Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chassis identification - request for some HAMB assistance

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bantam, Jul 4, 2015.

1. bantam

bantam

Hi guys -

I picked up a 1937 ford slantback the other day. It has a bare chassis under it.

And it came with a second chassis that the seller included. At first I thought it was also a 1937 chassis as the frame rails look very similar but after looking at it I am questioning that as I can see differences between the two chassis. I have taken some lousy cell phone pics and am hoping you can help me clarify what the second chassis is. After we figure that out I may also need some help confirming that I have a 1937 chassis actually sitting under the slantback..

Can you please help me identify this front end and chassis from these pics. If I need additional pics please specific exactly what part of the chassis I should take pics of. It's dark in the building where its stored so difficult to get great shots.

thanks

Bantam chassis 3.jpg chassis 2.jpg chassis  1.jpg

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Looks more like 1933-34 Ford with the spring on top and front crossmember shape.

3. F&J

F&J

What he said 33-34

going by the axle I-beam style which is 33-36, but with spring above, narrows the choices to 33-34. . Also it looks like the front frame rails are "doubled up", not single like a 32

4. bantam

bantam

Thanks guys. Is there a way, beyond the vin number, to verify whether 33 or 34? Very dark in the building so finding and verying vin could be challenging.

5. titus

titus

33 and 34 have different front corssmembers once you see the pic of each its easy to tell

6. The photo you show of the front drum...37 used the wide 5 ,not as you show

7. I believe the silver frame to be a 33 because of the riveted on mounts for the radiator. Seems like I remember the '34's being integral with the crossmember. Not enough difference to matter to me unless I was doing a total correct restore. Tim

8. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

That is a 34 frame. The 34 used riveted radiator mounts but the difference is that the 34's go into the corner of the crossmember and rivet where the 33's have the back corner cut off and don't rivet where the front of the crossmember rivets to the rail.

9. The '37 should be spring in front if I am not mistaken. Those brakes in the pic would be nice to won please don't send them to the scrap. Juiced those would be slick hot rod brakes, I am not sure if anyone has done it but I don't doubt that it can be done.

10. bantam

bantam

Guys -

Thanks so much for all of the expertise. The HAMB rules even with crappy cell phone pix!

The 37 ford slantback actually is sitting on a bare frame and then all of that is sitting on top of the 34 chassis shown in my pictures. The fella I bought everything from has a fork lift we will use to get the 37 off of the 34 chassis and then out of the building. When I can get some decent pix of the 37 chassis I will post those so it can hopefully be confirmed as a 37 chassis.

Bantam