Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chassis Research style dragster/Comp Coupe build flathead powered

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dragsled, Nov 20, 2011.

1. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

2. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

:) That is going to be nice truck Tim:)

K

Taildragger&fenderless

3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Kjell did somemore work on it and this time filled it with fuel ,ran much better:eek:, Here the link to the build thread on it , more pics of how it's going , http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813090 ,,Tim Jones

4. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Not much new on the race car, No extra funds to spend on it so I keep it covered in the shop:(, But I did get the driveshaft for it , One of the funny Car guys had a short 16 spline section , easier to go this route compared to machineing the whole thing, So any progress is good, Been staying busy redoing the hauler, extended the ramps to center the weight better,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

5. That looks stout enough Tim!!!

6. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Carl, I figure if it will hold up to a nitro car it will hold up to an old Flathead:D,,,,, Tim Jones

7. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

You never know Tim, the L-Head might need stout parts!:D;)
    Lots of bolts and nuts came loose on my last test n tune:)

Kjell

Taildragger&fenderless

8. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

I can only hope:D ,,, Tim Jones

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Tim, That truck will be awesome! Nice work!

10. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Not alot new, Still working on the hauler, This week I'll pull the motor out of the car and get the sleeve replaced, My new shop dog, Sweetie ( named after the meanest dog I ever owned ):eek: Can't wait to get started:D,,, Here's a shot of the truck and sweetie,, BTW she has no problem going toe to toe with the older dogs, must be the name:rolleyes:,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

11. carshopowner

carshopowner

I love the truck, not to forget the car.

12. T27owner

T27owner
    from Nebraska

Your dog sleeping under the car reminds me of someone:D Do you have a recording for it "YES CARL"

13. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

HA HA I was just telling one of the guys about when Carl came in my work bay and Says what the fuck are you doing? sleeping under that truck!! I laughed and said Yep and the sound of your cowboy boots clicking down the hallway is my alarm:D:D

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Glen , are you getting the dragster sorted out?

15. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Hey Tim , Did you see that Crack in the front axle????

16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

17. 54popular

54popular

18. 54popular,

Are you in the CR goup on here? I think I posted a link to my Photobucket page a few years back when I scanned all of that stuff and uploaded it. There is a few guys on here that sells them and blueprints.

19. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Funny guy, Bruce, , After looking at the pic and going out and checking the casting lines on the axle I relized I didn't reinstall my kingpin wedge bolts last time I had the front end apart, So you did your good deed for the day:D

20. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

21. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Now that I have the truck where it will move around:confused: , back to the task at hand, Fixing The comp coupe motor :D, Here's a short video of driveing the truck out of the field after the brakes didn't hold it backing up a foot or so:rolleyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewE6vg-U53w&feature=youtu.be,,,,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

22. That thing just looks mean!!!

23. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Sure does!:cool:

24. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks guys , I hope this ole dog has alittle BITE:D to her when it's all done and not turn out to be some toothless old mut :eek: ,,,,, Tim Jones

25. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Since I'm going to pull the motor and repair the block I decided to take strip the car to do a couple other things I've been wanting to do this winter, add some side bars by my legs, and that means changeing the steering alittle to remove the trans,plus I sure I'll come up with more to keep me busy this winter:D, Here's some pics of taking the body off, Always good to have some old flathead heads around for counter balance, looks like the pup claimed the body and stand as her new dog house:rolleyes:,,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

26. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Tim, it's abit strange, as you think everything is done, NOOO. then it's something that needs to be moved or altered;):)!?

What are you gone do with the Flathead?

K

Taildragger&fenderless

27. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Yeah Kjell it doesn't help being short on cash,, sitting around thinking of stuff to build or do to keep things moving along,but at the same time it's a matter of pride to be able to build things instead of buying them for the car,, as for this motor I'm gonna replace the bad cylinder sleeve and freshen it up , this is still the carb motor just to work out the chassis bugs before doing the blower motor ( That I can't aford :D ) the block for it is still at the machine shop, so for now between the race car and hauler I'm staying busy and out of trouble:rolleyes:,,,, Tim Jones

28. Yea Tim being short on cash is a flatheadders age old problem, espically when you are retired but thass why we build things and resurrect old parts into something usable.......
    Yep the pooch sure looks happy........

29. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Got the other head off the other night, and the motor out, Strange thing,, I had another sleeve break down the like the one the other side of the motor, these sleeves look to be paper thin at the top ,, Is this the way they were done before, or is this the way flatheads are done, the only other engine sleeves I've messed with were on the Hemi fuel car motors and diesel motors and they all have alot of meat at the top of the sleeve, I thought Carls sleeves were the same thickness from top to bottom,, I guess the machine shop can take alook also when I take it down there ,,,Just wondering? Tim Jones I found a pic of the damaged sleeve from the other side

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  30. Yea Tim my sleeves are concentric I leave about 3/8" on the bottom to set the sleeve in then bore to dia........