Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chassis question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodjim, Mar 29, 2009.

1. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

I am redoing my 46 Merc and one of the things I want to do is change to a Must 2 front suspension so I can bag it. The car has a Volare front suspension grafted on it now.
    I would like to replace the frame, but no one makes and aftermarket and a one off would be way more than I could swing. Which leads me to finding a good used one
    The problem is that Merc frames are few and far between because they are longer than a Ford coupe
    My question is does anyone know if a 46/47 Ford sedan chassis is the same length as a Merc frame? OR
    Does anyone know of a website that shows all of the chassis dimensions for the fat fendered Fords
    Thanks in advance

2. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Whats wrong with it as is?

3. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

I dont care for the Volare suspension. To get ride height and a good ride and a cool stance I have to use dropped spindles. Thats all well, but then the car is locked into a certain ride height. I like bags because I can adjust the car.
    Also I like the Must II type suspension better

4. Same frame as 41-48 Ford, just the crossmember is moved forward 4".

5. DrJ

DrJ

Is it the same crossmember as the Ford or made for Mercury item?
    Seems to me the frame width and height would change moving forward?

6. If the front of the frame needs replacing due to the Volare install, and the rest of the frame is OK, get a front stub from Fat Man for an MII.

7. Doc, on the three 41-48 Mercurys I have done the front crossmembers are the same. The frame rails are parallel where the crossmember is and if you look at a stock Ford frame you will see the holes where the crossmember could have been riveted in for the Mercury position.

8. chris55

chris55

Just cut off the clip you have, and use an s-10 clip. Its lines right up with the frame at the fire wall. And they make bags for it.

9. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

I know the Merc is 4" longer than a Ford and I was told the frames are different. If they are the same then finding a 41-48 Ford frame is a whole lot easier. But that leads me to another question. Is the 4" difference just sheet metal hanging off the front end??

10. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

I didnt know that about the S-10. I have never been comfortable clipping a frame, mostly because I have never done it. Does it need to be done on a frame jig? If not how do you keep it square??

11. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

Don
    I contacted TCI and they didnt have one for a Merc. They can make one, but the cost was pretty steep. I will check Fatman. Thanks for the tip
    But its like I told Chris about the S-10. I dont know if I trust my skill level to clip a frame

12. Missing Link

Missing Link

13. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Alston will make you a frame anyway you want it. Be prepared to spend about $7500.00.

14. Yes, same frame. Sheetmetal and front crossmember placement are the only changes except for maybe running board brackets or a few other minor differences.