on your thread for you,,,, Tim Jones

9. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Not much new to report ,burned up my angle grinder so fitting the braces is on hold til payday:mad: Beth is still working on her blower intake, tacked a few of the intake runners , still practiceing her welding, Garrett worked with her the other day said she's doing good ,unlike me, she had no bad habits to break:eek:,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good.NOW,you have someone to keep you on the straight and narrow.Hehehe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

11. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Leo , My path has never been in a straight line :D:D:D,,, Tim Jones

12. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Looks like you have really good partner:)
    My better half can do a lot, but outside the garage:D! Maybe I can send her on a course at your place:) Ore just settle with Roger:)

Is this the final blower manifold? or are you gone make another?

K

Taildragger&fenderless

13. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

You might be safer sticking with Roger:D Mine for the 6-71 blower is done, But it still might not be the last:eek:, the one Beth is working on is for a smaller 4-53 she wants to run on the older motor, But I think she just wanted to build one for herself:D,, Tim Jones

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Beth is still working on her welding so she had me weld the runners on her blower intake,,See I still get to work on my car sometimes:D:D,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

15. Thats really lookin good Tim/Beth what are you gonna do for the plenum??

16. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

She cut out a box type like my other one, just have to finish welding the seams and cut the openings,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

17. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

We put the scattershield on a block and put it into the frame to redo the engine mounts, half way through I remembered I had to remove the old firewall mounting tabs:rolleyes:, Beth jumps right in when there's work to do on the dragster, She had to mock up her blower intake as soon as the block was in the car:D,she also bought a set of pie crust slicks for the car,:) She's a car guys dream:D,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

18. [​IMG]

Now thats just way too cooolll

19. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Man you guys are kicken ass! lucky you don't have TV reception to slow you down.

20. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Yeah Bob no TV is a good thing, Beth is getting used to it:rolleyes: tho missing football games still bugs her:mad:, Me I Don't remember the last time I had TV chanels, didn't have it when I lived along the Platte River either,From what I've seen at my kids , I'm not missing much:D We Just watch DVD's:),,, Tim Jones

21. lizbeth

lizbeth
    from Panama IA

You're right Carl this is just way too cool, Working with Tim makes it cool:D Thanks Carl,,, Beth

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Snowed in today:p, Yesterday we drilled the port runner holes in the bottom of the plenum for the blower intake Beth is building, Beth got to learn how to use the Green machine, one of favorite machines at the shop:D Garrett and her will weld the plenum seams up next week, and after she does some grinding matching the runners to the plenum box we'll weld it all together,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

23. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Still helping Beth on her T speedster, Figured out my motor mount changes,engine plate and mid mount will now be on the other side of the mid chassis bar, I had to change the steering mount it will be above the new scattershield right in the center, also need to move the throttle pedel and change the clutch pedel, SHIT that's alot of stuff to change:eek:, plus the side braces by our feet,, O well better safe than sorry:), Also because neither of my firesuits fit Beth worth a dam , I picked up one from a buddy of mine and sold my smaller one to pay for it, still got my fat guy suit for myself:D Man she's my kinda woman , when she saw the suit you'd think I got her a giant diamond:eek: She put it on right away and went out to test the fit in the car, she said it felt good, but needed to change the way she gets out now:rolleyes:,, Tim Jones BTW Now she wants me to finish putting the KB together:eek:

Attached Files:

24. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

What I am about to say might offend someone on this board, but I will risk it.

Aluminum must be very clean to weld properly, Plazma slag and the mill finnish of the surface itself must be removed, Doing that will make welding it 30% eaiser besides looking better. Prepping the surface can be done mechanicly buy sanding and finnished by scrubing with a stainless brush and a wipedown with acetone (also scrub the filler wire) or chemicly with a caustic soda bath.

Also after tacking stick the part in an oven to take the chill off. A neet thing to see is run a flame over the surface and you will notice a shadow moving away from the heat---thats surface moisture

25. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Well Bruce I'm sure you know my feelings don't get hurt very easily, and getting advice has never offended me,Plus I know I'm a amateur Tig welder at best, your input is always welcome, I'll clean the pieces better and try the acetone wash , Thanks Tim Jones

26. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The only difference between an amateur and a professional is practice

And Never use brake clean on the material before welding---period!!!!!

27. And Never use brake clean on the material before welding---period!!!!!

x10!!!!!<!-- / message -->

28. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

This will probally be a no brainer question But,, what does brake clean do to the piece? Tim Jones

29. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Breath the fumes and you will die

30. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

It's not what it does to the piece, but what it can do to you, brake clean when heated creates Phosgene gas. Click on the link below!!!
    http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm