Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chassis Research style dragster/Comp Coupe build flathead powered

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dragsled, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Mine was set up for a 58- 60 GM 3 speed. Then they ran 2nd and high. We chose a PG. I used a bar in the mains like you are talking about. Then we bolted it all up and it wasn't so lined up. My buddy 3dnsouth made a output shaft with a centered hub to check alignmen with. I've been adjusting with that and mounting the engine tranny with shims. Aligning like you would a coupler for pump shafts. I've got 2 58 gm 3 speeds if that would help. They are short, like 16". We went auto cause we just want to hammer and go. No clutch etc. woosed on the totally manual stuff. Then got a strange coupler for the pinion and output. Pm me if you need those trannys. They are cheap but hgard to find the short ones.

2. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

here's some more pics of putting thing together this summer, Got a cool looking fuel tank ,around 4 1/2 gals kinda big but has a good look for the car,besides I don't plan on setting the world on fiire with this car just want to go out and have some fun , made some mounts and brackets , cut the mounts out at work with the plasma cutter

Attached Files:

3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

More pics ,I'll be glad when I get caught up on this build thread, had to do a little sectioning on the wishbones , Mike told me to take a 3/4 inch pie cut out of the bones where the axle brackets meet the tube and the wishbones should mount right up, the guy knows his shit ,worked out perfect, bought some wishbone frame mounts from speedway ,worked out good

Attached Files:

4. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Here's the front wheels and tires picked them up this summer, they are 21 inch halcrafts with 3.00 x21 tires I could say i was going for the motorcyle wheel look but honstly these were the first ford spindle wheels I found ,Glad I did kinda hard to find ,plus these were really nice, also picked up some chrome ford spindles

Attached Files:

5. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

looking good man, keep the pics coming cant wait to see it all finished up

6. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

here's some more pics of lineing up the motor and rearend ,found them digging through pics, hung the rearend from my winch to make it easier to handle

Attached Files:

7. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Mike still locating all the build pics, getting close to where I'm at now

8. Forgot you were running a flat head. I thought there would be a lot of adpaters for flat to GM trans. Lot stonger than the old ford stuff. What's your thought on shocks?

9. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Just gonna run the over axle spring

10. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Made a chute mount for the car more than likely will never need one but one never knows

Attached Files:

11. Is that the way?

12. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

I've seen them ran both ways, Mike Wagner said it would be fine either way ,I guess I'll find out one way or another

13. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

looking great! Happy it has a flatty!

14. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Well after i got all my mounts an brackets tacked on ,it was time to take it all apart and haul it to work to have the guys tig it up for me,

Attached Files:

15. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

We decided to make a seat for along as it was there

Attached Files:

16. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

tudor, the 1958 prints i have had it with spring over, with the option to buy a CR axle with a rubber biscuit style suspension. no shocks on the front on the prints that i have. they are original Scotty finn prints so thats what i usually go by unless the customer specifically request other wise

17. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Dimitri ,maybe sometime I'll come out to Cal, and race with all you guys running flattiies

18. Cool - Thanks for the reply. I've seen a couple with friction shocks but there isn't a great way to do it with our set up. Have no idea if they'll help or not. Like he said, we'll run and see!

19. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Hey Tudor there's a company called obrien truckers he's on the HAMB O DEX he's casting CR steering wheels, dash plate and gas peddles and the friction shocks, plus parts for the lynwood cars

20. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

After getting home with the car from the welding shop at work ,I got to paint it and start putting it back together

Attached Files:

21. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

First had to get the car down off the work bench used my winch that I have mounted to the rafters in the shop ,easier on the back

Attached Files:

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Now to see how well the motor fits still, must of did things right fit right in ,sorta had to trim the alum mounts for a few welds nothing too drastic tho ,Thats where it sits now need to get axles, brakes, finish steering and a bunch more things I didn't think of, and for those who care, don't worry the wheels and slicks in the pics are for another car, Finally my build thread is caught up

Attached Files:

23. Dang - Those CR steering wheels are cool! Thanks for the heads up. Wasn't up on that.

24. Good job dude, Looks great.

25. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thanks Man Yeah The CR stuff is really nice , D_Lazaris told me about them, Made my brake handle at work today and tweeked the shifter to fit better also, I'll post pics later after I fit it to the car tonight

26. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Here's the pics of the brake handle ,not as pretty as the one I used for mocking up ,but still has the look I wanted, bent and rebent the shifter ,still gonna need to change the steering box mount alittle bit,

Attached Files:

27. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Also because I'm wanting to build this car with as much handmade hardware as possible ,I asked my buddy Huck at work who came up with the seat design for the car if he could make me a butterfly steering wheel ,so useing my good one for something to go by this is what he came up with,,not bad for a guy that until mine had never touched a race car, also mounted my M&H slicks on to my wheels i'm gonna use,(the piecrust slicks will have to wait), to bad i don't have axles yet, O,well this winter sometime

Attached Files:

28. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Loveing this build,

29. Wrongway1320

Wrongway1320

Cool project . Hope to get back to restoring my TE440 - Tapia now that I have retired. Here is a thought for you the C.R. cars used 40-48 ford master cylinders 1. it uses crossbolt mounting 2. they mounted them very high ( witch makes bleeding very easy ) I mounted mine low like yours when I converted from 32-48 Ford rear end to a 55-64 chev center with the C.R. full floating ends.
    One thing to remember is the low pinion position of the 9" Ford rear end moves the axle tube higher in the car using up legroom.Also the 9" eats the most power of any rear axle.Not a problem if you have power to spare but a low power flathead needs all the help it can get. Good Luck on your project
    Wrongway
    My car was built by Bobby Tapia while he worked for Scotty It is the one that some folks asked if it had been left out in the rain as it was lower and narrower the the production line T.E440s

30. Lookin great Tim whatca gonna do to the flattie? and have you done any calcs on the rear end gears you wanna use?