Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chassis ID help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Not exactly sure what this is, looking for some help

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

almost looks like a 46-48 Ford, eh?

Flathead_Frame_1942-46car.jpg

3. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

It looks identical to the 42 Mercury frame I parted out a couple of years ago.

4. Steering wheel looks like a 42?? But I don't see a column shift so maybe a truck?

5. alchemy

alchemy

The column drop has the notch on top for the column shift, so maybe that part was just removed?

The Chassis Engineering catalog used to have pics of two types of center crossmembers for the 42-48 Fords and Mercs. Some were riveted, and some were welded like this one. But the catalog didn't specify which years were which.

6. Is that a battery box just inboard of the right front tire?
    Maybe a close-up pix of it would help ID the chassis?

7. Look at the serial number on the frame close by the steering box mount; that will tell you where it is in the range from '42-'48.

Just Gary likes this.
  8. The only 46-7-8 chassis I remember with the Rear spring spacer is Truck chassis but I didn't think they had the Body out riggers on them due to the Bed mounting through the top of frame rail. I must be forgetting something. I do see the shift tube mount behind the bell but a bit obscure due it to being turned 90 degrees.
    The Wizzard

Atwater Mike likes this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Agreed, '46-'48. (by wishbone shape, steering wheel, mainly)
    RichB: Good one! Frame# is the answer.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The lever shocks suggest (to me, at least) '42 through early '47. I believe shocks were switched to tube shocks somewhere during the '47 model year. My '47 Coupe had tube shocks and all appeared original to the chassis. Also, battery tray was in that location. Wouldn't take long to take a tape measure to the wheelbase and rule out Mercury, which as I recall, are about 4" longer than Ford.

Ray

Just Gary likes this.
  11. Maybe Merc with those set back motor mounts

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I don't recognize that 3-bar horn ring...Maybe Canadian Merc?

13. This is a rear cut off of 41 frame on top of a 33/34 frame
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

These are sorta close but still different.
    The straight rear spreader and no front spreader point to 41 as do the speed holes behind rear spring crossmember
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

14. Can anyone tell about the brake backing plates?
    Bestest of the shitty pics
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

15. Looks like 46-48 by the wishbone, you can look at spindle... 37 to 41 was rounded, 42-48 square type...

Sent from my SM-G610M using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

17. JROTTEN

JROTTEN

RICH B likes this.
  18. thanks guys !!

I'm guessing some of the Mercury stuff is different than Ford?

19. Fordors

Fordors

Mercury will be 118” wheelbase compared to the Ford @ 114”. Suspension will be the same, and while I don’t know about the ‘46-‘48’s the extra 4” was added in front of the firewall on the earlier Mercury’s requiring a different wishbone mount. The front axle on a ‘48 would be drilled between the king pin and perch bolt for a tube shock so that points to the axle being ‘46-‘47, but regardless the lever shocks are still in place so for sure it is not a ‘48 chassis.
    If the w/b was lengthened in front of the firewall on Mercury’s then the steering column and mast jacket might be longer too.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018