Register now to get rid of these ads!

charging question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NCKalex, May 7, 2010.

1. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

'58 mercury medalist, 312. 12v with a generator.

voltage reads the same at idle as it does when i rev it up, no change. if i drive it around a bit the voltage drops significantly. when i turn the car off and let it sit for a few hours the voltage will read almost a full charge, and still read it when i turn it on. wtf? battery is new, i had them test it. generator is a working generator as well.

i know when i rev it it's supposed to read higher than 12v but it has no change.

2. garcoal

garcoal

voltage regulator isnt functioning. did you polarize it

3. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

yeah i polarized it, no dice.

4. Labold

Labold

I'm still bettin on voltage regulator.

5. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

i'll pick one up tomorrow. hopefully it fixes it lol.

6. 90% of the time, all things being equal, it's a problem with the regulator...

7. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

got a new voltage regulator. same problem? what gives?

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  9. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

the battery will come back up on the voltage a little after discharging but the discharged state causes a lead sulfate or something to form on the plates and it isn't soluble. As it builds up, eventually it will insulate the plates from the solution or as it drops off as a precipitate from vibration it will accumulate under the plates until it rises high enough to short the cell.

I have adjusted the regulator before it the windings are good. The old ones you can get into maintain and adjust just like points and have a high and low limit setting

10. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

i polarized the VR according to the Ford way. F to B.

the battery is a fresh one, i dont think the first part is possible, and i didnt understand your second part?

11. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

The first part is possible, and will cause a bridge between the plates killing your battery, ie dead short. The battery is useless after that unless you want to use a little redneckery and drop the battery from about a 3 to 6 inch height and break loose the bridges, don't forget to wear your hazmat suit:eek:!
    I would strap down the acid covers if you choose to try this.:D:DAlso your contacts are adjustable on your VR.

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Also, is the generator a 2 brush or 3 brush, the polarizing steps are slightly different.

13. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

battery is brand new though? ill try another battery.

how do i adjust the contacts?

14. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

2 brush.

15. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

it takes along time for a battery to get "crusted" from sitting low on voltage.
    like months.

VR-
    the cover comes off and there are coils with contact points. Use a point file to clean them up and there should be screws.
    One is a maker that energizes the windings in the generator upon low voltage and the other is a breaker that pulls the points apart when voltage is high.
    If you can adjust a pressure switch on an air compressor you can figgure out a vr.
    first vr's had a removable cover held on with screws
    Then they riveted the covers on and people just bought new ones when they started acting up
    if your running a modern vr they are solid state...buy a new one, you cant do anything with those.

16. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

alright mines removable. how do i know how much to adjust?

17. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

problem solved. turns out the wire inside for the armature had desoldered and the generator wouldn't motor also. swapped out the generator and rewired everything and now its charging

18. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

cool! if you would have had to ajust the vr you need to hook up a voltmeter and watch it. one set of ponts does the low voltage kik in and the other does the high voltage kikout

19. Labold

Labold

Glad your all fixed up.
    New wiring to boot, nice work young man.

20. rattrod805

rattrod805
    from Ventura

i just bought the car from alex and unfortunately its doing the same thing. not charging. soooo should i just repeat what you guys suggested to him?

21. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

Try taking the voltage regulator cover off. I noticed that when i had the voltmeter hooked up the battery the charging voltage dropped. i dont know if its enough not to cause it charge put i left it off. i completely forgot about it when i put it back on. try that and see if it works.

22. rattrod805

rattrod805
    from Ventura

will do . thanks man