Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Charlie O Hayward Heartland Express 37 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dynaflash, Aug 22, 2013.

1. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Good afternoon all. I am looking for any info on this car. Including pictures and who may own it today. The small part of the story that I have is that Charlie O was an cartoon artist for Hot Rod Magazine. The car may have even been in the magazine at one time or the other. Would love to have access to any info on the car especially, but also on the man.
    If any of you know when it was in the magazine and how I could read the article on that would be great.
    I did a google search and a HAMB search and there is very little that I could find. Not even 100% sure the car is a 37 Chevy

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember the "Heartland Express" article very well, it was a well written travelogue of the trip, problems and all. Might have actually been a '38 Chevy IIRC. Unfortunately I think Mr. Hayward died a few years back. I'd like to read it again, hope someone finds it and scans it for us.

EDIT: Here's a thread from a few years back, unfortunately he has passed on.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428962

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Yes he did pass away. I believe it was 2009 but not sure.

4. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Anybody familiar with this car? Any pictures or info on the magazine info? I can't believe a car that was in Hot Rod that was built by a staff member would be so hard to find info on but I can find nothing. Thanks for any help

5. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Really. Nobody ?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 22 track

22 track

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Dynaflash, if I get off my lazy ass and find that stuff, I'll post it here instead of pm'ing you. maybe Hemi Duece will come up with it first.

8. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Thanks in advance. I have also learned that the car had a Crower mileage system installed. I am now trying to find out some more about that. Still interested in any pictures or the magazine details on this car. Thanks

9. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

One more attempt to find info picture of this car

10. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

The car was a 1937 Chevy. I used it for inspiration also. I have the "Heartland Express" article (scanner not working at the moment). There was a little article in the back of Hot Rod when Charlie first got the car. The "Misery Mouse" 3 part with the hi-compression/late cam timing thing. Then I have seen a Hot Rod group road trip (Power Tour, Nationals, or ?) where the car is paint yellow and silver. And right now I want to say yellow on the bottom and silver over the top, but I could be wrong.
    That is the only time I knew it was painted.

11. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Thank you very much for the info. Please scan the info when you can. Very much appreciate the info

12. caseyhayward

caseyhayward
    from Boston, MA

Hi dynaflash. I am new to the boards. Your post is actually the one that brought me here. If you are still interested, I might be able to give you a little more info on the car and definitely my dad. Sadly he passed 4 years ago. He sold the car when I was 7-8 years old so I have a limited memory of it, especially tech specs. The car was nicknamed Cruz as that is what it's CA plate read. Most of it's life was spent in brown primer (my dad loved primer) but hotrod37 is correct that it got a silver/gunmetal top and yellow on the bottom before the big trip and show in Indy. Heartland Express was painted in the pin striping between the two-tone. I do not know who he sold it to. I really hope it is still out there. Let me know if you have other questions. How'd you learn about the car?

13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I remember a tech article in some mag where they widened the fiberglass rear fenders.
    I might have it handy and if I do I'll post the mag name and date for ya.

Sorry to hear he passed away.