Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Chassis Engineering inc. shipping rates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Dec 29, 2016.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I was going to order new engine mounts from Chassis Engineering, the round kind with the steel ring around them. The mounts are $34 and they want $18 to ship them to me. They are in IA, and I am in WI. They will only ship UPS, what a bunch of bullshit. Why is it some companies think they have to retire on shipping charges.I have no problem paying s/h, but that much for a part that weighs nothing, not happening on this side of the creek.
    If someone is placing a order and wants to through these on your order, I will pay you for them and willing to pay for them to be shipped to me. A priority mail 3 day shipping box is $4.95. Here is what I was going to order,
    SS-0011 Universal Engine Cushion Set 1 $34.00

I also know that this is a small amount compared to what I have into my truck, but there has to be something better. I have a hard round rubber disc now, almost like a hockey puck. Working good so far.

Rant done and I feel better now.

Tony

2. Roadsir

Roadsir

There was just a favorable thread regarding CE where they credited the guy after they calculated actual shipping charges.

Buying from one of their dealers and you'll save, this is true with a lot of manufacturers as they would rather deal with the dealers than people like you ;). There listed on EBAY from Yogi's with $34 and 8.99 shipping.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Sporty45

Sporty45

4. Truckedup

Truckedup

A small Priority mail box is about $6.50 not $4.95...And they may not fit in the small box..In a non priority box sent Priority it should be 7-10 bucks...
    The UPS rate for that is closer to 10 bucks...Many companies just average out shipping costs...It may not be fair to you but it is the way it is....
    Sometimes when you need something that no one else makes you just have to dance with the devil ;)

5. Roadsir

Roadsir

Or speedway has them for 19.99. I think there min. freight is 7.99.

6. Roadsir

Roadsir

Now you're going to owe @Sporty45 and me a Beer, so that's like $4 each!

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Rjays also carries the correct rubbers and they are an alliance vendor as well I believe

8. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I know Speedway sells them, but in another thread it was stated that the Speedway ones were junk and to use the chassis engineering.
    I understand dancing with the devil, but this time I'm kicking him in the nuts.
    I'll look into Rjays, I would rather give money to a alliance member.
    Thanks Tony

Atwater Mike likes this.
  9. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Roadsir, I would rather buy u a beer than pay that shipping.

10. I have never had a problem with CI,I have used a lot of their parts over the years but I rarely buy just one part. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. So there used to be shipping and handling charges - now it's just shipping right because the stuff jumps off the self into your box prints it's label and jumps onto the ups truck.

Boxes are free, labels are free

crminal, tikiwagon13, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  12. Check out Hot Rod Hardware. I have bought several Chassis Engineering kits though them when the shipping was real high from CE. It was over $100 bucks to ship a rear leaf kit on their website, Bought the same kit from Hot Rod Hardware and it was $65 I think. they have lots of good stuff and they are selling the Aviator Gauge panels that a HAMBer is making, so the must be half way good. No problems from them and good service.

http://www.hotrodhardware.com/

13. alchemy

alchemy

Boxes aren't free. Labeling isn't free.

If you buy from Yogi's they are about a half hour closer to you, so the shipping might be cheaper that way. Or just call CE and explain that you are worried about the large shipping charge and they may say it's actually cheaper.

14. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

31Vicky, I understand the cost of shipping, and handling, my comment was it shouldn't be over half the price of the part to ship.
    HRP, I looked for other parts to buy and couldn't find them. I assume looking for clips to hold the brake and fuel lines to the frame. I would order some nickel copper line for fuel if I could find it. I have no problem paying for shipping I just think that over half is just to much.
    I also am not complaining about quality of parts, just the price to ship a small part. I might call them and ask about the shipping price.
    Tony

15. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is what you should have done instead of first criticizing a very well known and well respected company on the internet. There isn't anything anybody on the HAMB can do to reduce the shipping charges, but you knew that.

partsdawg, Hnstray, da34guy and 2 others like this.
  16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Price of cost of item to cost of shipping ratio?

That is the beef??

Maybe they should charge more for the item..

Oh wait, you chose not to order the parts..

This rant is pointless.

17. I'm thinking that if the engine mounts biscuits were $1.00 or $1,000 that the cost of getting them in your hands is the same and equally irrelevant.

Yea this rant is pointless
    No you don't understand handling, boxes, processing, expediting, logistics. All above and beyond the Ups charge

Hnstray and da34guy like this.
  18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Until recently, most mail order companies refused to use Priority Mail because there was no way to track a box. Now that tracking is built into the price, most MO companies use it for small parts. However, unless you're shipping a lot of small parts, it's a PIA. Having owned a MO business, guys bitching about the cost of shipping don't have a clue.

19. williebill

williebill

Wasn't planning on adding to this thread until I read the part about the cost of the item vs. the freight.
    One doesn't have dick to do with the other.
    Like arguing with your mechanic that the $2 part shouldn't cost $100 to install.
    Not taking any sides here, but as others have said, boxes, labor, etc. ain't free. If you get free freight fuzzy feelings, then try to buy it from Amazon. I personally won't ever buy from them, cause I don't want it to be a Walmart/Amazon world, but that's another topic.

20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Dealt with a company many years ago for some parts, about 6 items that could have all fit in a single box packed right, but no, they sent them all seperate boxes with S&H on each

21. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Just call Chassis Engineering and explain that the shipping charge is too high. They are good people and maybe they will work with you on the shipping.

22. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Not defending CE but UPS has taken a significant jump in freight. Trans kits that I used to ship for $20 are now getting close to $35 for the same product going to the same place. I try and use USPS Priority shipping whenever I can even though I have to haul it 4 miles to the Post Office. Not a big deal but it takes time. Shipping consumes a big part of some days in my shop, time that is taken away from chassis work.

23. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I just ordered partsfrom a place in IA, they weighed about 2 pounds. I ordered them at 2 pm and they were dropped of the next day at noon. The parts cost $45 and s/h was $5, I didn't pay for next day that is just what they charged.
    I never once bad mouthed the quality of parts from CE, just the shipping cost.
    31Vicky I owned my business for 2 years, and shipping was a big part of it. I also worked for the USPS for awhile, so I do have a idea.
    If you can call them and complain about the s/h charges as stated here, and they will adjust to the actual price, then why not do it from the beginning. O I know they get that extra dollar.
    Tony

oldwagonlover likes this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Has anyone had engine mount biscuits go 'flat' after a couple of years (or months) usage?
    Some guy was at Billetproof some time back, showed us his biscuits (stainless ring around) and both were flattened out, took a rubber shit from the center...NO oil on them, just bad rubber.
    There was a brief thread on similar biscuit failure, (PLEASE don't start with the "Oh, they were overtightened, what'd you expect?") thread mentioned a few instances.

There are no sources that I know of for GENUINE N.O.S., so after some research, I found some TRANS-DAPT biscuit sets, ranging widely in price, depending on where you get them.
    The really COOOOOL part is that they have the steel convex covers over the tops of the biscuits!
    You can chrome 'em, and from that time they were popular, they were considered "Real George"!
    ...Just a suggestion, not to be taken too serious...

25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Shipping,,,
    Yea it even kills me.
    We ship the calendars in Priority Boxes, which are free from the PO, once we go and get them from the PO.
    At home we can go to the PO web site and print the labels (we buy at Staples). And the gamble is, will what we charge our customers come close to the shipping charges. We give a rate with the web site orders but I have to go through and estimate charges, and if I forget one then no shipping is applied, like the one to Alaska that the shipping was more than the sale on the calendar, and the one to AUS.
    So as I was saying we hope the shipping we charge will cover the actual costs. Then we prep the boxes, tape them up and the next day we drive them to the PO to be scanned into their system. We don't "pay" someone to do the work, but it is still costing us money.
    And there is the book keeping time for the Invoicing and later billing.
    I'm an artist so my time is worth 'nothing', but a business has to keep tract of every penny or they will not stay in business.
    So, to ask you What is your Time Worth?
    If you have a business, what is 30 - 45 minutes actually worth?
    Do you increase the cost of the product to cover shipping or do you just eat the shipping or do you charge???

Hnstray likes this.
  26. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Just tried calling to get to the bottom of this, and they are closed until the 2nd. I will call again then.
    Tony

27. The post office can be a pain in the ass for businesses in many cases. CE is not getting rich on this shipping. UPS ground for these mounts from Iowa to Wi cost right at $16.00, so possibly $2.00 for a box, packing material and labor is Not unreasonable.

crminal, Hnstray and prewarcars4me like this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I've had several friends have the speedway mounts collapse even after a couple months of sitting in the car in a full mock up stage. Zero driving miles and they failed

RICH B and Atwater Mike like this.
  29. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

hotroddon, I never looked up the cost at UPS, but thanks for doing so.
    Just so this is clear my complaint is that a small 2 pound box shouldn't be 18 dollars to ship. That is it period. I probably shouldn't have specified CE but that was the place I was shopping at.
    Tony

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2 here. I will NOT use them. You shouldn't either.

Nailhead Jason likes this.