Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chassis / Frame table working height?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 35chevy, Aug 19, 2019.

1. 35chevy

35chevy

In your opinion, what height do you like to do frame work? I have a pair of JW Garage 32 rails and I need to build a table or jig to get me started. I'd like to see what you have used if you have photos. Please dont beat me up too bad over this question, I did a brief search with limited time at work, but didn't come up with a lot of dimensions. I have two 7 ft long I beams and several pieces of material that i can use for legs and bracing. I need some ideas and your opinions are welcomed! Thanks!

2. jimmy six

jimmy six

18-24" depending on the the height of your roll around seat..

Redrodguy and 35chevy like this.
  3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I figure about this high..... oh, you can't see my hand. never mind

scotty t likes this.
  4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine is right at 3 feet. Your mileage might vary.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. krylon32

krylon32
    Alliance Vendor
    from Nebraska

The table I've built 100's of chassis on is about 32 inches.

Hnstray, 35chevy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. I think it depends on your height and how comfortable you are, the one I use is just about 40 inches high. HRP

35chevy likes this.
  7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I have one that measures from a low of 26" to a high of 30" it depends on what you do the most of, it also has wheels which I can take off or put the larger set on. There isn't a perfect height. I have done several roll cages and bars as well as just chassis. The lower adjustment makes welding on the top of roll bars easier etc.

Pat

35chevy likes this.
  8. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Mine is 36" and although it is perfect for chassis's, if I install a body on the frame it is difficult to work on upper sections of bodies for fitment of doors and such. Keep that in mind.

35chevy likes this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

"Limited time at work "? There is at least 8 hours a day isn't there?:D Make the table jig adjustable unless it is a one time job and your going to dismantle it.

35chevy likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have to say that the guys showed that there is no all inclusive perfect height. My knees don't let e stand doing any task for any length of time. I'm with Jimmy Six in that what is most comfortable to get to from my roll around SnapOn brake stool is the right height for me. Others don't have an issue standing up all day. Some are taller and want it a little higher some are shorter and want it lower.
    I used to run around with a guy who was several inches taller than me and everything in his shop was about 4 inches too high for my comfort but he was perfectly comfortable. His Mutt and Jeff best friend had a wood box that he would place in front of the bench to be able to work at it.

This photo is of bench grinder/vise stand I bought off a guy a few years ago that sits on a semi truck brake drum. This was taken a few minutes before I cut away what welds held the piece at the top on and lowered the top to 30 inches so I could actually work with the vise. Guy who had it had bought it from some guy who was about 6 ft 8 and didn't use it because he couldn't work comfortable.
    [​IMG]

Oldioron and 35chevy like this.
  11. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Might be lower for a frame table but years back I started building everything at 36" high and on wheels. It makes it nice when can roll the table saw over and use as a support. Workbench the same height as the band saw table ect.

Happydaze, Hnstray and 35chevy like this.
  12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've used four different tables and all were about 24", the thing about the body on holds true.

35chevy likes this.
  13. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Top of jig frame is 32". I raised this Model A frame to eye level for my convenience. When I get everything located and tacked in place, I'll drop the car's frame back down to where it's comfortable to work on. I'm 74 and don't bend as well as I used to. Stock A crossmember.jpg

mgtstumpy, Hnstray and 35chevy like this.
  14. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

What height is your workbench? If it is comfortable for you than set your table so the working height of the chassis is the same. Since the chassis is held off the table by standoffs err to the lower height.

15. bct

bct

on a side note. 7 feet might be a bit short. tip to tail a 32 frame is over 12 feet.

RICH B likes this.
  16. 35chevy

35chevy

Thanks you all for your comments! It sounds like I need to make the table adjustable so that it will be comfortable when working on the frame, and can be lowered to a comfortable height for working on the body. I'll do some mock ups at the heights you all suggested and see what works for me and see what kind of adjustable legs I can come up with.