Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Chassis Engineering inc. shipping rates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Dec 29, 2016.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And if you aren't happy with the service, they can just fire a missile through your living room window...:eek::p

Slopok likes this.
  2. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Interesting thread for me to read because I sell LOTS of parts on the HAMB and the Ford Barn and the number one issue for my buyers is shipping! No one wants to pay shipping but it is necessary! Many do not know that all shipping has gone to dimensional weight to calculate the cost. That means that things the dont weigh much but won't fit in small boxes cost more to ship than a few years ago. Many think that USPS flat rate boxes are the end-all cure and they certainly often work, but you are not allowed to "cram" parts that dont fit in the box and tape over the top. A small flat rate box is now at $6 and the medium is at $14.
    I pride myself in packing my sold parts well so they arrive safely. I also use insurance to cover the cost of the part. USPS only provides $50 insurance with more available at a cost. UPS provides $100 insurance with more available at a cost. Amazon sells most items with free shipping because they have 2000 more of the same item in the warehouse... and they are not original 32 Ford grill shells.
    Last thing I want to add about this thread is I have a pair of new Bob Drake motor mount biscuits with the steel washers and they are still in the original wrapping. I would sell the pair for $25 plus shipping. I charge exactly what the shipping is, I do not pad the shipping cost. These will NOT fit in a USPS small flat rate box but they will for sure fit in a medium flat rate box... but that may not be the cheapest way to ship them. Amen? Amen!

3. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

They'll fit in a flat rate padded envelope.$7 shipping.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You can get those parts from your local NAPA,the mounts I used to put the 351 in my 55 sunliner uses them and they did not last very long so that is where I got the replacements and did not have to pay any shipping.

5. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dealing with the manufacturer can be expensive because you are just buying one whereas his distributors are buying quantity. I live just down the road from Kirkey which is located in Ontario. I phoned them to get a seat for the race car. They gave me a price and then told me to go to Speedway all the way in the Midwest US and buy it cheaper which I did. Shipped free to my drop point at the border. Volume has it's advantages. When I was in business, we shipped dozens of orders everyday. The product had a price and you got a discount based on Volume. To further encourage volume sales, we deducted 5% of the order total from the flat rate shipping cost. So a $5 dollar part cost you $5 for shipping but the $100 dollar multiples of parts cost you $0 for shipping. It worked. This seems to be what a lot of companies are doing today with their free shipping over so many dollars.
    Shipping is a big part of any order and can't always be based on part size or cost. The thing that gets me is on Ebay and other such sites, you search a product and the prices for the same item are all over the map and usually the cheapest item has the highest shipping. I guess the profit has to come from somewhere.

Warren

ems customer service likes this.
  6. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easy way to look at this. When you're looking at the price you don't say " The part is $10 and shipping is $5". You say "This part will cost me $15. Is it worth that to me?" All that matters is the total cost, not how you divide it up. If it's not worth the price to you look somewhere else.

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

See this all the time. No, boxes and labels of course aren't free but oftentimes something that would fit in a standard sized business envelope and a few stamps arrives in a big ass box.

8. RMONTY

RMONTY

I wondered if the manufacturers don't "help" build their dealers business/client base by giving the shipping to the dealers at cost when they dropship from the factory....would seem like smart business

9. EXACTLY!! Give that man a ceegar.

10. Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

We know bookkeeping is fundamental to the long haul achievement of each business. But will you please share which bookkeeping services you are using now? I am willing to take a bookkeeping services subscription from zipbooks. They says its free to use.

11. Martin Thompson

Martin Thompson

^^^ This.

12. My money says the OP was ordering online. What he didn't figure out was the software added $18 for every line item he would have ordered. What it comes down to is, the software they use isn't intelligent enough to know what shipping actually costs for every part number they have on sale, so it just adds $18 for each line.

Call them up and order by phone to avoid this. Or if you pay it online, you will receive a check in the mail later on with a refund for the excessive shipping charges. Is it a great solution? No. But they aren't getting rich off shipping charges. And my experience has been the online shipping estimates from UPS, etc are notoriously inaccurate, and ALWAYS quoting lower costs than the guy at the counter does when you go to actually ship it.

In other news, when I used to sell a lot more stuff online, shipping costs were a common complaint. One guy even complained after he got the part, and what I had charged him was less than the actual shipping turned out to be. The punchline is, the shipping cost I paid WAS POSTED ON THE BOX and he still told me I was charging too much. I hate shipping things...

olscrounger and stanlow69 like this.
  13. theBo'B

theBo'B
    from Mesa, Az.

I've got it... Put some $3.00+ gas in your Hot Rod and drive down to Iowa and pick it up yourself...

ems customer service likes this.
  14. coast40

coast40

BTW, labels and printers were free with the UPS shipping system we used in our office.

15. ems customer service

ems customer service

free because your boss paid for them????

16. Chassis engineering is closing up shop.
    No need to worry about their rates, now all we need to worry about is getting good parts.

warbird1 likes this.